2 problems

Coaster

Guest
Problem 1: I recently overhauled my external bearing race bottom bracket to
get rid of constant creaking noises. I used Teflon tape instead of grease,
and that got rid of the creaks but now I'm hearing sort of a low clunk that
occurs when I'm pedaling, but not in sync with any pedal strokes. It will
even occur just after I stop pedaling, but not when I've been coasting for a
while. It's hard to tell where the noise is coming from but it's loud
enough and often enough that I'm concerned about it. I'm not sure if it has
anything to do with my BB overhaul, but I did flip the bike over and noticed
a line on the bottom of the BB shell that could be a crack. The line is
hairline thin and perfectly straight and perpendicular to the bike frame so
I'm not sure if it's a manufacturing impression or an actual crack. My bike
is an aluminum '05 Specialized Allez Elite that's had one low speed wreck.
The line looks like it could have some separation and I want to inspect the
inside of the BB shell, which brings me to.....

Problem 2: When I tried to remove the adjusting cap off the crank arm, I
rounded the hex opening, so now I'm stuck. I'm not sure why the cap is so
hard to remove as it came off easily before and I used grease and a torque
wrench to install it when I overhauled the BB. The BB/crankset is FSA
MegaExo. I know the cap is trashed and I can probably get another one from
FSA but what would be the easiest way to remove it? Will an easyout work on
something like this?

Obviously, my main concern is a compromised bike body, if that's really the
case here. I've had another aluminum bike break on the drive-side chainstay
at the dropout the day before a century ride, and I don't want this one
folding on me at high speed. If you have any insights into either of my
problems, it would be appreciated.

Coaster wrote:
> Problem 1: I recently overhauled my external bearing race bottom bracket to
> get rid of constant creaking noises. I used Teflon tape instead of grease,

Use both and prep the frame-IE, face the BB shell

> and that got rid of the creaks but now I'm hearing sort of a low clunk that
> occurs when I'm pedaling, but not in sync with any pedal strokes. It will
> even occur just after I stop pedaling, but not when I've been coasting for a
> while. It's hard to tell where the noise is coming from but it's loud
> enough and often enough that I'm concerned about it. I'm not sure if it has
> anything to do with my BB overhaul, but I did flip the bike over and noticed
> a line on the bottom of the BB shell that could be a crack. The line is
> hairline thin and perfectly straight and perpendicular to the bike frame so
> I'm not sure if it's a manufacturing impression or an actual crack. My bike
> is an aluminum '05 Specialized Allez Elite that's had one low speed wreck.
> The line looks like it could have some separation and I want to inspect the
> inside of the BB shell, which brings me to.....
>
> Problem 2: When I tried to remove the adjusting cap off the crank arm, I
> rounded the hex opening, so now I'm stuck. I'm not sure why the cap is so
> hard to remove as it came off easily before and I used grease and a torque
> wrench to install it when I overhauled the BB. The BB/crankset is FSA
> MegaExo. I know the cap is trashed and I can probably get another one from
> FSA but what would be the easiest way to remove it? Will an easyout work on
> something like this?

Did ya loosen the pich bolts first? Dremel a slot in it, use a big
flat tool like a cone wrench or drill two holes and use a pin tool.