1st Week of training

chappy

Guest
Monday: 3.5 mile run
Tuesday: 7.5 mile bike(on the streets) and 3.1 mile run (1 hour)
Wednesday: 1200 meter in the pool
Thursday: 7.5 mile mountain bike ride (55 minutes of biking) This was
my first ride on the trails after buying clipless pedals. Needless to
say, I had a few spills. The best of which was a very nice handlebar
edge to the chest. That one still hurts right now. (actually signed
up for 1st triathlon)
Friday: 1 mile in the pool
Saturday: 6 mile bike (on the streets) in the morning, 6 mile run in
the afternoon just before my appointment to donate blood. They were
slightly concerned about my pulse rate of 98. I told them it was OK
since twenty minutes ago it was 174.
Sunday: Riding the bike around pulling kids in 2 person stroller and
played follow the leader with my 6 year old at the park.

I've decided to set a goal of 1:35 in the sprint triathlon: 750 meter
swim (18 minutes), 12 mile bike (44) minutes, 3.1 mile run (26
minutes). That gives me 3.5 minutes in each of the transitions, plus I
think I may be able to shave a minute or two off the bike. I'm pretty
pumped and I'm glad I finally decided to enter the race.

chappy wrote:
> Monday: 3.5 mile run
> Tuesday: 7.5 mile bike(on the streets) and 3.1 mile run (1 hour)
> Wednesday: 1200 meter in the pool
> Thursday: 7.5 mile mountain bike ride (55 minutes of biking) This was
> my first ride on the trails after buying clipless pedals. Needless to
> say, I had a few spills. The best of which was a very nice handlebar
> edge to the chest. That one still hurts right now. (actually signed
> up for 1st triathlon)
> Friday: 1 mile in the pool
> Saturday: 6 mile bike (on the streets) in the morning, 6 mile run in
> the afternoon just before my appointment to donate blood. They were
> slightly concerned about my pulse rate of 98. I told them it was OK
> since twenty minutes ago it was 174.
> Sunday: Riding the bike around pulling kids in 2 person stroller and
> played follow the leader with my 6 year old at the park.
>
> I've decided to set a goal of 1:35 in the sprint triathlon: 750 meter
> swim (18 minutes), 12 mile bike (44) minutes, 3.1 mile run (26
> minutes). That gives me 3.5 minutes in each of the transitions, plus I
> think I may be able to shave a minute or two off the bike. I'm pretty
> pumped and I'm glad I finally decided to enter the race.

I'm not sure what base training you have behind this, but be careful not
to go out too hard too early in your training. have a look at some of th
e programs on trinewbies.com . You might want to throw in a rest day.
Sunday might be seen as a rest day but when I tow my daughter on the
trailer bike it's not usually much of a rest.

DaveB

DaveB wrote:
> chappy wrote:
> > Monday: 3.5 mile run
> > Tuesday: 7.5 mile bike(on the streets) and 3.1 mile run (1 hour)
> > Wednesday: 1200 meter in the pool
> > Thursday: 7.5 mile mountain bike ride (55 minutes of biking) This was
> > my first ride on the trails after buying clipless pedals. Needless to
> > say, I had a few spills. The best of which was a very nice handlebar
> > edge to the chest. That one still hurts right now. (actually signed
> > up for 1st triathlon)
> > Friday: 1 mile in the pool
> > Saturday: 6 mile bike (on the streets) in the morning, 6 mile run in
> > the afternoon just before my appointment to donate blood. They were
> > slightly concerned about my pulse rate of 98. I told them it was OK
> > since twenty minutes ago it was 174.
> > Sunday: Riding the bike around pulling kids in 2 person stroller and
> > played follow the leader with my 6 year old at the park.
> >
> > I've decided to set a goal of 1:35 in the sprint triathlon: 750 meter
> > swim (18 minutes), 12 mile bike (44) minutes, 3.1 mile run (26
> > minutes). That gives me 3.5 minutes in each of the transitions, plus I
> > think I may be able to shave a minute or two off the bike. I'm pretty
> > pumped and I'm glad I finally decided to enter the race.
> >

> I'm not sure what base training you have behind this, but be careful not
> to go out too hard too early in your training. have a look at some of th
> e programs on trinewbies.com . You might want to throw in a rest day.
> Sunday might be seen as a rest day but when I tow my daughter on the
> trailer bike it's not usually much of a rest.
>
> DaveB

Would be pretty careful about donating blood as well - all in a good
cause but your body does take a little bit of time to replace what was
taken out and if you've just upped your training a load then your
body's resources will be getting pretty stretched.

I will echo the thoughts about donating blood. It takes approx. 48
hours to fill in the lost pint of fluid, but the real loss is the
mature red blood cells which won't fully mature again until 1 month
later. Keep this in mind. I donated a pint myself on Thursday and then
did a huge 4 day training session because of the holiday weekedn and
noticed a difference. I have a ton of base training though this year
with 2 IMs and a 1/2 IM.

How far away is the race?

[email protected] wrote:
> I will echo the thoughts about donating blood. It takes approx. 48
> hours to fill in the lost pint of fluid, but the real loss is the
> mature red blood cells which won't fully mature again until 1 month
> later. Keep this in mind. I donated a pint myself on Thursday and then
> did a huge 4 day training session because of the holiday weekedn and
> noticed a difference. I have a ton of base training though this year
> with 2 IMs and a 1/2 IM.
>
> How far away is the race?

The race is Oct 1st. I'm taking a rest day today. I was a little
concerned about giving blood, but they have been on me for a while now.
I'm O neg and they've had a shortage so I wanted to hurry and get it
in so I would have a chance to recover. I'll probably take it pretty
light this week and do the pool and eliptical trainer mostly. I think
I may have found a road bike to borrow from a friend, so that should
help my bike time a little as well.