2 bolt shoe adapters

sideshow_bob

Apr 26, 2005
I've converted everything over to Quattro/Egg Beater on my bikes, which generally take a 2 bolt cleat (I know there is a 3 bolt Crank Brothers adapter). As we approach the race season here looking at shoes, pretty much you are limited to either lower end shoes, which include SPD 2 bolt compatibility or higher end 3 hole (Look/SPD-R) shoes with an adapter plate.

Does anyone have any direct experience with any of the adapater plates for example, Time, SIDI or Shimano plates (and the Crank Brothers ones). Do they anchor the cleats well? Do they overly increase the stack height for the cleats? Opinions/Recommendations.

I used the Crank Brothers plastic mounting surround for the 2 hole cleat for a few weeks before taking it off and just using the plastic shim. It was great for walking but the squeaking between it and the carbon sole on my current shoe drove me nuts. So naturally if you've used an adapter did you have issues with noise?

--brett

sideshow_bob said:
I've converted everything over to Quattro/Egg Beater on my bikes, which generally take a 2 bolt cleat (I know there is a 3 bolt Crank Brothers adapter). As we approach the race season here looking at shoes, pretty much you are limited to either lower end shoes, which include SPD 2 bolt compatibility or higher end 3 hole (Look/SPD-R) shoes with an adapter plate.

Does anyone have any direct experience with any of the adapater plates for example, Time, SIDI or Shimano plates (and the Crank Brothers ones). Do they anchor the cleats well? Do they overly increase the stack height for the cleats? Opinions/Recommendations.

I used the Crank Brothers plastic mounting surround for the 2 hole cleat for a few weeks before taking it off and just using the plastic shim. It was great for walking but the squeaking between it and the carbon sole on my current shoe drove me nuts. So naturally if you've used an adapter did you have issues with noise?

--brett
The old SIDI adapters only fit the older SIDI shoes, AFAIK ...

The newer SIDI (i.e., as of a couple of years ago which superseded their shoes which required an adapter for non-LOOK cleats ... so, I suppose that perhaps not all current-or-more-recent SIDI shoes are the same) ROAD shoes had LOOK & SPD mounting bosses in the soles ...

You can DRILL non-carbon soles (e.g., nylon) to accept WOOD SCREWS to mount your cleats. YES, I've done this.

I've read that carbon fiber can't be tapped ... I haven't tried (yet!) to verify or refute that assertion.

alfeng said:
The old SIDI adapters only fit the older SIDI shoes, AFAIK ...

The newer SIDI (i.e., as of a couple of years ago which superseded their shoes which required an adapter for non-LOOK cleats ... so, I suppose that perhaps not all current-or-more-recent SIDI shoes are the same) ROAD shoes had LOOK & SPD mounting bosses in the soles ...

You can DRILL non-carbon soles (e.g., nylon) to accept WOOD SCREWS to mount your cleats. YES, I've done this.

I've read that carbon fiber can't be tapped ... I haven't tried (yet!) to verify or refute that assertion.

The SIDI shoes have the drilling and cavity for the SPD cleats only up to the Genius 5. Once you go past that and into carbon soles it's all 3 hole from what I've seen thus far. I've got a pair of 2 year old Genius which I've used as training shoes mostly. They are okay, not overly stiff.

I think I'm going to be more inclined to use an adapter plate which allows you to screw the cleat into the standard steel SPD plate rather than tapping screws into plastic or CF. If I did that I'd always be worried about pulling the cleat off.

--brett