2 Way Fit Wheels - Tubeless Tyre Repair

Outlook

Apr 3, 2009
Does anybody have any experience in repairing flats when using tubeless tyres?
Is it possible to use a tube in a tubeless tyre to get you home?
Thanks
Anthony

Outlook said:
Thanks
Anthony

No experience with the repair end, but yes, you can use a tube inside a tubeless tire.

Outlook said:
Yes, you can theoretically use a tube ... MTBers who use tubeless tyres often carry a tube + something to "boot" any potential gashes in the sidewall ...

BUT, hopefully, the sealant/"latex-(foam)" that is sloshing-around inside the tyre will seal any punctures.

A sealant will make using a tube problematic (i.e., messy ... bring paper towels) ... so, you have to weigh the pluses-and-minuses of using a sealant, or not.

I don't know if any sealants are recommended OR excluded/incompatible.

TUFO sealant is presumably good up to the extreme maxiumum PSI of their tyres, so that's what I would probably use OR the latex-foam sealant which I believe someone developed for tubeless tyres ... and then, I would hope that I wouldn't need to use the spare tube (and, paper towels) which I would probably carry just in case the sealant failed.

Thanks for the advice so far!

I am wondering if it is really worth all; th trouble of having tubeless tyres on Road bikes, of you have to carry around the spare tube in any case, I can imagine the sealant makes a mess of the rims of the wheel?