1st Indoor Park in the World Opening Day

Scott

Guest
To anyone who mocked raysmtb.com you were soooo wrong. This place rocks. I
rode my butt off today. The pics and video doesn't do it justice. There
are a few drops that I wish were bigger... maybe 6' but other than that it
is amazing! Anyone in Ohio (tri-state) area should come and check it out.

Ray is a great guy and this is the start off a new trend for MTB up in the
northern USA and Canada.

Come on down!

Scott wrote:
> To anyone who mocked raysmtb.com you were soooo wrong. This place rocks. I
> rode my butt off today. The pics and video doesn't do it justice. There
> are a few drops that I wish were bigger... maybe 6' but other than that it
> is amazing! Anyone in Ohio (tri-state) area should come and check it out.
>
> Ray is a great guy and this is the start off a new trend for MTB up in the
> northern USA and Canada.
>
> Come on down!

I wonder what the cost per sqft of that space is, not that there is
anything moving into Cleveland these days. I'm not trying to mock it,
but I just can't seem to create a viable business model for this. Even
the Van's skateparks run in the red and they use far less space. Let's
say you were able to get the space for $1.50/sqft and that's dirt cheap.
I am guessing the place has about 15,000 sq feet. That's over
$20,000 a month in rent! Let's say no one signs up for the six month
plan and they only sell day passes at $15. We're talking 1300 visits
per month, 45 riders per day just to pay the rent. That doesn't include
the heating/ac, electric, staff, insurance (god knows you'll need it),
or the cost of building the stunts. Our local club is lucky to have 20
people show for a ride and this is the NYC-Philly-DC metro area.

I could be wrong. I would love to see the business plan they pitched to
a bank, unless they are just a bunch of wealthy guys with nothing better
to do with their money.

Good luck to them.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I wonder what the cost per sqft of that space is, not that there is
> anything moving into Cleveland these days. I'm not trying to mock it, but
> I just can't seem to create a viable business model for this. Even the
> Van's skateparks run in the red and they use far less space. Let's say
> you were able to get the space for $1.50/sqft and that's dirt cheap. I am
> guessing the place has about 15,000 sq feet. That's over $20,000 a month
> in rent! Let's say no one signs up for the six month plan and they only
> sell day passes at $15. We're talking 1300 visits per month, 45 riders
> per day just to pay the rent. That doesn't include the heating/ac,
> electric, staff, insurance (god knows you'll need it), or the cost of
> building the stunts. Our local club is lucky to have 20 people show for a
> ride and this is the NYC-Philly-DC metro area.
>
> I could be wrong. I would love to see the business plan they pitched to a
> bank, unless they are just a bunch of wealthy guys with nothing better to
> do with their money.
>
> Good luck to them.
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

66,000 square feet. It is one guy $$$'ing the whole thing. The business
model isn't that aggressive because remember Cleveland is like the poorest
city in USA. I have been to every major US city and lived in most.
Cleveland ain't that great I know but even we get way more than 40 people
out for local XC rides and we are up to 15 to 20 showing up for local DH/FR
sessions.

The park is getting more than that.

Scott wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>I wonder what the cost per sqft of that space is, not that there is
>>anything moving into Cleveland these days. I'm not trying to mock it, but
>>I just can't seem to create a viable business model for this. Even the
>>Van's skateparks run in the red and they use far less space. Let's say
>>you were able to get the space for $1.50/sqft and that's dirt cheap. I am
>>guessing the place has about 15,000 sq feet. That's over $20,000 a month
>>in rent! Let's say no one signs up for the six month plan and they only
>>sell day passes at $15. We're talking 1300 visits per month, 45 riders
>>per day just to pay the rent. That doesn't include the heating/ac,
>>electric, staff, insurance (god knows you'll need it), or the cost of
>>building the stunts. Our local club is lucky to have 20 people show for a
>>ride and this is the NYC-Philly-DC metro area.
>>
>>I could be wrong. I would love to see the business plan they pitched to a
>>bank, unless they are just a bunch of wealthy guys with nothing better to
>>do with their money.
>>
>>Good luck to them.
>>
>>--
>>o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>>www.schnauzers.ws

> 66,000 square feet. It is one guy $$$'ing the whole thing. The business
> model isn't that aggressive because remember Cleveland is like the poorest
> city in USA. I have been to every major US city and lived in most.
> Cleveland ain't that great I know but even we get way more than 40 people
> out for local XC rides and we are up to 15 to 20 showing up for local DH/FR
> sessions.
>
> The park is getting more than that.

That's a big space to light, heat, and pay rent on. Best bet would be
to add a bar, video games, club, and turn it into a mini Dave and
Busters with a MTB park. Liquor would sure ease the pain in many ways :).

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> That's a big space to light, heat, and pay rent on. Best bet would be to
> add a bar, video games, club, and turn it into a mini Dave and Busters
> with a MTB park. Liquor would sure ease the pain in many ways :).

I agree but I believe the zoning would prohibit the booze. The place
already has a nice lobby and resting area with vending machines.

I suspect that if it is enough of a success the D&B type thing could happen.

There are people flying in from LA to check it out because believe it or not
this idea has been floating around for sometime... even in warm climate
areas. MBA, Pinkbike, Dirt Rag just to name a few have been out.

I think this thing is going to really take off. If it can make it here it
could make it anywhere.

"Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<%[email protected]>...
> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > That's a big space to light, heat, and pay rent on. Best bet would be to
> > add a bar, video games, club, and turn it into a mini Dave and Busters
> > with a MTB park. Liquor would sure ease the pain in many ways :).

> I agree but I believe the zoning would prohibit the booze. The place
> already has a nice lobby and resting area with vending machines.

Do you think the resting area might be as cool as sitting in a
13,000ft Colorado Pass? Sometimes people (NK, etc.) might even bring
a flask with a little bourbon or otherwise in it. Once on FOI, Angry
Man had a few beers to pass around before the drop (FFTF 2003).
Zoning never prohibited booze on any of the MOUNTAIN BIKE TRAILS I
ride on.

> I suspect that if it is enough of a success the D&B type thing could happen.
>
> There are people flying in from LA to check it out because believe it or not
> this idea has been floating around for sometime... even in warm climate
> areas.

So some goons from LA have more money than brains? That's a big
surprise...not.

> MBA, Pinkbike, Dirt Rag just to name a few have been out.

OOOOOH, the ragazines have been there, so that *must* make it
legitimate. HA!

> I think this thing is going to really take off. If it can make it here it
> could make it anywhere.

Yeah, it can take off alright. Whatever you want to call it, it'll
never be mountain biking. I could ride my cruiser bike on a dirt
trail in the mountains and call it mountain biking, but would never
call riding my mountain bicycle indoors "mountain biking".

JD is it live, or is it memorex?

JD wrote:
> "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<%[email protected]>...
>> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> That's a big space to light, heat, and pay rent on. Best bet would
>>> be to add a bar, video games, club, and turn it into a mini Dave
>>> and Busters with a MTB park. Liquor would sure ease the pain in
>>> many ways :).

>> I agree but I believe the zoning would prohibit the booze. The place
>> already has a nice lobby and resting area with vending machines.

> Do you think the resting area might be as cool as sitting in a
> 13,000ft Colorado Pass? Sometimes people (NK, etc.) might even bring
> a flask with a little bourbon or otherwise in it. Once on FOI, Angry
> Man had a few beers to pass around before the drop (FFTF 2003).
> Zoning never prohibited booze on any of the MOUNTAIN BIKE TRAILS I
> ride on.
>
>> I suspect that if it is enough of a success the D&B type thing could
>> happen.
>>
>> There are people flying in from LA to check it out because believe
>> it or not this idea has been floating around for sometime... even in
>> warm climate areas.

> So some goons from LA have more money than brains? That's a big
> surprise...not.
>
>> MBA, Pinkbike, Dirt Rag just to name a few have been out.

> OOOOOH, the ragazines have been there, so that *must* make it
> legitimate. HA!
>
>> I think this thing is going to really take off. If it can make it
>> here it could make it anywhere.

