2 Day Old Bike - Chain Suck Probs?!?

cc wrote:

>> Jesus Christ.
>>
>> In summary: you've had chainsuck, and damaged your large chainring,
>> because you did not read and apply what the manual (and people here)
>> told you: clean the chain, and don't shift in bad front-back
>> combinations. Instead of taking any initiative or assuming any
>> responsibility for your own bike, you've repeatedly taken it back to
>> the shop, instead of at least attempting to clean and lube it
>> yourself - which is YOUR job, not that of some poor hassled mechanic.
>>
>> "How do I file down this burr?" Give me strength. I'm amazed you
>> haven't been flamed yet.
>>

> He's too pathetic to be worth it.

Hey, he's a newbie. I knew NOTHING about bikes when I bought my first one
(as an adult that is) in 1996, and you better believe the LBS took advantage
of that by charging me to do a lot of stuff that I later learned was easy
and simple.

The fact is a brand-new bike should NOT exhibit chronic chain suck, and the
bike shop should make it right so the poor guy at least has a chance.
Attitudes like the two above are what discourage new riders from sticking to
the sport.

IMO.

BS

Bill Sornson wrote:
> cc wrote:
>>>>>
>>> Jesus Christ.
>>>
>>> In summary: you've had chainsuck, and damaged your large chainring,
>>> because you did not read and apply what the manual (and people here)
>>> told you: clean the chain, and don't shift in bad front-back
>>> combinations. Instead of taking any initiative or assuming any
>>> responsibility for your own bike, you've repeatedly taken it back to
>>> the shop, instead of at least attempting to clean and lube it
>>> yourself - which is YOUR job, not that of some poor hassled mechanic.
>>>
>>> "How do I file down this burr?" Give me strength. I'm amazed you
>>> haven't been flamed yet.
>>>

>> He's too pathetic to be worth it.

> Hey, he's a newbie. I knew NOTHING about bikes when I bought my first one
> (as an adult that is) in 1996, and you better believe the LBS took advantage
> of that by charging me to do a lot of stuff that I later learned was easy
> and simple.

I totally agree, and that's why I advocated taking it back to those in
the know to make it right.

> The fact is a brand-new bike should NOT exhibit chronic chain suck, and the
> bike shop should make it right so the poor guy at least has a chance.
> Attitudes like the two above are what discourage new riders from sticking to
> the sport.

I totally agree again, but there's something missing here. First of all,
I know that bike shop and the mechs there, and get free ****,
adjustment, and good tech talk all the time. His descriptions and
demeanor indicate to me that he is either very whiny, irritating, or is
not very good at listening to what they have to say. I'm sure that if
most others had been in his situation, the bike would be working
properly, either from adjustment or replacement parts. I'm sure that
they'd even file off the burr, and give lubrication/adjustment advice.

One would think that if the OP was really interested in the workings of
his bike, he would be gleaning the adjustment information the wrenches
had to offer. His inability to do so, and continual suggestion of
spending in excess of $100-150 to fix something that isn't broken in the
first place "because on the web it sez so", despite our pleas to the
contrary is indicative of the fact that his level of intelligence has
nothing to do with his cluelessness when it comes to bikes.

Had he not presented himself in such a manner, I might have been welling
to help him out, as I'm in the area. As it is, I just couldn't bring
myself to do it.

IMO.
cc

[email protected] wrote:
>> Attitudes like the two above are what discourage new riders from
>> sticking to the sport.

> Bill, the sport doesn't need riders like this.

You might be right; I really didn't /digest/ the thread...

> <[email protected]> wrote in message if anyone has ideas on how to file down > this bur I'd appreciate it.> > Steven
> You just answered your own question :)> "file down this bur">
> Get a file, and file down the burr :)>
> Cheers Dre

I'll answer my own question since now I have a little knowledge. Got to
watch the tech at the LBS file my crankset down. He used a large long
metal file which looked like it was made of steel. There are many
different types of files. There are finger nail files, metal files,
sandpaper files, etc. Because I am aware of so many different types of
files I was wondering which type is best to use to file down the burs
on the cranks. Now I know.

