2.4 PT Dropouts

PaulMD said:
7 weeks ago I ordered a Zipp 404 with an SL 2.4 hub. But I still haven't one and my LBS told me he doesn't know how long it will take because the Zipp importeur hasn't any hubs.

I saw a beautiful Bontrager Aeolus 5.0 built up with a black PT SL 2.4 in San Fran (Lombardi Sports) and was tempted. But, I worry the hub may be one of the old stock. Similarly, when I checked with competitivecyclist.com, they said they have them in stock to build with Zipps. They told me the hubs should be problem free ? So, there are a few options.

Jesse,
Thank you for your post. I purchased an new Aeolus 5.0 carbon clincher w/ 2.4 sl hub in Feb - which was a major purchase for me since the wheel retails for $2500. It had significant dropouts - ie. every 30 sec. Called Saris and they asked me to send the wheel and cpu back (paid $35 to send it back). They told me that the changed out the transmitter to one with a higher frequency (i.e. from "30-40" to a range of "50-60") and switched the cpu (ver 5.33) to one with a stronger signal. Unfortunately, it still had dropouts every 1-3 min. Since then, Saris has sent me 3 - 4 replacement CPUs (ver 5.52 and 5.53) - I keep having to wait 2 weeks to get one, return it, then wait another 2 weeks for another one - and each had dropouts every 30 sec or so. Then I was told that the recommended ver to use was 5.33, so I downloaded the 5.33 software and installed it into the 5.53 CPU. Dropouts were less frequent, but still every 1-3 min. It has now been over 90 days since I purchased my wheel and I still don't have a working powertap (and even worse - no reliable data from my daily rides for 90 days!). To make things worse, the online coach I paid a lot of money for has no power data to track my progress for the last 3 months.

I don't mean to sound upset - Saris has been really great over the phone and with supplying replacement CPUs in an attempt to fix the problem. But it's been 90 days now - and I've about given up. Since this is a Bontrager wheel w/ a powertap hub, what's the mechanism for requesting a refund? I emailed Bontrager and they said it's strictly a Saris issue - however, it seems despite 90 days, Saris is unable to fix the problem.

Question: Do you know if there is a definitive fix in the works for this device? If so, I'd like to know it and have my wheel working once and for all. If not, I'd really like a refund at this point. Thanks.

powertap said:
It certainly is easy to say that we've had a "bumpy" product launch if you're only looking at the anecdotal data posted on various forums. But, considering the number of units currently in the field and the technology in play things could be worse. That being said, whether there is an issue on 1 or 1,000 hubs we want to understand it and solve it. Period.

We can't understate the difficulties involved with that "understanding" statement. RF is a tricky technology. From the beginning we have been testing each and every hub that leaves our facility but what we've learned is that depending on the test we can miss things. In our case it was the overall RF power vs. the characteristics of that RF. Unfortunately, a recall is not possible in this case because the variability is not associated with a bad lot of parts or a new operator in production, it's much more subtle than that. We can say that a very small number of units are suspect and that an even smaller number will be suspect moving forward.

As always, we stand behind our products and if anybody is experiencing issues please contact our customer service department at 1-800-783-7257. Regarding Adict07's particular experience, replacing batteries is a standard trouble shooting tactic worth the effort. Return shipping is commonly a burden shouldered by the consumer and spelled out clearly in the warranty. If you feel this to be unfair I would recommend taking it back to your dealer for them to handle the return.

Just because we provide "the value priced power meter" doesn't mean we offer value priced service. $1500 is still a lot of money and we respect that. We also appreciate the constructive criticism and will work to improve our processes in the future.

Jesse Bartholomew
CycleOps Product Manager

Somebody with more news about the availability of the SL 2.4?

My vacation in the French alps is coming soon and I want to have fun with a powermeter. So I think I will cancel my order for the zipp 404 / SL2.4 combination and go for a wired SL version (and a cheap mavic rim).

Is there something wrong with buying a wired SL powertap hub with eBay from America to Europe?

UNless you have a downpayment on the Zipps, you could find from another source. As I said, Competitivecyclist.com had them in stock a few weeks ago. You can give them a call. Saw the Bontrager Aeolus 5.0 with SL 2.4 in Lombardi Sports $2399 in San Francisco.

lawrence

Thom_y said:
UNless you have a downpayment on the Zipps, you could find from another source. As I said, Competitivecyclist.com had them in stock a few weeks ago. You can give them a call. Saw the Bontrager Aeolus 5.0 with SL 2.4 in Lombardi Sports $2399 in San Francisco.

lawrence
I am only a little bit afraid to do a bigger than 2.000 dollar purchase oversees. To buy a powertap for 1.000 dollar from the US is a little step in that direction :rolleyes:

PaulMD said:
Is there something wrong with buying a wired SL powertap hub with eBay from America to Europe?

I'm not sure (other than Europe) where you're located. However, when you purchase from the States you'll have to pay import and VAT duties, plus the carriers charge for handling your import duties. Additionally, should anything go wrong with your PT you'll have to ship it back to the States.

Buying from a European dealer (which includes us) won't prevent you from getting a faulty hub (although i test the wheels i send out as best as i can), but would prevent you from being lumbered with Atlantic shipping charges and obviously, the import duties etc, will be covered by the price you pay.

Ric

ric_stern/RST said:
I'm not sure (other than Europe) where you're located. However, when you purchase from the States you'll have to pay import and VAT duties, plus the carriers charge for handling your import duties. Additionally, should anything go wrong with your PT you'll have to ship it back to the States.

Buying from a European dealer (which includes us) won't prevent you from getting a faulty hub (although i test the wheels i send out as best as i can), but would prevent you from being lumbered with Atlantic shipping charges and obviously, the import duties etc, will be covered by the price you pay.

Ric
I am from The Netherlands.

Do you have a SL 2.4 without drops outs in stock for sale?

wlby said:
Question: Do you know if there is a definitive fix in the works for this device? If so, I'd like to know it and have my wheel working once and for all. If not, I'd really like a refund at this point. Thanks.

Wlby,

As I was looking at buying a new Bontrager Aeolus 5.0 with PT SL 2.4 myself, I am curious whether you have had any success in fixing your hub. I would have thought that Saris has now figured out the problem with the antenna, that you may have finally had a satisfactory resolution. Please let me know, as I don't know what to do myself. BTW, how do you like the wheels themselves ???

PaulMD said:
7 weeks ago I ordered a Zipp 404 with an SL 2.4 hub. But I still haven't one and my LBS told me he doesn't know how long it will take because the Zipp importeur hasn't any hubs.

Just curious, did you ever get your Zipps and SL 2.4. If so, how is it working out ?

I just got a revised ETA from the LBS on a 2.4 laced up on a set of 303's. They told me I'm looking at roughly 6 months! They are claiming that the issue is resolved, but the back orders are so deep that it may take that long just to catch up. Anybody else having the same situation?

Thom_y said:
Just curious, did you ever get your Zipps and SL 2.4. If so, how is it working out ?
Last message was two weeks ago and expected delivery was at the end of week 24 or at the beginning of week 25. Tomorrow week 25 will begin... I hope to get them on monday, tuesday or wednesday... On thursday I am going on vacation to the french alps for three weeks...

I have my fingers crossed!!

I haven't heard anything from the distributeur or my LBS. I think I won't have the 404 sl 2.4 combination for my 3 week cycling vacation. :mad::mad: