1st short cycling tour - Kit!

MattWearmouth

Sep 10, 2012
Hi all,

Me and my friend are going on a cycling tour between 29th September and 5th October. We are starting in Pula and finsihing at Venice, cycling up the Croatian coast, through Slovenia and around the coast to Venice (6 days cycling and one rest day planned). We have only booked flights so far.

This will be my first tour with my bike, Ive done multiply rides in the UK (30-110 miles max). I need to buy some panniers and a rack and I was hoping to get some advice....

I have been looking at the Ortlieb back roller classics (SPA cycling for £78) and the Blackburn EX-1 rack (£20 at Evans). I know the Ortlieb's are fairly expensive, but the waterproofness and design look great. As I hope this will be the first of many cycling tours Im thinking I might as well get the best now! My question is, will 40L + a rear seatpost mounted bag (this one) and a front bag (this one, maybe one each) be enough for the two of us? We won't be camping.

If not, how much more space do you think we would need. Didnt want to shell out for 4 of the panniers. Can you suggest a suitable 'cheaper' option if we would need more space? Wanted enough space for the usual things - clothes, waterproofs (if forecast is bad!) wash stuff, bits of food, two water bottles, flip flops, plus space for two CTC Plastic Bike Bags and a small bag (that can roll up - not purchased yet!) that we are using to put the paniers etc in for the flight.

Thanks for any help.