1st time triath-online training??

Ptcruuzinfl

Guest
After a couple years of "taking about it"..., I have decided
to attempt my first Sprint off-road triathlon this summer. I
have raced some MTB in the past (7-10 races from 2001-2002)
and have always wanted to try this, so I am biting the
bullet and going for it. In any case I have a few basic
questions relating to training. The only way I am able to
stay in shape at 37 is if I train for *something*. Can't do
it otherwise.

* Has anyone used these online/virtual training sites? Are
they worth the $? My training so far has consisted of a
mix of off-road bike(strength & passion), weight
lifting, & running(trail, street, treadmill). I'm doing
at least one, if not two of these activites 6 days a
week. I will mix heavy days and light days, and
sometimes even take 2 days off. My real weakness is
swimming and will no doubt be my primary focus for the
next 118 days or so until the event.

I'm not looking win (but, not last)....I'm just looking to
finish alive and want to be able to say I did it. I've got
until mid July to be my best.

It is worth it if you enjoy having your own schedule and the
motivation and education a coach can bring to you. We've
been coaching athletes since 1998 and have the highest level
coaching certification from USAT. We would be happy to help
you acheive your goals, so if you get a chance please check
us out at www.bodyzen.com or email me, [email protected].
We look forward to hearing from you. Lee Zohlman BodyZen
MultiSport Coaching

"ptcruuzinfl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> After a couple years of "taking about it"..., I have
> decided to attempt my first Sprint off-road triathlon this
> summer. I have raced some MTB in the past (7-10 races from
> 2001-2002) and have always wanted to try this, so I am
> biting the bullet and going for it. In any case I have a
> few basic questions relating to training. The only way I
> am able to stay in shape at 37 is if I train for
> *something*. Can't do it otherwise.
>
> * Has anyone used these online/virtual training sites? Are
> they worth the $? My training so far has consisted of a
> mix of off-road bike(strength & passion), weight
> lifting, & running(trail, street, treadmill). I'm doing
> at least one, if not two of these activites 6 days a
> week. I will mix heavy days and light days, and
> sometimes even take 2 days off. My real weakness is
> swimming and will no doubt be my primary focus for the
> next 118 days or so until the event.
>
> I'm not looking win (but, not last)....I'm just looking to
> finish alive and want to be able to say I did it. I've got
> until mid July to be my best.

It depends on how much you already know, how serious you are, and how much
money you have :)

I'm also a first time triathlete (have a sprint, Olympic
and 1/2 IM scheduled this year). I signed up with a coach
and it's been a tremendous help. He emails me workouts
every two weeks and we talk on the phone as necessary. One
of the best parts is not having to put the mental energy
into figuring out what I should be doing. I tried that on
my own when I was racing bikes without too much success. I
think after being with a coach for a while, I'll have a
much better feel for things and will be able to create my
own schedule, but for now all I have to focus on is
executing the workouts and getting enough rest.

I think the less expensive sites probably have "fixed"
workout schedules which may not work for you if/when you
get sick/injured. Working with a coach is a huge help
when it comes to having to make adjustments in the
"normal" schedule.

Good luck.

MBro

"ptcruuzinfl" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> After a couple years of "taking about it"..., I have
> decided to attempt
my
> first Sprint off-road triathlon this summer. I have
> raced some MTB in
the
> past (7-10 races from 2001-2002) and have always wanted
> to try this, so
I am
> biting the bullet and going for it. In any case I have a
> few basic
questions
> relating to training. The only way I am able to stay in
> shape at 37 is
if I
> train for *something*. Can't do it otherwise.
>
> * Has anyone used these online/virtual training sites?
> Are they worth
the $?
> My training so far has consisted of a mix of off-road
> bike(strength & passion), weight lifting, &
> running(trail, street, treadmill). I'm doing
at
> least one, if not two of these activites 6 days a week.
> I will mix heavy days and light days, and sometimes even
> take 2 days off. My real
weakness is
> swimming and will no doubt be my primary focus for the
> next 118 days or
so