    Subject: I finally got revenge !!
    From: Graham

    Cyclists that pass me on the right have been pissing me off for years. You
    finally get past them ... stop at a light and they squeeze past you again
    and your stuck doing 5 km/h for the next two blocks trying to get past them.

    Today I was riding home from work and one of the little bastard ran into me
    !

    I was making a right turn onto a side street off a two lane street. He was
    riding in the left lane when the traffic stopped. He figured it would be a
    good idea to swing into the right lane and pass everyone. I was already half
    way through the turn when he smashed into me.

    He ran into my front tire and somehow managed to slide behind my bike ... he
    didn't get crushed. But his bike did ... I crushed it good !!!

    And how is this for luck ... There was a bike cop two cars behind me that
    saw the whole thing ! The guy got an $86 ticket for unsafe passing and 10
    minute lecture from the cop !

    When I ran over his bike my back tire blew. I just happened to be right
    across the street from the local motor sickle dealer ! The cop agreed to
    forget the accident report if the guy bought me a new tire. The guy almost
    shit when he got the bill. But in the end I finally got my revenge and a
    brand new rear tire !

    Life is good ! Well ... for me at least.

    Graham
    03' ZX6R

    ------------------------

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    Tags:

  2. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I found this post today in alt.motocycle.sportbike. Why are people such
    >assholes?
    >------------------------
    >Subject: I finally got revenge !!
    >From: Graham
    >
    >Cyclists that pass me on the right have been pissing me off for years. You
    >finally get past them ... stop at a light and they squeeze past you again
    >and your stuck doing 5 km/h for the next two blocks trying to get past them.

    FWIW, I agree with the motorcycle rider (sort of) in this case. I
    make it a point to never pass traffic at a stoplight / stop sign - if
    they'll have to wait to get around me again. On roads where there is
    ample passing room beyond the light, it's a non-issue. If there isn't
    room, I'll stop behind the last stopped car in line and follow it
    through the light (keeping up in a situation like this is hardly ever
    difficult).

    The "sort of" qualifier is added because I can't imagine a public road
    so narrow that there's not room for a bicycle and motorcycle to pass
    side by side without "squeezing" (speaks volumes of the lack of
    piloting skills of the motorcyclist).

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  3. bri719

    bri719 Guest

    Carla A-G wrote:

    >I found this post today in alt.motocycle.sportbike. Why are people such
    >assholes?

    wow what a jackass...."I crushed it good!"?? damn. I understand he
    found the cyclist at fault, but he's lucky he didn't severely injure the
    guy. and he's proud of completely destroying his equipment. sad.

    I just completed traffic school last Saturday (mostly a waste of time
    but that's another story) so maybe I'm being a little oversensitive but
    I doubt it. I would have expected completely the opposite from guys on
    motorbikes since they're pretty much like us -- on 2 wheels, and
    vulnerable and unprotected from cars. granted I don't ride much on
    roads except to get to trails but I still feel nervous on the road some
    of the time. for the life of me I can't understand how a motorcyclist
    could get "stuck" behind a bicycle. is he really that bad of a rider
    that he can't find a way to fit by a skinny ol bike riding next to the
    curb? certainly the cyclists he's talking about can't be in the middle
    of the road or a whole line of cars would be stuck behind. makes little
    sense. by the way he mocks the cyclist in question for wanting to "pass
    people on the right"...where else is a cyclist supposed to pass slower
    vehicles? does he not realize we're just trying to keep the gears
    turning in our tiny little space over there on the right side of the
    road. the only time I ever really venture into traffic is if there's a
    right turn lane and I'm going straight (then I hug the edge of the right
    lane, but check for other traffic first).

    I was thinking I should get a bright yellow sticker on the back of my
    truck reading "WATCH FOR CYCLISTS" just to make idiots like this more
    aware. hey if there's nowhere to buy one I'd just figure out a way to
    make my own.

    ride safe everyone
    b.

    --

    * enjoying the karma *
    remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

  4. Carla A-G wrote:
    > I found this post today in alt.motocycle.sportbike. Why are people

    such
    > assholes?

