2 Fitting Questions........

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Jan 8, 2006.

  1. hi, wondering if there was any bike fitting technique to know how far
    forward/back my seat should be clamped on the rails (ie. is there a
    certain distance the tip should be behind the bottom bracket?), or is
    it just personal preference?

    also, is there a fitting technique regarding stem length selection (ie.
    a specific angle your elbows should bend when on the hoods, drops,
    etc), or again just personal preference?

    thanks!

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] wrote:
    > hi, wondering if there was any bike fitting technique to know how far
    > forward/back my seat should be clamped on the rails (ie. is there a
    > certain distance the tip should be behind the bottom bracket?), or is
    > it just personal preference?
    >
    > also, is there a fitting technique regarding stem length selection (ie.
    > a specific angle your elbows should bend when on the hoods, drops,
    > etc), or again just personal preference?
    >
    > thanks!

    The only 'constant' and it's a fairly 'soft' one is to have the front
    of your knee directly over the ledal spindle when the cranks are 3-9
    oclock, parallel to the groud. Called 'KOPS", knee over pedal spindle,
    generally a good place to start a fit, an indirect measurement of your
    femur length and a determiner of the seat tube angle and where the
    saddle should be on the seat post.

    Once set, along with seat heitght, then top tube length, stem length,
    hbar width and difference, top of saddle to top of hbar, can be
    determined, all of which really depends on you, your flexibility, your
    type of riding, your comfort, etc.