2 kids one bike

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by earthmama, Apr 9, 2006.

  1. earthmama

    earthmama Guest

    Hi
    I was wondering if it was possible to take 2 children on a bike. I
    have a 4 year old 38lbs and a 2 year old 26lbs. I thought about the
    trailer bike extension for the 4 year old and a seat for the 2 year
    old, seems like it would be hard to keep balanced. I also thought about
    the burley bike trailer for 2 but seems as though it would be lopsided
    and I don't know if my 4 year old would be ok in there, she is pretty
    tall. I live in a pretty small town and would love to commute when
    nice, any suggestions, any experience. Thanks Anne

    Tags:

  2. Rich

    Rich Guest

    earthmama wrote:
    > Hi
    > I was wondering if it was possible to take 2 children on a bike. I
    > have a 4 year old 38lbs and a 2 year old 26lbs. I thought about the
    > trailer bike extension for the 4 year old and a seat for the 2 year
    > old, seems like it would be hard to keep balanced. I also thought about
    > the burley bike trailer for 2 but seems as though it would be lopsided
    > and I don't know if my 4 year old would be ok in there, she is pretty
    > tall. I live in a pretty small town and would love to commute when
    > nice, any suggestions, any experience. Thanks Anne

    On several occasions I've seen a lady pulling a trail-a-bike and a
    trailer. The whole setup was About 18 feet long, and slow going I'm
    guessing. But it seems to work for her as I've seen her numerous times.

  3. peter

    peter Guest

    earthmama wrote:
    > I was wondering if it was possible to take 2 children on a bike. I
    > have a 4 year old 38lbs and a 2 year old 26lbs. I thought about the
    > trailer bike extension for the 4 year old and a seat for the 2 year
    > old, seems like it would be hard to keep balanced. I also thought about
    > the burley bike trailer for 2 but seems as though it would be lopsided
    > and I don't know if my 4 year old would be ok in there, she is pretty
    > tall. I live in a pretty small town and would love to commute when
    > nice, any suggestions, any experience.

    Where there's a will, there's a way. Trailers aren't very sensitive to
    the side-to-side loading, so I wouldn't worry too much about it being
    lopsided with a heavier child on one side. Not sure about the Burley,
    but there certainly are trailers large enough fit a 4 and 2 year old
    together. When my daughter was two I went cycling with a friend on my
    tandem and we towed his trailer with his 6 year-old, 4 year-old, and my
    2 year-old. We went on a number of rides with that arrangement and
    there was plenty of room, even when some of them started nodding off
    and shifting around. Unfortunately I've forgotten the make of trailer.

    The longest arrangement I've seen was a couple riding their tandem with
    a tandem tag-along bike for their two older kids and followed by a
    trailer with the two younger kids.

    OTOH, in Europe it's rather common to see children up to 2 or 3 in a
    front-mounted seat while their older sibling sits in a seat on the
    back.

    Whatever arrangement you use, I'd recommend a few trial runs with sacks
    of potatos or something similar substituting for the kids so you can
    get used to any balance changes and also try some quick turns and stops
    to see how those are affected.

  4. earthmama wrote:
    > Hi
    > I was wondering if it was possible to take 2 children on a bike. I
    > have a 4 year old 38lbs and a 2 year old 26lbs.

    I have taken my two and four-y-os in a double trailer. It was a
    squeeze in Winter coats and they sometimes bicker. It is a heavy load
    on a hill but no imbalance problems. When I take them both now, I use
    a bike seat and the trailer but I tend only to do local trips

    best wishes
    james

  5. Buck

    Buck Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I have taken my two and four-y-os in a double trailer. It was a
    > squeeze in Winter coats and they sometimes bicker. It is a heavy load
    > on a hill but no imbalance problems. When I take them both now, I use
    > a bike seat and the trailer but I tend only to do local trips

    I have also pulled a trailer with a two and a four year old aboard. It
    does get a bit crowded with both of them in there. When they get rowdy,
    it can wiggle the bike around, but nothing significant.

    The biggest worry is the quality of your brakes. Stopping the bike with
    the additional 80 to 100 pounds pushing from the back requires a good
    set of brakes and plenty of stopping distance. Just watch out on big
    hills and everything should be fine!

    -Buck

  6. Scott L

    Scott L Guest

    Buck wrote:
    > earthmama wrote:
    >
    >>>Hi
    >>> I was wondering if it was possible to take 2 children on a bike. I
    >>>have a 4 year old 38lbs and a 2 year old 26lbs.

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >>I have taken my two and four-y-os in a double trailer. It was a
    >>squeeze in Winter coats and they sometimes bicker. It is a heavy load
    >>on a hill but no imbalance problems. When I take them both now, I use
    >>a bike seat and the trailer but I tend only to do local trips

    > I have also pulled a trailer with a two and a four year old aboard. It
    > does get a bit crowded with both of them in there. When they get rowdy,
    > it can wiggle the bike around, but nothing significant.
    >
    > The biggest worry is the quality of your brakes. Stopping the bike with
    > the additional 80 to 100 pounds pushing from the back requires a good
    > set of brakes and plenty of stopping distance. Just watch out on big
    > hills and everything should be fine!
    >
    > -Buck

    My problems with pulling 100 pounds of kids
    in the Trailer were of the breaking chain
    variety.

    We also did the bike pulling tag-a-long bike
    pulling Burley for a while. Feasible, but not
    very fun.

    We also had a two-seater tagalong, which was
    the least stable configuration. Too much weight
    and kids that were too wiggly.

    Scott