2 Wheel Sets

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by SKAUFMAN12, Sep 3, 2004.

1. SKAUFMAN12

SKAUFMAN12 New Member

I am considering getting a second wheel set so I can set one up for bad weather and harsh conditions and the other for regualar dry rides. The harsh weather set will have closed type bearings and all weather tires. Does anyone think this is a good/bad idea? Also, Would there be any problems switching rear wheels if each had its own cassette and one is a Shimano and the other is SRAM - would I need to make dureiler or other adjustments?

Tags:

2. closesupport

closesupport Banned

theres a shimano tiagra wheelset on ebay, not a bad wheel for its price!

especially as a training wheel

3. jasong

jasong New Member

I think you would need to make adjustments-- you'll quickly see when you get your new set. The points in 3D space of the upper/lower cogs are going to be slightly different than with the other set, so you'll need to possibly adjust your upper/lower stops. But maybe not. But just a hair off and you'll have derailleur noise.

4. cachehiker

cachehiker New Member

What is your primary wheelset?

I don't believe the SRAM/Shimano cassette switch will be an issue, but the hubs might be. I always had to tweak the barrel adjuster about 3/4 turn when I was switching between cheap Joytech (I think) hubs with a Sunrace cassette and Mavic hubs with an Ultegra cassette before I sold my old road bike six months ago.

On the new road bike, I routinely switch between Mavic Cosmos with a 12-27 cassette and training tires and Mavic Ksyriums with a 12-23 cassette and racing tires. No adjustments required.

On the mountain bike, I routinely switch between LX/517's with a SRAM 11-34 cassette and fast XC tires and Alivio/ZAC19's with a Shimano 12-34 cassette and knobby Bomb tires. No adjustments required.

5. closesupport

closesupport Banned

mavic cosmic deep rimms (12/21) (tri/tt)
    Quadro shimano "12/27) (training road)
    Deore 11/32) mtb (beater)

no adjustments here either, i have a different bike for different tasks, means i don't have to mess about making alterations, and i can just go!

6. daveornee

daveornee New Member

What are you asking for with the "closed type bearings"?
    Do you mean a sealed cartidge bearing type? Cartridge bearings are made for high speed (15,000 R.P.M) and most for purely radial loading.
    "Sealed" cartridge bearings have less foul weather protection than a good quality Shimano hub. Good quality Shminao hubs have Labyrinth & Contact Sealing: Shuts out water, mud and dirt. If you are looking at road hubs: Ultegra and Mountain: XT.

Switching wheels with different cassettes is not an issue as long as the cassette mounting position is the same relative the right drop-out.
    Switching wheels with different tires is quite common and can work to your advantage.
    Also remember to select rims that have very close to the same width so you won't need to adjust and re-adjust your bakes for each change.

7. sorebutt

sorebutt New Member

Take look at Campy Vento. they go for $230 a set!! they look cool! . :)
    the drawback: they weigh almost 2kg.. I dont really care how light or heavy the wheels are... I have 600 miles on mine and they are as good as new...
    see picture