2 flats in 2 miles

lbraasch

Jul 24, 2007
I got stranded today on my Saturday ride. Like a fool, I didn't bring an extra tube, nor the pump, so I got to walk 3 miles to the bus stop in cycling shoes.

Decided it was time for new tires, and upgraded to some gatorskins. The original tires were 700x25, but the salesman at my LBS said to switch to 700x23. Mount up the new tires and tubes, take it for a ride to scrub in the tires. 2 miles out, another flat.

What should I be looking for when inspecting the rim? I'm assuming I have a sharp point somewhere causing the punctures. However, when running my finger along the inside, I feel no burrs.

Advice?

lbraasch said:
I got stranded today on my Saturday ride. Like a fool, I didn't bring an extra tube, nor the pump, so I got to walk 3 miles to the bus stop in cycling shoes.

Decided it was time for new tires, and upgraded to some gatorskins. The original tires were 700x25, but the salesman at my LBS said to switch to 700x23. Mount up the new tires and tubes, take it for a ride to scrub in the tires. 2 miles out, another flat.

What should I be looking for when inspecting the rim? I'm assuming I have a sharp point somewhere causing the punctures. However, when running my finger along the inside, I feel no burrs.

Advice?

Well, first, the LBS guy is a dipshit if he told you to switch to 23c tires. 25c tires allow you to run a lower pressure which gives a more comfortable ride while offering better flat resistance. Second, I feel sorry for your poor butt, because the Gatorskins will not be kind to it.:D

As for flats, you need to:
  1. Make sure you're running your tires at the right pressure. Over-inflated tires are more likely to flat.
  2. Make sure that you're paying attention to stuff on the road. A great number of flats can be avoided just by steering around the manky stuff.
  3. Make sure not have the tube pinched between the tire bead and the rim.
  4. Make sure that you've got a good rim tape that properly covers your spoke bed.

Maybe you are doing everything right. Sometimes you just get **** luck. When the monsoon season starts 'round these parts, tire flat season really kicks into gear as the torrential downpours and flash floods wash goatheads, glass, cactus needles, and other sharp **** out onto the roads. Last year, in karmically suck-worthy stretch of time, I got 10 flats in a little over a week: 4 on tubulars and 6 with clinchers. I don't normally get many flats, but sometimes your number just comes up.

I was having a similar problem last month when I discovered the rim strip on the wheel was positioned off-center enough to expose a spoke hole. The edge of the spoke hole was sharp enough to wear a puncture into the tube after about 10 miles of riding, so check that rim strip.

hd reynolds said:
Put Slime in your tubes.... absolutely no flats.
Please elaborate. Is it the same stuff as car slime? How do you get it into the valve, as car valves are different.

hd reynolds said:
Put Slime in your tubes.... absolutely no flats.
Personal opinion here, but Slime (and it's breathen) is outright ****!!:mad:
If you really think you need it, buy it already in the tube
It can also gunk up your pump head if your not careful