Steven

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Hey, he's a newbie. I knew NOTHING about bikes when I bought my first one
> (as an adult that is) in 1996, and you better believe the LBS took advantage
> of that by charging me to do a lot of stuff that I later learned was easy
> and simple.
> The fact is a brand-new bike should NOT exhibit chronic chain suck, and the
> bike shop should make it right so the poor guy at least has a chance.
> Attitudes like the two above are what discourage new riders from sticking to
> the sport.
> IMO.
> BS

Thanks Bill. You are right on the money. I know very little about bikes
and my LBS has tried to take advantage of me. I finally got an exchange
although I think the bike I bought was already used as I saw some
scratches that looked like chain suck had already occurred (I know I'm
a glutton for punishment, I'll be ok, trust me).

I wanted to change out the crankset for a new one because I knew that
my bike was going to continue to exhibit chain suck so we got to
talking about new bottom brackets because the cranks I want have a
different specs than my stock. The general manager told me that they
had to measure the bb on my bike so they could know the spindle length.
He said the normal price was $40 but he was willing to give it to me at
discount for $15.

The next day I called Gary Fisher and asked them what my bb bracket
specs were. They told me 73mm was the width and spindle length was
122.5. The manager knew damn well he could have simply looked up the
specs or placed a call to Gary Fisher but no, he tried to con me out of
$15 AND tried to make it sound like he was giving me a deal.

Steven

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message if anyone has ideas on how to
>> file down > this bur I'd appreciate it.> > Steven
>> You just answered your own question :)> "file down this bur">
>> Get a file, and file down the burr :)>
>> Cheers Dre

> I'll answer my own question since now I have a little knowledge. Got to
> watch the tech at the LBS file my crankset down. He used a large long
> metal file which looked like it was made of steel. There are many
> different types of files. There are finger nail files, metal files,
> sandpaper files, etc. Because I am aware of so many different types of
> files I was wondering which type is best to use to file down the burs
> on the cranks. Now I know.
>
> Steven

Mate, your over complicating things. As if you would use a finger nail file
as it is designed for finger nails. Likewise you allready tried sand paper
with no luck. So what does that leave you with, yep, you even said it a
"metal file".

Did you not do any metal work classes at school? They were compulsory for
one year at my high school...

Cheers Dre

Dre wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>><[email protected]> wrote in message if anyone has ideas on how to
>>>file down > this bur I'd appreciate it.> > Steven
>>>You just answered your own question :)> "file down this bur">
>>>Get a file, and file down the burr :)>
>>>Cheers Dre

>>I'll answer my own question since now I have a little knowledge. Got to
>>watch the tech at the LBS file my crankset down. He used a large long
>>metal file which looked like it was made of steel. There are many
>>different types of files. There are finger nail files, metal files,
>>sandpaper files, etc. Because I am aware of so many different types of
>>files I was wondering which type is best to use to file down the burs
>>on the cranks. Now I know.
>>
>>Steven
>>

> Mate, your over complicating things. As if you would use a finger nail file
> as it is designed for finger nails. Likewise you allready tried sand paper
> with no luck. So what does that leave you with, yep, you even said it a
> "metal file".
>
> Did you not do any metal work classes at school? They were compulsory for
> one year at my high school...

in the words of ed dolan, he's
a freaking idiot.

[email protected] wrote:

> The next day I called Gary Fisher and asked them what my bb bracket
> specs were. They told me 73mm was the width and spindle length was
> 122.5. The manager knew damn well he could have simply looked up the
> specs or placed a call to Gary Fisher but no, he tried to con me out of
> $15 AND tried to make it sound like he was giving me a deal.

You sound like the Customer from Hell.

Despite the fact that (as you readily admit) you have no idea what you
are talking about, you somehow feel qualified to conclude that
everything the people at the bike shop are telling you is a lie. I'm
surprised they don't just soak you with a garden hose every time they
see you walking up the street in front of the store.

CC

[email protected] wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote:
>> Hey, he's a newbie. I knew NOTHING about bikes when I bought my first one
>> (as an adult that is) in 1996, and you better believe the LBS took advantage
>> of that by charging me to do a lot of stuff that I later learned was easy
>> and simple.
>> The fact is a brand-new bike should NOT exhibit chronic chain suck, and the
>> bike shop should make it right so the poor guy at least has a chance.
>> Attitudes like the two above are what discourage new riders from sticking to
>> the sport.
>> IMO.
>> BS

<snip sniveling>

STFU and go cry somewhere else. I have tons of good experiences with
them, and DO know what I'm talking about. I'll look for the GF Zebrano
around campus so I can tell you you're a tool in person . . .

