1st road bike

senzed

Aug 8, 2003
I'm looking for a road bike but I don't know where to start. I'm planning on racing with it next spring, so if i were to get a bike I would want it to be reasonably good. 2nd hand bikes would be fine too. I'm looking at trek and cannondale right now. If I had up to 2000 dollars, what models of there bikes should i be considering.
also, how reliable is ebay when purchasing med-high quality road bikes.

thanks.

you can surely get a fine bike on ebay. however, Cannondale's Optimo frame is what I'd recommend for your 2000.00 budget. When you buy an Optimo frame with an Ultegra groupset...you are getting a hulluva bang for the buck. Your getting competition groupset and same frame that is currently ridden in the European pro peloton. Optimo is strong and light..and should last for many years. Cannondale's paint and decals are first class. Try to get your Optimo frame with Ultegra or 105 groupset. You should do fine at the local Cannondale dealer...but check ebay too.

Originally posted by senzed
I'm looking for a road bike but I don't know where to start. I'm planning on racing with it next spring, so if i were to get a bike I would want it to be reasonably good. 2nd hand bikes would be fine too. I'm looking at trek and cannondale right now. If I had up to 2000 dollars, what models of there bikes should i be considering.
also, how reliable is ebay when purchasing med-high quality road bikes.

thanks.

You'll get an awesome bike off eBay for that. That would be my recommendation. Browse for road bikes and order by price. If you think it's too risky; take a look at their feedback, anyone with a high rating and recent sales in bike related stuff should be okay...

I'm looking for a road bike but I don't know where to start.

I am going to buy a new road bike next year and I began my research two months ago. I have run the gamut from wanting a Giant OCR1/TCR2, a Fuji Robaix Pro, a LeMond Buenos Aires and so forth. I had narrowed my choices to the Trek 2200/2300 and LeMond Buenos Aires/Zurich, with the Fuji an alternate.

Yesterday, on one of my forays bugging the hell out of the LBS, I was put on to the Cannondale R1000, retail $1900. It is not full Ultrega, but a mixture of 105 and Ultrega with an outstanding wheelset, Mavic Kysriums, Ritchey stem and bars. They had a frame cutaway of the CAAD7/Optima and the Trek 2300 frames. The butting and welds of the CAAD7 seemed to my untrained eye to be better quality. The LBS said my eye was correct.

He also said the CAAD7 frame will provide the same low feedback as the 2300's alloy frame.

The LBS carries Giants, Cannondales, Treks, and LeMonds so he wasn't pushing Cannondales because that is what he had. I also asked about Klein's and he said they were also great bikes and recommended a dealer in the area.

Personally, the R1000 has zoomed to the top of my list.

how different is the trek 2300's alloy frame from the 2200's aluminum frame to a carbon fibre frame. will i feel a definite difference when I'm riding?

how different is the trek 2300's alloy frame from the 2200's aluminum frame to a carbon fibre frame. will i feel a definite difference when I'm riding?

While I have not road tested the 2300, I have talked to several owners I have encountered on my rides. Those who used to own aluminum or steel frames said the feedback on the 2300 was less than aluminum and comparable to that of steel.

Also, while all I have is the LBS's word, and I have no reason to doubt it as they have always been straight with me, the CAAD7 Optima from on the R1000 is superior to both.

But, the bottom line is to do the research then make your own decision. Testing riding around the LBS' parking lot won't tell you a whole lot, but it will give you an appreciation for feedback.

I woujldnl't buy my *first* road bike on ebay unless I test rode a mess of them... and then I'd feel like a heel for using the time and resources of a bike shop and not giving them return on the effort. (Tho' I might compromise and by *some* stuff... )
IMO what feels right is what people will ride and enjoy... but then I'm in the Not Into Pain club, myself :)

Originally posted by Geonz
I woujldnl't buy my *first* road bike on ebay unless I test rode a mess of them... and then I'd feel like a heel for using the time and resources of a bike shop and not giving them return on the effort.

Since my LBS has been more than straight with me on everything, and since they have spent a lot of time with me talking about road bikes, frames, components, etc., and since they offer free lifetime tuneups, I am going to buy from them, even if it is a few dollars more. Usually, however, their prices are at least comparable, and often times less than the competition.

Do not get your 1st bike on EBay - especially if you plan to get into racing. Go to your LBS - they will listen to you, figure out what will best meet your needs, size it correctly, and follow up. Two grand will get you a very raceable NEW bike.

p.s. - I do not work at or have a financial interest in any LBS!

I agree with BugMan. First shop for your LBS! Find a store where they're knowledgeable and talk straight (preferably a store that caters to racers and runs a club or a team since you're looking at racing) and when you've found the store, shop there for the bike.

That way you'll be fitted to the bike properly and have a setup that will be a joy to ride. The few extra dollars that you might (and only might) pay are a small price compared with the knowledge and advice that you'll be tapping in to and the free lifetime service is a huge added bonus.

My Grandfather told me "Never buy a horse from a man whose home is too far away to walk to"......

okay. Right now I'm leaning towards both the trek 2300 and the cannondale R1000. based on all of your experiences with bikes, which one would be a better value and why?

okay. Right now I'm leaning towards both the trek 2300 and the cannondale R1000. based on all of your experiences with bikes, which one would be a better value and why?

I looked at both bikes and ended up buying the cannondale (except I traded up to the r2000 for the better wheels and components)

The reason - it fit me better, I felt more comfortable on it. My LBS let me take both bikes out for a couple of miles back to back and I just felt better on the Cannondale.

Peter