1st time VO2 MAX test results

BottleCage

Dec 22, 2004
Since I really did not know what to expect I was a little nervous. I am a numbers geek and so I figured I would shell out the $25 for the test.:D (I live in the Czech Republic that is why it is so cheap.) I was very impresssed with the session. As is normal I guess with these tests they hooked up to the EKG after that they measured my height, weight, BMI % Body Fat, Blood pressure before, during and after the tests. The doctor sat down with me and went through family medical history, my medical history and how much I exercise, sleep and my profession. Then on to the tests: First we did a few breathing tests. (Lung capacity, Rate of Inhalation/Exhalation.) After that it was on the bike. As expected I warmed up for 6-8 minutes as they hooked my up to the machines. Then the test began they ramped up the power every minute until exhaustion. After the test I cleaned up the doctor sat down with me to explain the data. I was expecting really average number but I was surprised that I tested so high.

Weight: 86 KG (need to lose about 5KG more)
Lung Cap. 6.88 litres
MAX HR 183 BPM (but I have seen higher on my HRM)

VO2Max 60.2
Watts at VO2 Max 350

Anaeroic Threshold 176 BPM
Anaerobic Threshold Watts 300

I have alot more data but I will need to translate it into english.

But overall I was very impressed with the whole procedure. I plan on being tested again in in 5-6months (October/November) and I would like to improve VO2 MAX and Anaerobic Threshold.(Especially the power figures.)

I have only started training 1 maybe 2 times a week for the past 2 months mainly spinning classes. But now the weather is getting nicer I am going to ride to work 2-3 times a week weather/family obligations permitting. (30KM each way.) And either MTB Race (Races are anywhere from 50KM to 125KM) or a long ride(+3hrs) on the weekend.

What might be some suggestions on how I use the time I have to improve these results.

Thank you very much for any advise.

At your age VO2Max of 60 is not too bad at all

Lance Armstrong
WEIGHT: 70 kg
Resting heart rate: 32-34
VO2ml/kg: 83.8
Max power at VO2: 600 watts
Max heart rate: 201
Lactate Threshold HR: 178

Brad McGee
Weight: 72 kg / 159 lbs
VO2MAX:89/mmol/min/kg
THRESHOLD:390-410 Watts at 195-205bpm

I don't believe LA's Wmax of 600 w.
I believe Indurain had the highest reliably tested Wmax of 573 w at a bodyweight of 79 kg (see the study by Padilla, Mujika, Orbananos, and Angulo 1999), incremental test to exhaustion, starts 110 w, 35 w increments every 4 minutes (i.e each block lasts 4 minutes) 1 minute rest inbetween, cadence at 75 rpm. It boggles me that Indurain was able to hold 573 w at a cadence of 75 rpm, he should have been even better at 100-110 rpm during the final blocks. His Wobla was 520 watts and his lactate threshold calculated at 454 w. I believe most of today's elite pursuit 4 km racers can't put out 573 w for 4 min, a power which Indurain was able to sustain after doing multiple 4 minute blocks at over 400 w. Compared to his contemporaries (the study included 23 other world class cyclists) Indurain was far ahead, indeed head and shoulders above his opponents.

Regarding V02 max, Indurains was 84 ml-kg-min-1 at the time of the study while McGees is 89 ml-kg-min-1, but McGee is nowhere near the class of Indurain. V02 max appears to not be a particularly valid indicator of cycling proficiency although a certain minimal amount is required for top level performance (72 ml-kg-min-1 ?) and I think there is at least one study that shows that the best professional cyclists have better economy and lower V02 maxes than other elite cyclists who have very high V02 maxes.

I would be interested to see some physiological values for Chris Boardman but have been unable to find any other then that his power output for his hour performance was 442 watts.

-Bikeguy

bikeguy said:
I don't believe LA's Wmax of 600 w.
I believe Indurain had the highest reliably tested Wmax of 573 w at a bodyweight of 79 kg (see the study by Padilla, Mujika, Orbananos, and Angulo 1999), incremental test to exhaustion, starts 110 w, 35 w increments every 4 minutes (i.e each block lasts 4 minutes) 1 minute rest inbetween, cadence at 75 rpm. It boggles me that Indurain was able to hold 573 w at a cadence of 75 rpm, he should have been even better at 100-110 rpm during the final blocks. His Wobla was 520 watts and his lactate threshold calculated at 454 w. I believe most of today's elite pursuit 4 km racers can't put out 573 w for 4 min, a power which Indurain was able to sustain after doing multiple 4 minute blocks at over 400 w. Compared to his contemporaries (the study included 23 other world class cyclists) Indurain was far ahead, indeed head and shoulders above his opponents.

