Tom Swift said:My brother gave me his old road bike. It is old, ~30yrs, but at the time, it was quite high end.
(Shimano600 groupo). My road bike is much newer (index shifting) but with with very low end
components. I would like to use my bro's bike (it fits better), but I am afraid I have been spoiled
for too many years of SIS and really do not wish to return to the world of FRICTION.
I apologize for an excess of beer at this time of the evening, but it is true, I am
partially drunk...
That said, I say this:
Sheldon Brown denigrates friction shifting, and quite frankly it pisses me off, I say he is not of a
sane mind <g>. Point is, with friction shifting you can swap this that and everything else from this
and that bike without worrying *that* much wheather it will work. Friction shifting has it's place,
and I say it is NOT dead, but a long shot.
The point is this: it's wheather you *can* shift, not 'how' you shift.
And already today, spending, most of the day looking at 'homemade bents' it's blatantly obvious
that, in many cases a lot ofm,peolle still think that friction shifting still has it's place. For
one, you have less to adjust. If you ride your bike often enough, you'll get to know it intimately,
friction shifting too....
You mention your brother's bike fitting much better.....if it fits, you're half way there....the
shifting you can sort out later. IMO.
Balls to Stirling and then Euro, but I'd defend friction shifting to the hilt.
Bob_friction_Flemming
Quoted message said:I was thinking about combining the two bikes into something suitable, but am not sure about a few
things. Mostly, would it work to put the shifters from my bike (SIS) onto my bro's bike (FRICTION),
or do I need to transplant more , such as deraileurs, and cogs? I really don't know that much about
the workings of SIS.
Another possibility is to transplant the whole groupo to my bro's bike, but with the difference in
component quality......
Any ideas would be VERY much apreciated.
Craig [email hidden]