1st Road Bike for 100mile 1 day ride?

DanRbn

Jul 11, 2011
Hi everyone,

I've been riding a Scott Sportster P6 for the last 2 years. I used it to get me to class, work, and for some good work out rides. Could handle the potholes, some gravel trails - basically it's been perfect so far. (Oh I should point out my knowledge of bike equipment is pretty much zilch =D)

I have signed up for a 100 mile road ride to be done in a day and feel that now it's probably a good time for me to take a plunge to a real roadbike. As a cheap student still, cost still plays a really large role with me. Is the Scott Speedster S50 a reasonable bike for this to get the job done? I'm looking at it priced $699 (http://www.rei.com/product/809915/scott-speedster-s50-bike-2011). I have some loyalty to Scott because of my pleasant experience with them so far, but am really open to all suggestions, especially since I have no idea.

Thanks, any insight greatly appreciated!

Note: Meant to put this in the bike buying thread, a bit new to this sorry, not sure how to switch the forum I put it in...

When is this ride?
There aren't many people who can step right up to a drop bar bike and have it work for them, most require some pretty serious acclimatization time before they're comfortable with a drop bar.

I'd say, stay with your current bike instead, spend some money on cycling shoes, spd-pedals, maybe a nice pump with a manometer, perhaps new tires. Touring bars are reasonably inexpensive, will take your current shifter/brakes no trouble and will offer some more hand positions to chose from if you want that.

DanRbn, nothing wrong with the bike you selected if the geometry fits you. If it is any consolation I have a friend that went to the World Ironman a few years ago on a Performance brand frame with low end Shimano parts. He said people laughed at him, but he ended up placing fairly decent.

The point being is not only can one do a 100 mile ride on a low end bike, but some can do real well in competition on a low end bike because of how they train.

If you feel good about Scott that is fine. In general they make a decent frame.

With a 150mm head tube, the new Scott you are looking at seems to have the same geometry as your current Scott, position wise on the tops of the bar anyway. The drops will get you lower.

Make sure you get some regular rides in beforehand. As lovely as it is, that new bike smell will fade quickly at about mile 60 if you have not been doing your homework /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

The Scott Speedster S50 will do 100 miles. Can you? Even if you are fit, the fit of the bike and your comfort may be limiting factors. I disagree with dabac about the drop bar acclimatization period. It is different for everyone. The biggest difference is that you will be in a less upright posistion and in a more aero posistion. This could put a little more strain on your back if you have back problems, and could cause a problem if you have weak core muscles.If you are fairly healthy without back problems, then you should acclimate in three or four training rides. Just make sure that you are getting the right size frame for you. You can check your frame size by using one of the online fit calculators like this one: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

The dedicated road bike will make your century a little easier. First, you will be in a more aero posistion so there will be less air resistance. If you change your tires to a better grade tire than the Ultra Sports, you will have less rolling resistance. The only down side is the saddle. If the saddle on the Scott Speedster is comfortable, that would be great. However, if it is not, finding the right saddle can be a time consuming process. In this case, you need to contact your local bike shop and ask them if they have a saddle trial program. These let you try a saddle for a couple rides and if you don't like it, you can exchange it for another one until you find one that works.

You also need to search this site for information on nutrition and hydration. What you eat and drink on this ride could make it or break it.

Thanks for the responses so far everyone! The ride isn't until the end of September, so I still have practically 2 full months to keep preparing for it. I was thinking if I was going to make the switch to a true roadbike, I could do it within the next week or so, and still have a while to keep training as well as get used to it's different positioning and feel.

So I'm basically just trying to gauge my options while I still have a little time. Regardless, thanks for all the insight so far!

That looks like a fine choice. Will it last 100 miles? Totally. The triple crank will let you shift way low to preserve energy on climbs. A good friend of mine has ridden a similarly-equipped Specialized bike on the AIDS Lifecycle ride (7 days down California) for 4 years now.

I'd do a couple things to the bike: Flip the stem for a more relaxed position (personal opinion), and swap to wider tires, as it probably comes with 23c tires.

I found the biggest cause of fatigue brought on by equipment is the tires (more than frame materials which is the usual debate). For a 100mi ride I'd probably put some Challenge Parigi Roubaix tires, or another wider-than-23c tire, and the amount of road shock to your bones will be greatly reduced, saving all that energy for more pedaling.

You should order soon tho, as the break-in time for a bike can last a couple months with cables, spokes, etc getting out of adjustment easily.