    Well, the cyclist shouldn't have been passing right-turning traffic on
    the right. But we all know that.

    However, his really sounds like a deliberate act on the part of the
    motorcyclist. Too bad the cyclist was dumb enough to go for the "the
    cop agreed to forget the accident report if the guy bought me a new
    tire" bit. He could probably take this post into court and get his bike
    paid for at the very least.

    CC

  5. bri719 wrote:
    > I don't ride much on roads except to get to trails

    That explains a lot about what follows.

    > he mocks the cyclist in question for wanting to "pass
    > people on the right"...where else is a cyclist supposed to pass

    slower
    > vehicles?

    On the left, like any other vehicle.

    > the only time I ever really venture into traffic is if there's a
    > right turn lane and I'm going straight (then I hug the edge of the

    right
    > lane, but check for other traffic first).

    I imagine your mean time between serious accidents must be very, very
    low.

    Learn to ride before you see fit to dispense advice, ok?

    CC

  6. bri719

    bri719 Guest

    Corvus Corvax wrote:

    >>he mocks the cyclist in question for wanting to "pass
    >>people on the right"...where else is a cyclist supposed to pass
    >>

    >slower
    >

    >>vehicles?
    >>

    >On the left, like any other vehicle.

    maybe we're just talking about apples and oranges here, but I'm not
    about to ride out into traffic unless there's a very good reason...if
    it's a 3 lane road and the cars in the "#3" lane are standing at a red
    light and I'm accelerating (passing them) the second the light turns
    green, it's on their right.

    if a car in said lane is going 10 miles below the speed limit in the
    middle of his own lane, I'm not going to venture around him into the
    middle of the road. there's room to pass on the right whether there's a
    bike lane or not (the road where I typically ride to get to a local
    trail has one...)

    >> the only time I ever really venture into traffic is if there's a
    >>right turn lane and I'm going straight (then I hug the edge of the
    >>

    >right
    >

    >>lane, but check for other traffic first).
    >>

    >I imagine your mean time between serious accidents must be very, very
    >low.

    I've never been involved in one, so I guess that would have to be a
    negative. in fact I was talking about doing the opposite of what the
    rider apparently did in the above example. so which are you saying is
    correct? you seem to imply both are wrong...

    >Learn to ride before you see fit to dispense advice, ok?

    sure thing...maybe you can lecture me about the procedures of riding in
    traffic on dirt next.

    LOL

    --

    * enjoying the karma *
    remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

  7. kantspel

    kantspel Guest

    Corvus Corvax wrote:
    > Carla A-G wrote:
    >
    >>I found this post today in alt.motocycle.sportbike. Why are people

    > such
    >
    >>assholes?

    > Well, the cyclist shouldn't have been passing right-turning traffic on
    > the right. But we all know that.
    >
    > However, his really sounds like a deliberate act on the part of the
    > motorcyclist.

    "I was already halfway through the turn when he smashed into me."

    I dunno, sounds like the bicycle caused the crash. Of course the
    information we have is slightly biased, but even the bike cop faulted
    the bicyclist.

    > He could probably take this post into court and get his bike
    > paid for at the very least.

    Again, even the cop faulted the cyclist. If it was his fault then he
    did the right thing by owning up to it on the spot and paying for the
    damage he caused.

    Sure the moto dude sounds like an ass but in this case I think he had a
    right to be pissed off.

  8. JD

    JD Guest

    Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > The "sort of" qualifier is added because I can't imagine a public road
    > so narrow that there's not room for a bicycle and motorcycle to pass
    > side by side without "squeezing" (speaks volumes of the lack of
    > piloting skills of the motorcyclist).

    Most of these crotch-rocket kids have no idea how to ride. We scrape
    them up off of the pavement from time to time here. At least the
    Harley poseurs are drunk when we scrape them up. Any good
    motorcyclist is good at predicting an idiot move and avoiding a crash
    by doing so.

    That said, it sounds like the bicyclist was in the wrong, even if the
    motorcyclist was a lamer, or creep. If one is scofflaw type
    commuter/road bicyclist, they must be willing to accept responsibility
    for their misdeeds when they go awry.

