2 Fitting Questions........

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Jan 8, 2006.

  1. hi, wondering if there's a fitting method to determine proper stem
    length, and also proper seat fore/aft where the rails are clamped?
    didn't know if maybe there's an ideal elbow bend angle for the stem,
    and if there's a recommended # of cm the seat tip should be behind the
    bb, etc. thanks!

    Tags:

  2. On 8 Jan 2006 07:53:18 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >hi, wondering if there's a fitting method to determine proper stem
    >length, and also proper seat fore/aft where the rails are clamped?
    >didn't know if maybe there's an ideal elbow bend angle for the stem,
    >and if there's a recommended # of cm the seat tip should be behind the
    >bb, etc. thanks!

    These depend on your intended use of the bike and also your body --
    including your body, including your flexilbity and size. The two best
    approaches, at least for vigorous athletic cycling, are either to go
    to see an expert on bike fit (some shops have such a person, and there
    are also people who provide this service independing of shops) or to
    get a book about cycling and use the system described in that book,
    which will typically involve a bunch of measurements.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  3. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On 8 Jan 2006 07:53:18 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >hi, wondering if there's a fitting method to determine proper stem
    >length, and also proper seat fore/aft where the rails are clamped?
    >didn't know if maybe there's an ideal elbow bend angle for the stem,
    >and if there's a recommended # of cm the seat tip should be behind the
    >bb, etc. thanks!

    This is an excellent description of the problem.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/kops.html

    The bicycle/rider fit is a dynamic system, there is feedback and the rider is
    flexible and adaptable within limits. Riders do vary greatly in size proportion
    and intended use of the bike, there is no magic number that will be perfect.

    Ron

  4. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On 8 Jan 2006 07:53:18 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >length, and also proper seat fore/aft where the rails are clamped?

    People will argue. I believe that you push the modern, racing type
    saddle, fore and aft in the rails so that your sit bones are supported
    at the proper width and saddle density. Moving the saddle fore and
    aft doesn't really help with getting closer or nearer the handlebars
    and also won't effect your knee position over the pedal while riding.