1st Bike: Vilano Forza or Galaxy Liberty 3

ahopki01

Nov 9, 2011
I'm looking to buy my first bike! And I hope you fine folks can help me land on the best bike for my buck. Both are $600, so price is a non-factor.

Here is what I hope to get out of my first bike: lots of miles, duathalons, and sprint triathalons. maybe an olympic in a few years. if I can find a bike to last me at least 3 years, that would be great.

Please try and remove your opinions of the sites I am buying from (fwiw, I plan on exclusively using my LBS after this first purchase), and assess the two bikes objectively. What are the pros and cons of each? Which bike would you buy if you were in my shoes? I have done a load of research into the components and features of each, and I have an idea which bike is best, but I want to get some objective advice.

Thanks in advance for your insights!

Vilano Forza

Frame 6061 Double Butted Aluminum Fork 12K Carbon Front Derailleur Shimano Tiagra Rear Derailleur Shimano 105 9 Speed Shifters Shimano Tiagra Crankset FSA Vero 170mm (50,52,54cm) 172.5mm (56,58cm) 50/39/30T Brakes Promax Alloy Rims Alex R500 700c Doubled Walled CNC Machined Sides Black Anodized Tires Kenda 700c x 23c
Gravity Liberty 3

Frame Gravity RSeries Aluminum, Engineered Hydroformed Top tube, Bi-Oval downtube, S-Bend seatstays, 2xH2O mounts, replaceable rear derailleur hanger Fork Gravity Aero-profile, Carbon Fiber Straightblade, 1.125 inch steerer
Note: The Forks are BlackCarbon finish NOT Body colored Crankset FSA Vero Aluminum arms, triple ring 50/39/30T Bottom Bracket Sealed cartridge, square taper Pedals 9/16th axle, Platform pedals included Front Derailleur SHIMANO TIAGRA FD-4600 for 10 Speed
Rear Derailleur SHIMANO TIAGRA RD-4600 for 10 Speed (30 gears total) Shifters SHIMANO TIAGRA ST-4600 Triple for 10 Speed (30 gears total)

In terms of value the Gravity bike might have a bit of an edge due to the 10 speed setup vs. the 9, the frame is a bit more fancy looking and I like the clear coat finish on the carbon fork as well.

The Vilano does have a 105 rear derailleur, but I wouldn't expect much of a performance difference between Tiagra and 105.

Otherwise they both appear to be legitimate bikes of similar capability and good values - the usual buying online caveats apply. Make sure they will be a good fit before purchase.

Maydog,

Thanks so much for your insights!

Unfortunately, I am completely at a loss. Would I be a fool to pass on the 105? Are there other features that separate the bikes? If I ultimately wanted to upgrade the bike, which bike has a better foundation to do that?

Anything else to consider?

Thanks again!

The tiagra derailleur weighs about 23 grams more than the 105 - I doub't that you would notice a performance difference. You can get a 105 unit for around $50 to $70 dollars.

Upgrading a 9 speed drivetrain to a 10 speed will cost a lot more. You would need a new shifter, casette and maybe a chain. 10 speed components cost more than 9 speed. I currently ride on a 3x9 speed bike and am happy with that - but if offered otherwise equivalent bikes I would pick the 10 speed over the 9.

The gravity frame also has some interesting touches like s-bends in the seatstay and the curved top tube that make it appear more expensive. I can't tell you what each frame weighs, perhaps the distributors can. If it is any indication, gravity sells bikes with the highest end shimano components, Dura Ace, on a very similar frame (although their website says that they smooth the welds and use butted tubing on models more expensive than the liberty). The vilano is indicated to use double butted tubing.

Pending a proper fit and good assembly, either bike should suit you well.

Save the money you would have spend on these bikes, and go buy a good used bike that fits. You could very well end up with a much better frame equipped with a much better component selection.

Neither of the bikes you've mentioned are substantively better than the other.

I'm curious about your decision. I just ordered a bike Vilano Forza 1.0 and was wondering if you decided by this one.

If yes, how it works ? Good enough for commuting and just weekends rides ?