    JD

  9. supabonbon

    supabonbon Guest

    Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I found this post today in alt.motocycle.sportbike. Why are people such
    > >assholes?
    > >------------------------
    > >Subject: I finally got revenge !!
    > >From: Graham
    > >
    > >Cyclists that pass me on the right have been pissing me off for years. You
    > >finally get past them ... stop at a light and they squeeze past you again
    > >and your stuck doing 5 km/h for the next two blocks trying to get past them.

    > FWIW, I agree with the motorcycle rider (sort of) in this case. I
    > make it a point to never pass traffic at a stoplight / stop sign - if
    > they'll have to wait to get around me again. On roads where there is
    > ample passing room beyond the light, it's a non-issue. If there isn't
    > room, I'll stop behind the last stopped car in line and follow it
    > through the light (keeping up in a situation like this is hardly ever
    > difficult).
    >
    > The "sort of" qualifier is added because I can't imagine a public road
    > so narrow that there's not room for a bicycle and motorcycle to pass
    > side by side without "squeezing" (speaks volumes of the lack of
    > piloting skills of the motorcyclist).
    >
    > Mark Hickey
    > Habanero Cycles
    > http://www.habcycles.com
    > Home of the $695 ti frame

    I disagree. I think Graham deserves to be stabbed repeatedly.

    One reporter's opinion.

    /s

  10. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    > Most of these crotch-rocket kids have no idea how to ride. We scrape
    > them up off of the pavement from time to time here. At least the
    > Harley poseurs are drunk when we scrape them up. Any good
    > motorcyclist is good at predicting an idiot move and avoiding a crash
    > by doing so.

    We see it here all the time too. All they know about a crotch rocket is to
    go straight and as fast as possible. Put these guys on a race track and they
    would be dead before completing the first lap.

    One thing I learned when I first started to moto was to constantly be aware
    of your surroundings and every vehicle around you and predict what might
    happen within that instant and be able to react.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  11. Carla says:

    <snip carnage>>Graham
    >03' ZX6R

    Typical ZX6R rider ;-)

  12. TBF

    TBF Guest

    > Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> The "sort of" qualifier is added because I can't imagine a public road
    >> so narrow that there's not room for a bicycle and motorcycle to pass
    >> side by side without "squeezing" (speaks volumes of the lack of
    >> piloting skills of the motorcyclist).

    > Most of these crotch-rocket kids have no idea how to ride. We scrape
    > them up off of the pavement from time to time here. At least the
    > Harley poseurs are drunk when we scrape them up. Any good
    > motorcyclist is good at predicting an idiot move and avoiding a crash
    > by doing so.
    >
    > That said, it sounds like the bicyclist was in the wrong, even if the
    > motorcyclist was a lamer, or creep. If one is scofflaw type
    > commuter/road bicyclist, they must be willing to accept responsibility
    > for their misdeeds when they go awry.
    >
    > JD

    Oh now your a motorcycle expert ? I have two "crotch rockets" and I can tell
    you statistically that most motorcyclists I know would laugh at you for that
    first statement. Stick to AMB buddy.

    A stupid rider on a motorcycle is just that, stupid. It has nothing to do
    with age or skill.

  13. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    Carla A-G wrote:
    > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Most of these crotch-rocket kids have no idea how to ride. We scrape
    >>them up off of the pavement from time to time here. At least the
    >>Harley poseurs are drunk when we scrape them up. Any good
    >>motorcyclist is good at predicting an idiot move and avoiding a crash
    >>by doing so.

    > We see it here all the time too. All they know about a crotch rocket is to
    > go straight and as fast as possible. Put these guys on a race track and they
    > would be dead before completing the first lap.

    The "Never use the front brake" crowd. And forget counter steering.

    > One thing I learned when I first started to moto was to constantly be aware
    > of your surroundings and every vehicle around you and predict what might
    > happen within that instant and be able to react.

