2 x 20's with a vo2max twist?

Ade Merckx

Jan 26, 2007
how are those turbo workouts going dudes? No matter what version of theshold workouts I do ( 3 x20, 2 x 30 3 x 15') i eventually always come back to good old simple 2 x 20. Lately I've been ending each 20min segment with a 4 minute VO2max effort. Anyone care to share their variation on the old favourite or indeed others?

I do like this too sometimes, at least when I'm getting better. But then I usually reset my traininglevels.

2x20's SST/L4 were always my main workouts. My favorite was added not long ago, every Sunday 1x120 @ high L3 ~90%.

Ade Merckx said:
how are those turbo workouts going dudes?
Imagine the pain when I realized I was excluded from the thread on the very first sentence. I may never get over it...:p

Ade Merckx said:
Lately I've been ending each 20min segment with a 4 minute VO2max effort. Anyone care to share their variation on the old favourite or indeed others?

Favorite variation? Hour of Power-type workouts - hands down, then followed by over/under type sessions. Really they are the same thing and address two key issues I think pertain to indoor trainer sessions: a) can you say boredom? and b) specificity of real-world outside riding which is much more variable and stochastic.

As far as targeting adaptations, I pretty much keep it simple and use specific intervals for each level, e.g., L6 for improving 1 MMP, L5 intervals for improving 5MMP, and L4 for FTP as opposed to mixing/matching. Some people try to combine them in the very same interval and that can make for some very intriguing workouts (if they work) or a lot of head scratching & extra effort (if they don't work).

Although hammering away at the end of a 20 (or 60) minute L4 interval can give you a sense of how much you had left in the tank and give you a nice endorphin rush to end the session on a high note. ;)

frenchyge said:
+1. The joy is gone until the sun comes back to the midwest. :(
Sure, but in KC, you're supposed to have a long, cold and snowy winter. This season, we're not even getting decent riding weather in AL. Went out yesterday for the first time in 10 days....figured 35* and hazy sun was about as good as we'll get. Today, it's back to snow snowers, gray sky and 35* again.

I'm getting so bored riding the trainer at the Y I've even resorted to a structured weekly training plan......for me, that's desperate :)

dhk2 said:
35* and hazy sun

Oh sure..... rub it in. :p

I've been looking for every opportunity to compromise my comfort standards this year, but we can't even get rid of the dang snow and slush along the sides of the road. :mad:

frenchyge said:
+1. The joy is gone until the sun comes back to the midwest. :(

Funny how that whole notion of joy can be so relative.

Obviously there's something in the water, namely mine. I'm going on months now of at least 4-5 sessions indoors/week and am savoring it. Outdoor riding has been limited to the semi-regular group ride, easy recovery rides and the like. I could ride outdoors more often but it would be consummately less enjoyable.

I'd go so far as to say I prefer the trainer. It is infinitely convenient, efficient, and comfortable. Saves me so much time and energy, not to mention having to deal with the elements....*shudder*

I'll have to do more outdoor riding as the season wears on but it may be grudgingly so.:D

The two things I miss most about outdoor riding: the track & sprinting, ideally both at once!

gman0482 said:
2x20's SST/L4 were always my main workouts. My favorite was added not long ago, every Sunday 1x120 @ high L3 ~90%.

With is snowing in the ATL I am thinking the same for tomorrow 1x120 @ L3

frenchyge said:
I've been looking for every opportunity to compromise my comfort standards this year, but we can't even get rid of the dang snow and slush along the sides of the road. :mad:
Having just moved east from CA, I was surprised to find that the problem isn't so much the cold as it is the ice/slush/sand/salt, which makes riding dangerous at worst and extremely unpleasant at best. Nevertheless, we had 35 and sunny today so I did a 2x20 outside instead of on the trainer. :D

Ade Merckx said:
how are those turbo workouts going dudes? No matter what version of theshold workouts I do ( 3 x20, 2 x 30 3 x 15') i eventually always come back to good old simple 2 x 20. Lately I've been ending each 20min segment with a 4 minute VO2max effort. Anyone care to share their variation on the old favourite or indeed others?

I just started doing the same thing. Did it for the first time Thursday and I'm happy to report that today (Sat) I could still feel it in my legs. That tells me it's working and that I need to do them. Throughout the winter I've been doing 2x20s or some variation and thought that with the season about to begin it w/b good to get in some L5 work. I did 25 minutes, 20 min, 15 min and finished each w/3 min at L5. I wish now I had started this a month ago. It's no fun though. L5 is a *****!