1st triathlon~ Quintana Roo Trueno, or Trek 2300...Thoughts?

MaryKate

Jun 25, 2012
I'm looking at 2 bikes (used) I think I can afford: Quintana Roo Trueno, or Trek 2300. I am short...5"2. Although I have mostly done mtn biking the last 20 years, I am comfortable on a road bike. Both bikes are older, and I can get each for $350. What do you recommend?

Generally, I recommend road bikes for triathletes buying their first road bike, for the comfort and versatility. Generally, the road bike (the Trek) will take you over greater distances, over more varied road conditions, in greater comfort, than a tri bike.

On the other hand, you already do a lot of mountain biking, so you might not care about this.

What year for both of the bikes?

My guess is that the 2300 would have a higher grade of components than the QR Trueno.

From what I can find on google, the QR Trueno looks to be a drop bar road bike with clip on aerobars vs. a full fledged TT bike. If so, it would make a good starter Tri machine, but you can always clip on a set of areobars to the trek for not much coin. Aerobars are only helpful if you use them - if you plan on riding using the tops, hoods or drops of the handlebar don't bother with aerobars.

$350 doesn't sound like a bad deal for either if they bikes are in good condition, you may be able to haggle even lower. If they fit, choose the one you like the best.

The Trueno has a 76-degree seat tube. To me this pitches the upper body too far forward for use as a road bike.

Your mileage may differ.