2.3 Tires

Matthew Paterso

Guest
Hey

Is anyone running 2.3 (Tioga preferabbly) tires in a Kona hardtail frame?

I have a year 2000 Scab, and my 2.1 fits nicely, but I dont know if a 2.3 would fit. Im wanting
something a bit more burlier.

Also, anyone have any good suggestions for a decent 2.1/2.3 tire for urban, dirt jumping etc etc.

Thanks

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet

"Matthew Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Hey
>
> Is anyone running 2.3 (Tioga preferabbly) tires in a Kona hardtail frame?

Jim runs a set of 2.3 Tioga DH's on his Kona hardtail. They fit just fine.

> I have a year 2000 Scab, and my 2.1 fits nicely, but I dont know if a 2.3 would fit. Im wanting
> something a bit more burlier.

Jim has a 2001 Stuff. Same thing.

> Also, anyone have any good suggestions for a decent 2.1/2.3 tire for urban, dirt jumping etc etc.

Tioga DH's, 2.3. We also use the same ones on the trials bike.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:17:35 +0000, Carla A-G wrote:

> Tioga DH's, 2.3. We also use the same ones on the trials bike.

Cheers Carla.

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet

"Matthew Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Hey
>
> Is anyone running 2.3 (Tioga preferabbly) tires in a Kona hardtail frame?
>
> I have a year 2000 Scab, and my 2.1 fits nicely, but I dont know if a 2.3 would fit. Im wanting
> something a bit more burlier.
>
> Also, anyone have any good suggestions for a decent 2.1/2.3 tire for urban, dirt jumping etc etc.

I believe Maxxis has a 26" version of the ring worm out. it is apparently great for urban but it is
a slick tire so probably not good for dirt jumping. a bit expensive too..it is on of the highr
priced tires on the market. my tioga dh 2.1's work fine

Cam

Matthew Paterson <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Hey
>
> Is anyone running 2.3 (Tioga preferabbly) tires in a Kona hardtail frame?
>
> I have a year 2000 Scab, and my 2.1 fits nicely, but I dont know if a 2.3 would fit. Im wanting
> something a bit more burlier.
>
> Also, anyone have any good suggestions for a decent 2.1/2.3 tire for urban, dirt jumping etc etc.
>
> Thanks

Nokian Gazzaloddi 2.3.

Shaun aRe

> Matthew Paterson <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > Hey
> >
> > Is anyone running 2.3 (Tioga preferabbly) tires in a Kona hardtail frame?
> >
> > I have a year 2000 Scab, and my 2.1 fits nicely, but I dont know if a 2.3 would fit. Im wanting
> > something a bit more burlier.
> >
> > Also, anyone have any good suggestions for a decent 2.1/2.3 tire for urban, dirt jumping
> > etc etc.

The guys at my LBS like the Maxxis Hookworm. No knobs, so it has very fast rolling. He said it's
great for doing series jumps. Only thing: it's a 2.4. Call up a Kona dealer, they might know what
your bike will take.

> > Thanks
>
> Nokian Gazzaloddi 2.3.

You and your Gazza's. (Though I still haven't ruled them out for my new bike...)

--
Cameron

> Cameron <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > > Nokian Gazzaloddi 2.3.
> > >

> > You and your Gazza's. (Though I still haven't ruled them out for my new
> bike...)
>
> Hey - props where props iz due, dude.....heheheheh........ ',;~}~

Okeedokee. How about yer honest opinion? I'm still stuck between the 2.6 Gazza's and the 2.5 Intense
909's for my DH. (Joining the Bomberhood, too. New JrT for $300!)

How does the Gazza's perform on wet roots, sand, loose rocks, cornering, etc? I hear they
wear fast...

--
Cameron

Cameron <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> > Cameron <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > You and your Gazza's. (Though I still haven't ruled them out for my
new
> > bike...)
> >
> > Hey - props where props iz due, dude.....heheheheh........ ',;~}~
> >

> Okeedokee. How about yer honest opinion?

You already got it.

> I'm still stuck between the 2.6 Gazza's and the 2.5 Intense 909's for my DH.

Rock and a hard place? ',;~}~

> (Joining the Bomberhood, too. New JrT for $300!)

Bargain!

> How does the Gazza's perform on wet roots, sand, loose rocks, cornering,
etc?

IME excellently - wet roots (and rocks - a lot of our steeper climbs are very rocky, and I have
little to no traction problems in the wet) - good grip. Sand - sorta just 'paddle' through in a nice
floaty manner. Same with gloopy mud. Loose rocks - good, tackles that sorta thing excellently,
especially because you can run 'em at nice low pressures. Cornering is great becasue of the profile
and well designed outer knob shape - they cut a good corner.

> I hear they wear fast...

They do wear faster than most of the other large treaded tyres I've used, but that's where they get
their wet root/rock traction from. A hard compound just won't cut it on stuff like that.

Shaun "honest" aRe

> Cameron <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> >
> > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Cameron <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > news:[email protected]...

> new
> > > bike...)
> > >
> > > Hey - props where props iz due, dude.....heheheheh........ ',;~}~
> > >

> > Okeedokee. How about yer honest opinion?
>
> You already got it.

I already know that you're biased.

> > I'm still stuck between the 2.6 Gazza's and the 2.5 Intense 909's for my DH.
>
> Rock and a hard place? ',;~}~

More like a firm and a sticky place. ;-)

> > (Joining the Bomberhood, too. New JrT for $300!)
>
> Bargain!

