1st track bike?

Swoop

Feb 13, 2004
i am sure this question is answered all the time...but I still need the help. As a person who is going to be competing all around which bike? I will be using the bike mainly for track racing...and secondarily for a 10 mile commute. Also price is an issue. I have been looking at things like the pista and langster...but am not opposed to ebay at all...what sort of things should I be looking for?

Swoop said:
i am sure this question is answered all the time...but I still need the help. As a person who is going to be competing all around which bike? I will be using the bike mainly for track racing...and secondarily for a 10 mile commute. Also price is an issue. I have been looking at things like the pista and langster...but am not opposed to ebay at all...what sort of things should I be looking for?

Well, first look at price and determine what's available to you. I don't know how much you're willing to spend so I can't really point you towards any models other than the ones you have mentioned. Of the two, I would probably go for the langster.

Also look at the drop-out. The langster is aluminum if i'm not mistake. Check to make sure that the dropouts have little steel inserts bolted into them. If they are straight aluminum, they will get chewed up mighty quickly and you will be stuck with notchy dropouts. These are to wheel set up as a nothced headset is to steering. Then look at geometry. Is this just a bike that has horizontal dropouts but road angles? You'll want something a little steeper in head angles for more responsive steering on the track. Then check to see how the other dimensions on the bike match your road ride. If they are pretty close, then you will find a decent fit on it.

Swoop said:

Just get the dopest track bike you can afford.
A custom fit would be nice! A 10mile commute is nothing.
I ride a trackbike 80km a day as a messenger and some weekends do 150km rides. Just make sure you have a comfy setup especially a nice saddle!
for fresh T's check this out www.kingzoftheroad.com :cool:

Swoop said:
I have bought and sold track bikes on ebay for years. The window is closing on good values before the season starts (supply and demand don't you know...) Youcan still get good deals if you are lucky, and keep your eyes open.

Go to: Home > All Categories > Sporting Goods > Cycling > Road Bikes & Parts and type in track in the search box. Lots of bikes and frames to choose from. I have found the best time to buy is September to March or April. Good luck, and be sure to get in there before demand starts spiking right before the saeson starts!

Swoop said:
I commuted and ran errands on a ten year old road bike that I converted to fixed. I raced for a year on the velodrome on it - getting the chain tension right with different gears was a bear sometimes.

OTOH I have bought two track frames on EBay. I've been very happy with my purchases but you have to know what measurements you need in a bike and you have to wait for a bike your size to show up, and beat all the other bidders.

If you are using your bike on the road and for racing that restricts you (if you want to be somewhat sane) to frame/forks that have brakes at least in the front. This includes the Langster, Pista, Fuji, Surly fixed gear wonders.

Swoop said:
have a look at something like csk, personally I wouldnt touch a bianchi as its built like a stick and as far as fuji goes the u.s.a team is sponsored by them and they dont ride them... Cannondale make one but I think the geometry is a bit slack from memory; essentially their road frame with horizontals, but at least you know it'll be stiff. If you think you're going to crash a bit go steel, if you want value for money until you crash go alloy and if youve got more money than you know how to spend it go a b.t or corima. Personally I'd go alloy as on the track you want as much stiffness as possible.

Just picked up a Langster. :) Anyone know where I could get some sort of steel insert for the rear dropout? Thx.

Meek One said:
Just picked up a Langster. :) Anyone know where I could get some sort of steel insert for the rear dropout? Thx.

Don't think you can. These are bits that are installed by the manufacturer. I guess you could get a machinist to make up a set, but you'd need photos so that they know what you want.

rayner said:
have a look at something like csk, personally I wouldnt touch a bianchi as its built like a stick and as far as fuji goes the u.s.a team is sponsored by them and they dont ride them... Cannondale make one but I think the geometry is a bit slack from memory; essentially their road frame with horizontals, but at least you know it'll be stiff. If you think you're going to crash a bit go steel, if you want value for money until you crash go alloy and if youve got more money than you know how to spend it go a b.t or corima. Personally I'd go alloy as on the track you want as much stiffness as possible.

What do you mean when you say the bianchi is built like a stick? Are you referring to the Pista, the Pista Concept, or both?

Roadie_scum said:
What do you mean when you say the bianchi is built like a stick? Are you referring to the Pista, the Pista Concept, or both?
Plenty of people ride the Fuji, the Fuji Pro, the Pista, and the Pista Concept at Hellyer and are satisified with them. Just show up and interview them yourself.