2 Fitting Questions........

hi, wondering if there's a fitting method to determine proper stem
length, and also proper seat fore/aft where the rails are clamped?
didn't know if maybe there's an ideal elbow bend angle for the stem,
and if there's a recommended # of cm the seat tip should be behind the
bb, etc. thanks!

On 8 Jan 2006 07:53:18 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>hi, wondering if there's a fitting method to determine proper stem
>length, and also proper seat fore/aft where the rails are clamped?
>didn't know if maybe there's an ideal elbow bend angle for the stem,
>and if there's a recommended # of cm the seat tip should be behind the
>bb, etc. thanks!

These depend on your intended use of the bike and also your body --
including your body, including your flexilbity and size. The two best
approaches, at least for vigorous athletic cycling, are either to go
to see an expert on bike fit (some shops have such a person, and there
are also people who provide this service independing of shops) or to
get a book about cycling and use the system described in that book,
which will typically involve a bunch of measurements.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

On 8 Jan 2006 07:53:18 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>hi, wondering if there's a fitting method to determine proper stem
>length, and also proper seat fore/aft where the rails are clamped?
>didn't know if maybe there's an ideal elbow bend angle for the stem,
>and if there's a recommended # of cm the seat tip should be behind the
>bb, etc. thanks!

This is an excellent description of the problem.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/kops.html

The bicycle/rider fit is a dynamic system, there is feedback and the rider is
flexible and adaptable within limits. Riders do vary greatly in size proportion
and intended use of the bike, there is no magic number that will be perfect.

Ron

On 8 Jan 2006 07:53:18 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>length, and also proper seat fore/aft where the rails are clamped?

People will argue. I believe that you push the modern, racing type
saddle, fore and aft in the rails so that your sit bones are supported
at the proper width and saddle density. Moving the saddle fore and
aft doesn't really help with getting closer or nearer the handlebars
and also won't effect your knee position over the pedal while riding.