    Well said. I started riding a motorcycle after years of road riding a
    bicycle (never heard of a MTB in '78). I knew before the first time I
    let out the clutch that I was invisible to everyone else on the road
    (cars, other motorcycles, bikes, peds). They're all idiots or function
    at that level enough of the time that their actions are your
    responsibility if you want to stay upright. If you know this, you're a
    long way toward surviving on the road.

  14. bri719 wrote:

    > maybe we're just talking about apples and oranges here, but I'm not
    > about to ride out into traffic unless there's a very good reason...

    Typical newbie attitude. You _are_ traffic!

    > if it's a 3 lane road and the cars in the "#3" lane are standing at a

    red
    > light and I'm accelerating (passing them) the second the light turns
    > green, it's on their right.

    If I understand you correctly, this is an excellent way to get
    right-hooked.

    > if a car in said lane is going 10 miles below the speed limit in the
    > middle of his own lane, I'm not going to venture around him into the
    > middle of the road. there's room to pass on the right whether

    there's a
    > bike lane or not (the road where I typically ride to get to a local
    > trail has one...)

    If he's going too fast to pass on the left, why pass him at all? If you
    are going at or over the speed of other traffic, you should be in the
    lane like other traffic. Very simple. You move right when you are
    slower than the prevailing traffic flow.

    Passing on the right is a convenience we all avail ourselves of from
    time to time, but it is fundamentally dangerous.

    > >> the only time I ever really venture into traffic is if there's a
    > >>right turn lane and I'm going straight (then I hug the edge of the

    > >right lane, but check for other traffic first).
    > >
    > >I imagine your mean time between serious accidents must be very,

    very
    > >low.
    > >

    > I've never been involved in one, so I guess that would have to be a
    > negative. in fact I was talking about doing the opposite of what the

    > rider apparently did in the above example. so which are you saying

    is
    > correct? you seem to imply both are wrong...

    My apologies. I interpreted this to mean that you hugged the right of
    the _turn_ lane, not the straight-through traffic lane. However, in
    this situation you are much better off briefly taking the center of the
    straight-through lane, to avoid being pinched between two lanes of
    traffic. Only stay to the extreme right here if the lane is easily wide
    enough to accomodate you, the straight-ahead traffic on your left, and
    the turning traffic on your right all at the same time. Any doubt about
    that, and you own the straight-ahead lane. Take it.

    > >Learn to ride before you see fit to dispense advice, ok?
    > >

    > sure thing...maybe you can lecture me about the procedures of riding

    in
    > traffic on dirt next.
    >
    > LOL

    My assessment of your riding abilities stands. Hope you learn the easy
    way and not the hard way.

    Cheers.

    CC

  15. Only in New York.

    I MTB 2004

  16. bri719

    bri719 Guest

    Corvus Corvax wrote:

    >Typical newbie attitude. You _are_ traffic!

    I realize we all have to share the roads (even pedestrians) but I'll
    assure you I like to keep an eye on my surrounds and mostly ride to
    where I'm going defensively...sure I don't have a buncha mirrors on my
    helmet or mirror (lights and reflective clothing yes), but I've been
    rear ended twice in an automobile so I definitely know the dangers.

    >If I understand you correctly, this is an excellent way to get
    >right-hooked.

    the turn lane is on my right...so no not really. I get out of those
    peoples' way and then let them do their thing. I don't even think about
    passing them at that point, they're over..done with (unless they're
    riding the line or making strange manouvers).

    >My apologies. I interpreted this to mean that you hugged the right of
    >the _turn_ lane, not the straight-through traffic lane. However, in
    >this situation you are much better off briefly taking the center of the
    >straight-through lane, to avoid being pinched between two lanes of
    >traffic. Only stay to the extreme right here if the lane is easily wide
    >enough to accomodate you, the straight-ahead traffic on your left, and
    >the turning traffic on your right all at the same time. Any doubt about
    >that, and you own the straight-ahead lane. Take it.

    yes I figured we weren't talking about the same thing necessarily.

    the mad "biker" rant was what I was getting very ornery about. he was
    pretty vague about what happened and implied none of it was his fault
    but P.O.ed in my opinion for not enough good reason. meanwhile if I
    saw a guy on any kind of two-wheeled vehicle about to make a very bad
    mistake or run into me, I would have tried some elusive measures which
    it sounds he had no desire to do. I still want to know how motorcycles
    can't share a lane (also implied in the rant).

    taking the straight lane is good advice, and I assure you I do. I try
    to stay away from right turn lanes unless I'm going that way, avoid
    swinging wide, and use hand signals to boot. how do you feel about left
    turn lanes?