Regarding V02 max, Indurains was 84 ml-kg-min-1 at the time of the study while McGees is 89 ml-kg-min-1, but McGee is nowhere near the class of Indurain. V02 max appears to not be a particularly valid indicator of cycling proficiency although a certain minimal amount is required for top level performance (72 ml-kg-min-1 ?) and I think there is at least one study that shows that the best professional cyclists have better economy and lower V02 maxes than other elite cyclists who have very high V02 maxes.

I would be interested to see some physiological values for Chris Boardman but have been unable to find any other then that his power output for his hour performance was 442 watts.

-Bikeguy

i could quite believe that LAs MAP is ~600 W. Indeed, Boardman at ~68 kg had a higher MAP than 573 W... but remember MAP is protocol sensitive...

ric

Ric, do you have actual lab data on Boardman's physiological profile or could you explain the protocol used to determine that over 573 w MAP of Boardman's ? Boardman's hour performance record isn't consistent with a 573 w Wmax, and I don't think Lance's TT performances are either.

I'm quite curious about Boardman's physiological profile, haven't been able to find any data other then his power output for the hour performance. Would appreciate any info you have on him.

Thanks, -Bikeguy

bikeguy said:
Ric, do you have actual lab data on Boardman's physiological profile or could you explain the protocol used to determine that over 573 w MAP of Boardman's ? Boardman's hour performance record isn't consistent with a 573 w Wmax, and I don't think Lance's TT performances are either.

see http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=powerstern and http://www.cyclecoach.com/downloadPages/?download=Calculate_your_MAP_zones&ext=.htm

Boardman, used a 20 W/min incremental rate as an elite male cyclist, whereas non-elite males would use a 25 W/min incremental rate. These incremental tests are entirely consistent with the Hour Record data, and other events, see "Estimated power outputs for distances, based on MAP" in the second link.

and yes, i do have lots of data on him.

I'm quite curious about Boardman's physiological profile, haven't been able to find any data other then his power output for the hour performance. Would appreciate any info you have on him.

Thanks, -Bikeguy

i wouldn't think the information is in the public domain. i was there at the time of some testing.

ric

Aahh, I see Boardman used a 40W/2 minutes ramp rate, where the power comes up pretty quick. Boardman would finish (starting at 150 w) in 23 minutes at (I'm guessing) around 590 watts. Indurain's test (starting 150 w, 4 minute+1 minute rest blocks) would finish after 65(!!) minutes including a complete 4 minute block of 535 w, and a complete 4 minute block of 570 w and just entering into a 605 watt block. At 75 rpm. No wonder Indurain was able to sustain 94% of his Wmax at Wobla and a no less astounding 83% of Wmax at Wlac.

-Bikeguy

bikeguy said:
Aahh, I see Boardman used a 40W/2 minutes ramp rate, where the power comes up pretty quick. Boardman would finish (starting at 150 w) in 23 minutes at (I'm guessing) around 590 watts. Indurain's test (starting 150 w, 4 minute+1 minute rest blocks) would finish after 65(!!) minutes including a complete 4 minute block of 535 w, and a complete 4 minute block of 570 w and just entering into a 605 watt block. At 75 rpm. No wonder Indurain was able to sustain 94% of his Wmax at Wobla and a no less astounding 83% of Wmax at Wlac.

-Bikeguy

they would both have sustained a very similar % of TTpower to MAP. Boardman didn't use a 40 W/2min increment but a 20 W/min increment (which would have actually been somewhat smaller, maybe 5 W/15-secs). I realise that 40 W/2-min and 20 W/min the same mathematically, but in terms of an incremental test the results would be different.

cheers
Ric

bikeguy said:

-Bikeguy

VO2max = 90 mL/min/kg
Estimated VO2 during hour record = 90%
Gross efficiency = only average (but consider the cadence)

(Taken from memory of what Keen wrote in, IIRC, Asker Jeukendrup's book.)

acoggan said:
VO2max = 90 mL/min/kg
Estimated VO2 during hour record = 90%
Gross efficiency = only average (but consider the cadence)

(Taken from memory of what Keen wrote in, IIRC, Asker Jeukendrup's book.)

Aye, i'd forgotten that data was in the public domain! Bikeguy, the stuff i was referring to was actual power data,

ric

Ric, yes I realise the exact timing of the ramp will influence the results, I was more interested in how long before the test was completed. ;-)

Bottlecage, I see that your lung capacity was measured at 6.88 liters, jeez, I'm a puny 5.3 L at 76 kg bodyweight.

Age 15
Weight 125
VO2 Max 56

My test was taken during the off season and my VO2 is probaly higher now.

What does it cost to get a VO2 max test in the states? I'm quite interested in getting tested to establish a baseline for comparison. I'm now 50 (I'm sure the AARP forms are in the mail) but looking to cycle for many more years.

Any thoughts on how to get a test done would be appreciated.