> Yeah, it can take off alright. Whatever you want to call it, it'll
> never be mountain biking. I could ride my cruiser bike on a dirt
> trail in the mountains and call it mountain biking, but would never
> call riding my mountain bicycle indoors "mountain biking".
>
> JD is it live, or is it memorex?

My take on this type of riding is bring it on. The more the merrier because
it keeps the boneheads off the real trails.

Two plus hours and 20 miles this morning.

Gary

GeeDubb wrote:
<snip>

> My take on this type of riding is bring it on. The more the merrier because
> it keeps the boneheads off the real trails.
>
> Two plus hours and 20 miles this morning.
>
> Gary

Lucky SOB! It was raining all night. And just to tease us poor weather
folks, it was 70F this morning but the trails were too wet! Ah well,
Jersey Devil night ride tomorrow. BTW, it went from 70F this morning to
40's tonight.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> GeeDubb wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> My take on this type of riding is bring it on. The more the merrier
>> because it keeps the boneheads off the real trails.
>>
>> Two plus hours and 20 miles this morning.
>>
>> Gary
>>

> Lucky SOB! It was raining all night. And just to tease us poor
> weather folks, it was 70F this morning but the trails were too wet!
> Ah well, Jersey Devil night ride tomorrow. BTW, it went from 70F
> this morning to 40's tonight.

The sun came out here. I"m too busy basting a turkey and supervising to
enjoy it. Tomorrow, however... Esmerlda trail head, 11 am.. come one come
all. Or would you rather go to "mall madness" You decide.

penny

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> GeeDubb wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> My take on this type of riding is bring it on. The more the merrier
>> because it keeps the boneheads off the real trails.
>>
>> Two plus hours and 20 miles this morning.
>>
>> Gary
>>

> Lucky SOB! It was raining all night. And just to tease us poor
> weather folks, it was 70F this morning but the trails were too wet! Ah
> well, Jersey Devil night ride tomorrow. BTW, it went from 70F
> this morning to 40's tonight.

Outdoor thermometer said 43 when I left the house. Bike thermometer hit 41
on the ride. It was kind of disappointing when I showed up to the ride
start (40 minutes to the meeting sight). We only had four riders show up
for our second annual turkey day ride. On the positive note one of the
riders knew of a hardly used trail that we started on (near the busiest part
of the trail network...go figure). I've been riding this area for 10 years
and didn't know about this trail. We then criss-crossed our way
over/around the main trail riding/walking having fun. I had my camera but
never took it out.....too busy riding!

Sorry about the rain.........well, not really <(;-}.

Gary (three more days of sunshine to ride in before working again)

"small change" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> > GeeDubb wrote:
> > <snip>
> >>
> >> My take on this type of riding is bring it on. The more the merrier
> >> because it keeps the boneheads off the real trails.
> >>
> >> Two plus hours and 20 miles this morning.
> >>
> >> Gary
> >>

> > Lucky SOB! It was raining all night. And just to tease us poor
> > weather folks, it was 70F this morning but the trails were too wet!
> > Ah well, Jersey Devil night ride tomorrow. BTW, it went from 70F
> > this morning to 40's tonight.

> The sun came out here. I"m too busy basting a turkey and supervising to
> enjoy it. Tomorrow, however... Esmerlda trail head, 11 am.. come one come
> all. Or would you rather go to "mall madness" You decide.
>
> penny

I just got home and it's spitting a rain snow mix right now. I need a
few palm trees.

JD

> "small change" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> > > GeeDubb wrote:
> > > <snip>

> > > Lucky SOB! It was raining all night. And just to tease us poor
> > > weather folks, it was 70F this morning but the trails were too wet!
> > > Ah well, Jersey Devil night ride tomorrow. BTW, it went from 70F
> > > this morning to 40's tonight.

> > The sun came out here. I"m too busy basting a turkey and supervising to
> > enjoy it. Tomorrow, however... Esmerlda trail head, 11 am.. come one

come
> > all. Or would you rather go to "mall madness" You decide.
> >
> > penny

> I just got home and it's spitting a rain snow mix right now. I need a
> few palm trees.
>
> JD

Hey JD,

Have you hugged your kid today, this week, this month, this year?

BBBWWAAHHAA