2 Clothing Questions (1 will make you laugh)

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Candt, May 21, 2003.

  1. Candt

    Candt Guest

    Ok, serious one first -

    Whats the stuff you can wash your 'rainproof' jacket in to make it rainproof again? And where am I
    likely to find some?

    ..and now the less serious one....

    Are you meant to wear undercrackers with 'proper' MTB shorts ?!!... Got some Altura Altitudes, which
    have pad, lycra, breathable mesh and windproof outer layer, but I would have thought I'm defeating
    the mesh breathable layer if I put on a pair of soggy cotton boxers underneath... (soggy AFTER I put
    them on and ride for an hour - thanks very much)

    Cheers, and I'm really, really sorry....

    CandT

    Tags:

  2. On Wed, 21 May 2003 14:09:28 +0000, CandT did issue forth:

    > Ok, serious one first -
    >
    > Whats the stuff you can wash your 'rainproof' jacket in to make it rainproof again? And where am I
    > likely to find some?

    Try using something like one of these products:

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?L20D425A4

    > Are you meant to wear undercrackers with 'proper' MTB shorts ?!!... Got some Altura Altitudes,
    > which have pad, lycra, breathable mesh and windproof outer layer, but I would have thought I'm
    > defeating the mesh breathable layer if I put on a pair of soggy cotton boxers underneath... (soggy
    > AFTER I put them on and ride for an hour - thanks very much)

    Undercrackers? That's a new one on me.

    But no, you're not supposed to wear pants. It cuts down on the chafing.

  3. >Whats the stuff you can wash your 'rainproof' jacket in to make it rainproof again? And where am I
    >likely to find some?

    Nikwax TX Direct - get from outdoor equipment type/walking gear shops.

    See www.nikwax.co.uk

    >Are you meant to wear undercrackers with 'proper' MTB shorts ?!!...

    Haven't a clue, never wear MTB shorts!

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. David Nutter

    David Nutter Guest

    CandT <[email protected]> said:
    > Ok, serious one first -
    >
    > Whats the stuff you can wash your 'rainproof' jacket in to make it rainproof again? And where am I
    > likely to find some?

    Depends on the type of jacket. Gore-Tex and equivalents need cleaning with pure soap then treatment
    with a water repelling compound, usually needing a blast in the tumble drier or ironing to activate
    it. For my mountain jacket I use the Grangers Extreme (blue and green cap) products. These are
    heart-stoppingly expensive though, so you may want to use soap flakes[1] instead of the soap liquid.

    Other synthetics can be treated with spray-on treatments like Nikwax TX-Direct or one of the many
    flavours of Fabsil. I've used TX-Direct with success on rucksacks and fleeces.

    Regards,

    -david

    [1] I cough up for the blue cap as the last time I tried using soap flakes the kitchen ended up
    looking as if a mammoth with dandruff had combed its fur nearby

  5. Gadget

    Gadget Guest

    How are you meant to wash Altura Altitudes anyway as I can't seem to find a cleaning label.

    Gadget

  6. M Series

    M Series Guest

    I also use Grangers Extreme, got some right in front of me at them moment with their £4.50 price
    sticker. Don't wear skids under cycling shorts, the chamois is meant to stick to your skin

    "David Nutter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > CandT <[email protected]> said:
    > > Ok, serious one first -
    > >
    > > Whats the stuff you can wash your 'rainproof' jacket in to make it
    rainproof
    > > again? And where am I likely to find some?
    >
    > Depends on the type of jacket. Gore-Tex and equivalents need cleaning with pure soap then
    > treatment with a water repelling compound, usually needing
    > blast in the tumble drier or ironing to activate it. For my mountain
    jacket
    > I use the Grangers Extreme (blue and green cap) products. These are heart-stoppingly expensive
    > though, so you may want to use soap flakes[1] instead of the soap liquid.
    >
    > Other synthetics can be treated with spray-on treatments like Nikwax TX-Direct or one of the many
    > flavours of Fabsil. I've used TX-Direct with success on rucksacks and fleeces.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > -david
    >
    > [1] I cough up for the blue cap as the last time I tried using soap flakes the kitchen ended up
    > looking as if a mammoth with dandruff had combed its fur nearby

  7. Candt

    Candt Guest

    On Wed, 21 May 2003 19:18:28 +0100, "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >How are you meant to wash Altura Altitudes anyway as I can't seem to find a cleaning label.
    >
    >Gadget

    Mine says

    30 degree machine wash Do NOT tumble dry or dry clean Cool Iron only Do not Bleach (duh!) Do not use
    biological detergents or softeners.

