1upUSA

Prometheus

Aug 18, 2003
Anyone have any experience with the 1upUSA trainer? http://www.1upusa.com/

I've read all the reviews on roadbikereview.com but they were all so good I couldn't help but worry that the manufacturer has been posting them (LOL)

Prometheus

Originally posted by Prometheus

I've read all the reviews on roadbikereview.com but they were all so good I couldn't help but worry that the manufacturer has been posting them (LOL)

Prometheus

I have never seen one in person, but just looking at the picture it looks a little....whats the right word.....maybe, collapsable(sp?)

I would hate to come out of the saddle, really bearing down and the thing collapse on me...:eek:

Just my opinion from looking at the oicture, hopefully I am wrong

After about 350 "miles" the last 4 months, I can report that the 1upUSA works as advertised. I don't understand some of the criticisms that are posted about this trainer.

There has been absolutely zero detectable tire wear.
It is very quiet -- the bike makes more noise than the trainer.
I have the trainer set for the most resistance. Most of my time is spent on the 39-tooth front chainring and the mid-range of the rear cassette. You vary the resistance by shifting gears on the bike.
It allows you to lower the rear wheel to within a millimeter of the floor so you don't need a block under the front wheel. It's very stable.
You have to adjust it carefully to the bike you are using, then it is very quick and easy to mount/dismount the bike. It takes a bit more effort to switch bikes if the axle length is different. I found out that my ancient Schwinn Continental is much narrower than a new Shimano 10-speed, but the trainer will accommodate either.
I have never used any other trainer.
It makes a nice stand to tweak your derailleurs, too.
It isn't as good as riding outside.

Prometheus said:

Prometheus

Prometheus said:

Prometheus

I've owned one for about 2 years now and so far as I can tell, it's a pretty good trainer (haven't used any others extensively). My one gripe is that the resistance was never very consistent. I would be pedaling along in one gear and all of a sudden, it would get VERY difficult to pedal, to the point where you'd have to get out of the saddle to keep the cranks going; sometimes the opposite would happen as well, where you'd end up almost spinning out because it got so easy. I broke down the trainer to see if there was something funny with the bearings, or if something was getting stuck, but couldn't see anything weird. In all, my experience wasn't all bad with it, as it is compact enough to slide underneath a bed when not in use, and the parts are all nicely machined and anodized, but I've been happier with a magnetic resistance stationary bike that I bought in November.

Oh, and it does go through tires, or at least it did through my last set of spec armadillos.

I bought one in November, 2005 and as far as trainers go, it's damn good. I hate riding on trainers, so I don't use it all that often. I have mine set on max resistance, and it gives you a workout. It's very quiet, I often watch TV while riding, and I never have problems hearing the TV.

tetsuryuu said:
I've owned one for about 2 years now and so far as I can tell, it's a pretty good trainer (haven't used any others extensively). My one gripe is that the resistance was never very consistent. I would be pedaling along in one gear and all of a sudden, it would get VERY difficult to pedal, to the point where you'd have to get out of the saddle to keep the cranks going; sometimes the opposite would happen as well, where you'd end up almost spinning out because it got so easy. I broke down the trainer to see if there was something funny with the bearings, or if something was getting stuck, but couldn't see anything weird. In all, my experience wasn't all bad with it, as it is compact enough to slide underneath a bed when not in use, and the parts are all nicely machined and anodized, but I've been happier with a magnetic resistance stationary bike that I bought in November.

Oh, and it does go through tires, or at least it did through my last set of spec armadillos.
send it in for repair! it's free

HR

Prometheus said:

Prometheus
Been using the 1up for I guess 4 years+ now - I was an original customer. Needless to say it's been a very good trainer, and the company has been even better - so we own two now. So my wife and I can do Spinervals together -

They've made several updates over the years, all have been improvements. Yes I have had a few problems, but each time they have sent me a replacement unit – free of charge, and left me with a red label to return the “old unit” free of charge.

Tire wear is way better then my rollers, they are quiet, and not once ever have they dumped me while I was going eyeballs-out.

So what kinds of problems have I had? On the first generation unit they didn’t have a lip to restrain the friction pad, and once I finally got strong enough, I got he unit hot enough to cause the glue to melt and the pad slipped. Replaced free of charge. The Second generation unit worked without fail for approximately 600 hours. I sent them an email, and the trainer was replaced FOR FREE again. The third generation trainer is a tank. The friction pad is actual brake pad material.

The trainer is as stable as you could hope for and the company stands behind their product. If you have a problem they will make it right in a very painless way for you.

I think their guarantee still allows for you to buy/try a unit, and get a full refund if you don’t like it – what’s there to loose?

They have had a hell of a string of reviews, and I guess for the most part it’s for a reason.

HR

Hookyrider said:
send it in for repair! it's free

HR
I actually ended up loaning it to my dad once I got my stationary bike (he had dreams of getting in shape during the winter and riding Mt. Hamilton with me in the spring). I'll look into it for him at the very least; I'm not real wild about sweating all over my bike, given the ammount of corrosion I had on my last set of brake and shifter cables from all the salt!

I've had one for a while. I like it. It's very quiet, the electric fans I use to keep cool are much louder.

Been riding mine now for over 2 years. I love it. Smooth ride, quiet, and yes...it is collabsible for storage, but stable when set-up. I use mine set at the higher resistance curve and it makes indoor interval training challenging.