1st time tourer seeks urgent advice!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by bob12345, Apr 22, 2003.

  1. bob12345

    bob12345 New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2003
    My plan is very simple, indeed perhaps too simple... I'm gonna go on 7th July to Calais in France, and then South, hopefully into Spain, and get a ferry back.

    Anyone have any tips regarding where to stay (youth hostel/tent...), any essential items to take, and, due to extreme apathy amongst friends, touring organisations to meet like minded people????????????

    thanks

    Tags:

  2. Tony R

    Tony R Guest

    "bob12345" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My plan is very simple, indeed perhaps too simple... I'm gonna go on 7th July to Calais in France,
    > and then South, hopefully into Spain, and get a ferry back.
    >
    > Anyone have any tips regarding where to stay (youth hostel/tent...), any essential items to take,
    > and, due to extreme apathy amongst friends, touring organisations to meet like minded
    > people????????????
    >
    > thanks

    Sounds like my first proper tour in reverse (Bilbao - London). If you're geared up for camping
    French campsites are great and plentiful. If not look out for gites d'etapes which are
    comparatively cheap and cheerful. Keep it simple I'd say, it's more fun. OTOH I'd maybe think about
    booking somewhere to stay around the 13th./14th. July in advance, have a rest day and enjoy the
    fireworks. tony R.

  3. bob12345

    bob12345 New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2003
    cheers v much

  4. bob12345

    bob12345 New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2003
    cheers v much. how far can you cycle per day on average, just to work out where i'll be -ish on the 14th july

  5. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "bob12345" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My plan is very simple, indeed perhaps too simple... I'm gonna go on 7th July to Calais in France,
    > and then South, hopefully into Spain, and get a ferry back.
    >
    > Anyone have any tips regarding where to stay (youth hostel/tent...), any essential items to take,
    > and, due to extreme apathy amongst friends, touring organisations to meet like minded
    >
    > thanks

    http://www.fastload.net Intended for pilgrims riding to Santiago has accommodation, camping and
    other pages for France plus photos and comments on riding through France twice and links to other
    useful sites.

    Bilbao city is biking heaven if you want to get the ferry back from there. (Bike paths and bridges,
    free no fuss take your bike on the local trains and underground through special wide gates, drivers
    who follow you patiently until they can pass giving you a wide margn of safety, etc.) peter
    [email protected]