    > My assessment of your riding abilities stands. Hope you learn the easy
    > way and not the hard way.

    you might think I'm some 17 year old kid who just got a shiny new bmx
    for Christmas and is asking for trouble, but I assure you I am not :)
    there are obvious dangers to passing on the left as well as passing on
    the right. I'm just glad I'm not a full time roadie, I couldnt deal
    with that stuff all the time.

    at any rate, no skin off my nose. have fun riding...

    b.

    --

    * enjoying the karma *
    remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

  17. bri719

    bri719 Guest

    ewww :)

    I missed that part....sounds downright frightening.

    b.

    --

  18. Carla A-G wrote:
    > I found this post today in alt.motocycle.sportbike. Why are people
    > such assholes?

    I wouldn't say he's an asshole... His attitude is hardly of a malicious
    intent. I think it's more of a tongue-in-cheek attitude. I've been lurking
    in AMS for 4 years and these are generally affable people, Graham included.

    Plus, let's be honest. The cyclist was completely retarded for attempting
    to swing around traffic on the right. I did that once when I was younger,
    and since I'll never ever ride through intersections in the bike lane. I'll
    stop in the bike lane if the light's still red, but 1/2 of drivers don't put
    on their turn signal, and 0.5% actually look back to check for oncoming
    cyclists.

    I'm glad that cyclist got the ticket.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  19. JD

    JD Guest

    "TBF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> The "sort of" qualifier is added because I can't imagine a public road
    > >> so narrow that there's not room for a bicycle and motorcycle to pass
    > >> side by side without "squeezing" (speaks volumes of the lack of
    > >> piloting skills of the motorcyclist).

    > > Most of these crotch-rocket kids have no idea how to ride. We scrape
    > > them up off of the pavement from time to time here. At least the
    > > Harley poseurs are drunk when we scrape them up. Any good
    > > motorcyclist is good at predicting an idiot move and avoiding a crash
    > > by doing so.
    > >
    > > That said, it sounds like the bicyclist was in the wrong, even if the
    > > motorcyclist was a lamer, or creep. If one is scofflaw type
    > > commuter/road bicyclist, they must be willing to accept responsibility
    > > for their misdeeds when they go awry.
    > >
    > > JD

    > Oh now your a motorcycle expert ?

    Show me where I said I was an expert. I've been riding motorcycles on
    the street since 1982. Where were you in 1982?

    > I have two "crotch rockets" and

    What for? Do you ride both of them at the same time?

    > I can tell
    > you statistically that most motorcyclists I know would laugh at you for that
    > first statement.

    Of course you must know all of the great motorcyclists of our time.
    Why don't you drop some names so we can all be unimpressed (as usual).
    Then again, why don't you back up your claims with some actual facts
    and not the opinions of your oh so many friends? Your baseless
    assumptions are just as funny in the motorcycle realm. How do you
    function from day to day?

    > Stick to AMB buddy.

    I intend to.

    > A stupid rider on a motorcycle is just that, stupid. It has nothing to do
    > with age or skill.

    Thanks for confirming just how ignorant you really are. A less
    skilled or less experienced motorcyclist motorcyclist is far more apt
    to dump their bike, or get plowed by a full-sized vehicle. What
    planet are you from again?

    JD

  20. TBF

    TBF Guest

    > Thanks for confirming just how ignorant you really are. A less
    > skilled or less experienced motorcyclist motorcyclist is far more apt
    > to dump their bike, or get plowed by a full-sized vehicle. What
    > planet are you from again?
    >
    > JD

    Do you need a hug JD? the milk and cookies offer is still on the table