[email protected] wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote:
> > Hey, he's a newbie.

<snip>

> Thanks Bill. You are right on the money. I know very little about bikes
> and my LBS has tried to take advantage of me.

<snip>

Are you sure? or is your lack of knowledge keeping from really
understanding what your LBS is trying to do.

<snip>

> I wanted to change out the crankset for a new one because I knew that
> my bike was going to continue to exhibit chain suck

A priori knowledge? or are you drawing from your single experience?

> so we got to
> talking about new bottom brackets because the cranks I want have a
> different specs than my stock. The general manager told me that they
> had to measure the bb on my bike so they could know the spindle length.
> He said the normal price was $40 but he was willing to give it to me at
> discount for $15.

The price for what? for measuring (which would only require the removal
of the crank arrms)? or for the removal, measurement and instalation of
the new unit?

> The next day I called Gary Fisher and asked them what my bb bracket
> specs were. They told me 73mm was the width and spindle length was
> 122.5. The manager knew damn well he could have simply looked up the
> specs or placed a call to Gary Fisher

But the information that GF gave you tells you nothing. As you yourself
stated."we got totalking about new bottom brackets because the cranks I
want have a different specs than my stock." So, now you know that your
TX71 cranks use a 73 width 122.5 length B.B. Did thay also tell you
that it is set up for a 47.5 mm chainline? None of which really
matters, since it is the new crankset determines the needed spindle
length.

> but no, he tried to con me out of
> $15 AND tried to make it sound like he was giving me a deal.

Are you really sure you are being con'd?

BTW have you learned the names of any of the ppl you have worked with
on your problem? You know "that big fat guy," "the long haired guy,"
"tallish guy with dark brown hair," "the tatooed mexican guy." I am
sure they know you by now ...

Sounds like a great working relationship.

On 22 Sep 2006 10:09:20 -0700, "Corvus Corvax"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>>
>> The next day I called Gary Fisher and asked them what my bb bracket
>> specs were. They told me 73mm was the width and spindle length was
>> 122.5. The manager knew damn well he could have simply looked up the
>> specs or placed a call to Gary Fisher but no, he tried to con me out of
>> $15 AND tried to make it sound like he was giving me a deal.

>You sound like the Customer from Hell.
>
>Despite the fact that (as you readily admit) you have no idea what you
>are talking about, you somehow feel qualified to conclude that
>everything the people at the bike shop are telling you is a lie. I'm
>surprised they don't just soak you with a garden hose every time they
>see you walking up the street in front of the store.
>
>CC

Ah the cold water hose treatment. Good idea, but sometimes what the
LBS is doing is better. Keep charging the guy for every little thing
he wants, over and over, till he goes away. The LBS gets his money,
and gets rid of him. Sounds like a win-win situation. :)

I know there are bad LBS shops, because of this, I like to go in and
feel out the place. I ask product questions, and ask for a little
time to get my some 'education' as a better customer. If I get a good
feeling from the LBS, I stick with them. By pure luck, I have an LBS
walking distance, great if I break my bike or just have a question,
and I have to fight with them at times to take my money. They have
'free' workshops, and 'free' part replacements if you aren't satified,
etc, etc.

So back to the OP, be a good consumer, and stop giving your money to a
company/business you do not like. If the bike is flawed and you are
unhappy with the bike's designed, contact the manufacturer.

all imho ofcourse,

tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com

Dre wrote:> Mate, your over complicating things. As if you would use a
finger nail file
> as it is designed for finger nails. Likewise you allready tried sand paper
> with no luck. So what does that leave you with, yep, you even said it a
> "metal file".>> Cheers Dre

I'm a newbie to bicycling. Maybe there's a file specially made to file
down burs on your chain rings? Or maybe there isn't. Maybe there's a
tip or technique that would be helpful. Don't know till you try mate.
;)

Steven

Steve Gravrock wrote:
> On 2006-08-31, Ride-A-Lot <mitchell@[> wrote:
>>
>> Now that you point that out, everyone I know who bought a GF (you get
>> what you pay for) swapped out the cranks. There is/was a known issue
>> with Bontcrapper cranks.

> Do you remember what the problem was with the cranks, exactly?

Sure do.
--
Phil Lee, Squid