    So basically - non-bio detergents, drip dry....

  8. Iain

    Iain Guest

    .
    >On Wed, 21 May 2003 19:18:28 +0100, "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>How are you meant to wash Altura Altitudes anyway as I can't seem to find a cleaning label.
    >>
    >>Gadget
    >>
    >Mine says
    >
    >30 degree machine wash Do NOT tumble dry or dry clean Cool Iron only Do not Bleach (duh!) Do not
    >use biological detergents or softeners.
    >
    >So basically - non-bio detergents, drip dry....
    Opportunity there, Helen, I would have thought, for some skilled washing-machine operative
    (i.e. housewife) ready to set up as a home washer and re-proofer - make a bit on the side.
    (OhmiGawd, wha' did I sayyyy...?)

  9. Candt

    Candt Guest

    On Tue, 27 May 2003 06:51:55 +0100, Iain <FatBlokeOnBike @ mother-truckers.co.uk> wrote:

    >Opportunity there, Helen, I would have thought, for some skilled washing-machine operative
    >(i.e. housewife) ready to set up as a home washer and re-proofer - make a bit on the side.
    > (OhmiGawd, wha' did I sayyyy...?)

    There had BETTER be someone called Helen on this group pal - us
    red-blooded-not-effeminate-in-any-way-though-sometimes-enjoys-watching-Changing-Rooms types don't
    take kindly to being called a girls name. OK?

    CandT

  10. Thus spake CandT <[email protected]>

    > On Tue, 27 May 2003 06:51:55 +0100, Iain <FatBlokeOnBike @ mother-truckers.co.uk> wrote:

    > >Opportunity there, Helen, I would have thought, for some skilled washing-machine operative
    > >(i.e. housewife) ready to set up as a home washer and re-proofer - make a bit on the side.
    > > (OhmiGawd, wha' did I sayyyy...?)
    > >

    > There had BETTER be someone called Helen on this group pal - us
    > red-blooded-not-effeminate-in-any-way-though-sometimes-enjoys-watching-Changing-Rooms types don't
    > take kindly to being called a girls name. OK?

    There are at least two women named Helen here. I'm the one who doesn't ride any more (due to MS).
    I've previously done a lot of touring and Audax. I'm childless and single.

    The other lady is matriarch of the Unfit Family and is otherwise known as paving slab fairy.

    We both post quite a lot here.

  11. Msa

    Msa Guest

    Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    >
    > > Seriously, with me in full mother-mode - when I was any of the
    cycling/outdoor
    > > kit of the Unfit Family, I *always* wash at 30 degrees, on a gentle wash
    (i.e.,
    > > synthetic setting - not cotton setting), with either Loft or Ecover and
    drip
    > > dry.
    >
    > I just wash pretty much *everything* at 40 in Ecover liquid. I used to use Loft until Chris
    > Townsend (TGO's gear guru) suggested the Ecover on uk.rec.walking, and since (a) Chris knows his
    > stuff and tests theories personally and (b) Ecover Liquid is a fraction of the price for the same
    > volume of washing, it's been a good change.
    >
    > > As for outdoor/walking wear, I do iron the polycotton stuff (like
    trousers),
    > > although ironing goes against the grain of this particular slab fairy
    >
    > If you've got proofed stuff then either a warm tumble dry (if you have such a machine, I don't) or
    > a cool iron will tend to give a shot in the arm to the surface action that causes water to bead on
    > the garment rather than soak in (which is the whole point, of course!) so that can be worth a go.
    > I feel pretty stupid ironing tracksters, but it does seem to make a difference to the DXB ones.
    > Aside from that the only ironing I ever do is formal shirts for formal dos. Other stuff, if you
    > get the right stuff, irons itself quite happily by wearing it for a few minutes. My mum is
    > shocked[1] and it doesn't give you razor sharp creases for smart business use but in my line of
    > work (IT Officer) it's fine.
    >
    > > As for proofing, I'm a great fan of Nikwax products (who make Loft) as their TX Direct proofs
    > > stuff in the washing machine.
    >
    > Yup, I use them too. The other Usual Suspect is Grangers, and their stuff works too.
    >
    > Pete.
    >
    > [1] she was very impressed to learn I'd bought a travel iron. Subsequently somewhat less impressed
    > when informed it's for waxing skis!
    >
    > --
    > Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells
    > Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    > http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

    Blimey, this has confused me...I bung the smelly stuff in the hole in the front, stick some white
    stuff in the drawer at the top and push the button!

    The only thing I can remember is a washing powder called OMO that used to make me laugh!

    --
    Mark