2 months later and bearings have gone...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Thomas, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. Thomas

    Thomas Guest

    Hi All,

    Cycled to work on Tuesday and felt Something Wrong. Slight groans coming from the crankset.
    Sadly, my colleague who knows about such things was away. I assumed something had come a bit
    loose due to the heat.

    Cycled into work today, something's even wronger. Pedals move slightly side-to-side after each groan
    and click. Bother. Colleague identifys that the bearings "have gone." Drat.

    So, I'm going to take the bike into the shop tomorrow morning and see what I can get done for free,
    the bike being two months old 'n' all.

    Anyways, it's a cheap and nasty Radford Exon that I picked up for £180, but still I'm slightly at a
    loss - what could I be doing wrong that could cause such damage in such a small space of time?

    Cheers, Thomas.

    Tags:

  2. A Lee

    A Lee Guest

    "Thomas" <tom [at] greysheep [dot] co [dot] uk> wrote:

    > Anyways, it's a cheap and nasty Radford Exon that I picked up for £180, but still I'm slightly at
    > a loss - what could I be doing wrong that could cause such damage in such a small space of time?

    I am presuming that this has the old type BB with the separate ball bearings? If so, it has either
    been tightened too much when fitted, or the ball bearing cones are out of round, so they may be
    adjusted right in one place, but they will be tight in another as the crank goes round. Just fitting
    new ball bearings will likely not cure it for long.It's likely to need a new BB. Alan.
    --
    Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by e-mail. http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road Cycling in the
    North Midlands.

  3. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Thomas <[email protected][at].invalid> writes
    >Hi All,
    >
    >Cycled to work on Tuesday and felt Something Wrong. Slight groans coming from the crankset. Sadly,
    >my colleague who knows about such things was away. I assumed something had come a bit loose due to
    >the heat.
    >
    >Cycled into work today, something's even wronger. Pedals move slightly side-to-side after each
    >groan and click. Bother. Colleague identifys that the bearings "have gone." Drat.

    Do you mean the pedals move on their axles or the whole crankset can move (if the latter as I think
    you mean) it's the bottom bracket.

    >So, I'm going to take the bike into the shop tomorrow morning and see what I can get done for free,
    >the bike being two months old 'n' all.

    At that age the very least I would accept is to have it repaired by the bike shop for free.

    >Anyways, it's a cheap and nasty Radford Exon that I picked up for £180, but still I'm slightly at a
    >loss - what could I be doing wrong that could cause such damage in such a small space of time?

    I don't think you have done anything wrong. Either the bottom bracket was faulty/of poor quality or
    it was badly installed.

    OK so the bike was cheap, and no I wouldn't expect the bottom bracket to last as long as a better
    quality bike, but 2 months is a joke.

    If they are a decent place I'm sure they will sort it, but if they argue about it, as the fault has
    occurred within 6 months, the responsibility is on the retailer to prove that the part was OK when
    it was sold - if they can't then you can choose a free repair, a replacement, a reduction in the
    price or ask to return it for a refund (they may reduce the amount they refund to you to allow for
    the 2 month's use that you have had).

    If you aren't clear on your rights in this area (and most people seem to have a number of
    misconceptions) then I suggest a read up on the Trading standards site before you go.

    Have a look at the stuff at:

    <http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/callist.cgi>

    in particular (unless you live in Scotland)

    <http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/calitem.cgi?file=ADV0043-1011 .txt>
    --
    Chris French, Leeds