Live next to a good LBS. I was looking at buying a bike, but someone else paid in full before I
could put a down on it. But at the same time, someone bought a bike with the JrT on it, but wanted
to upgrade to a SuperT. So Jay (manager; possible future owner) sold the Jr to me at cost
difference. So now I have a 2003 Stanky with a Jr in front on layaway. And as far as how cool these
guy's are; my work dropped off in a bad way. I wasn't able to make payments for a couple of months,
and Jay said something like, "I'm not worried, just make payments when you can, or show up and let
me know you're still alive." My bike is currently hanging from the ceiling of his shop. Of course, I
can't ride it anymore till I pay it off. :-(

> > How does the Gazza's perform on wet roots, sand, loose rocks, cornering,
> etc?
>
> IME excellently - wet roots (and rocks - a lot of our steeper climbs are very rocky, and I have
> little to no traction problems in the wet) - good grip. Sand - sorta just 'paddle' through in a
> nice floaty manner. Same with gloopy mud. Loose rocks - good, tackles that sorta thing
> excellently, especially because you can run 'em at nice low pressures. Cornering is great becasue
> of the profile and well designed outer knob shape - they cut a good corner.

That's what I want to hear. But since you're biased, is it true?

> > I hear they wear fast...
>
> They do wear faster than most of the other large treaded tyres I've used, but that's where they
> get their wet root/rock traction from. A hard compound just won't cut it on stuff like that.

But on another hand, I've seen the 2.6 Gazza's for $45 and the 909's for $55-60. Since this won't be
my primary ride, a little extra wear probably won't hurt.

> Shaun "honest" aRe

Have fun on "Lay Day". ;-)

--
If I crashed into a tree and nobody was around to hear me scream, did I really make a sound?

Cameron

> > new

> > > Okeedokee. How about yer honest opinion?
> >
> > You already got it.
>
> I already know that you're biased.

Am not - ain't my fault that these tyres TRULY ROCK! (Ahem......heheh........).

> > > I'm still stuck between the 2.6 Gazza's and the 2.5 Intense 909's for my DH.
> >
> > Rock and a hard place? ',;~}~
>
> More like a firm and a sticky place. ;-)

BTDT! Took me ages to get all the jam off.....

> > > (Joining the Bomberhood, too. New JrT for $300!)
> >
> > Bargain!
>
> Live next to a good LBS. I was looking at buying a bike, but someone else paid in full before I
> could put a down on it. But at the same time,
someone
> bought a bike with the JrT on it, but wanted to upgrade to a SuperT. So Jay (manager; possible
> future owner) sold the Jr to me at cost difference.
So
> now I have a 2003 Stanky with a Jr in front on layaway. And as far as how cool these guy's are; my
> work dropped off in a bad way. I wasn't able to
make
> payments for a couple of months, and Jay said something like, "I'm not
worried,
> just make payments when you can, or show up and let me know you're still alive." My bike is
> currently hanging from the ceiling of his shop. Of
course, I
> can't ride it anymore till I pay it off. :-(

That sucks! My LBS lets me just take stuff if I want, and pay 'later - whenever, it's cool'. Mind
you, I spent enough there over the years, and if I want something I can't afford, I usually just
keep popping in and leaving money with them. There's nearly always some credit in my account there.

> > > How does the Gazza's perform on wet roots, sand, loose rocks,
cornering,
> > etc?
> >
> > IME excellently - wet roots (and rocks - a lot of our steeper climbs are very rocky, and I have
> > little to no traction problems in the wet) - good grip. Sand - sorta just 'paddle' through in a
> > nice floaty manner. Same
with
> > gloopy mud. Loose rocks - good, tackles that sorta thing excellently, especially because you can
> > run 'em at nice low pressures. Cornering is
great
> > becasue of the profile and well designed outer knob shape - they cut a
good
> > corner.
> >

> That's what I want to hear. But since you're biased, is it true?

Yes - but if I try any harder to convinece you, you will think it's just my bias rather than the
reality, so, I'll not.

> > > I hear they wear fast...
> >
> > They do wear faster than most of the other large treaded tyres I've
used,
> > but that's where they get their wet root/rock traction from. A hard
compound
> > just won't cut it on stuff like that.
> >

> But on another hand, I've seen the 2.6 Gazza's for $45 and the 909's for
$55-60.
> Since this won't be my primary ride, a little extra wear probably won't
hurt.

Indeed. I'm ****** at the moment because I fitted 2 brand new 2.6's a short while back, and started
to build up a (relatively) skinny tyred beater for my commutes. With getting married soon, I've been
too damned busy to finish it off, and looking at the _road_ wear on those beautiful Gazz's is sheer
hellish torture.

Mind you, I managed to get some work (and a lot of swearing - got the old BB out no trouble,
couldn't get the new(er) on in without resorting to pump pliers on the flange of the flanged (duh!)
side. Git it in, and I've put the wrong one in - chain line is way wide - can't get the ******* out
now, heheheheh....) done on the betaer yesterday and it's almost there.

> > Shaun "honest" aRe
>
> Have fun on "Lay Day". ;-)

On a what when?

> If I crashed into a tree and nobody was around to hear me scream, did I really make a sound?

What do I care if I'm not there ?!? ',;~}~

Shaun aRe