20" 406 tires?? My answer, for what it's worth

• Thread starter Richard Rodgers
  • Start date

R

Richard Rodgers

O.K. folks: This is where I have ended up (as compared to down). Once again thanks to all of you
that responded to my questions. I understand that many of you have answered these "dumb"
questions many times, but as a rather newbie to recumbents ( over 40 years of DF!) thanks for
putting up with me. I have decided to go with the Schwalbe Marathon slick 20x1.35 tire for the
early Spring-while the roads a rather hard and messy, and then switch over to a bit narrower
tire- Schwalbe Stelvio 20x1 1/8 tire for the later Spring and then go to a Continental Grand
Prix 20x1 1/8 tire for the main midwest riding season. On the rear 700c wheel, I have a
collection of left overs from my DF life- Turbo 700x20, Specialized 700x23, IRC 770x23, etc.
While I am not certain that these are still manufactured, I have a collection of several (from
the 80's if you can believe!!) all stored in cool conditions and usable Tires now seem to be
under control- now on to the "correct" cassette and gearing that will enable me to climb
mountains as a siver flash. Thanks again for your help, Richard Rodgers [email protected]

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Tires now seem to be under control- now on to the "correct" cassette and gearing that will enable
> me to climb mountains as a siver flash.

I don't know which mountains you intend to climb with your P-38, But I have spent a great deal of
thought finding the best gearing that will serve me well here in the flatlands of the Texas Gulf
Coast and still allow me to attempt an occasional Mountains of Misery Century in Virginia. I settled
on a Wide range Shimano XTR rear derailleur and a SRAM PowerGlide II 11-34T cassette. With 52-42-26T
chainrings in the front, I'm ready for the mountains even when my P-38 is loaded with touring gear.

--
Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

You will only get as strong as your lowest gear, but you know that.
:)

"Richard Rodgers" <[email protected]> wrote in message snip
> Tires now seem to be under control- now on to the "correct" cassette and gearing that will enable
> me to climb mountains as a siver flash. Thanks again for your help, Richard Rodgers [email protected]
>

Cletus, if you really want to spread out your gearing on your p-38 (though it is pricy) replace your
bottom bracket assembly with a (new)Schlumpf High Speed Drive. My bent came equiped with the older
speed drive and the ratio goes from a 36 to a 66 tooth with a 4 gear overlap. The High Speed goes
from a 27 tooth to a 67 tooth . Talk about mountain climbing ability with a 11-34 tooth cog!!

MH

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> You will only get as strong as your lowest gear, but you know that.
> :)

If your gears aren't low enough and you don't learn to spin up the hills, you'll blow out your
knees, but then you should know that :)
--
Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

> > You will only get as strong as your lowest gear, but you know that.
> > :)

joke?

> If your gears aren't low enough and <snip> you'll blow out your knees,

TRUE! I wuz about to say that. Without low gears I wouldn't be riding at all. I spent my entire 1st
year trying not to torque-on, so my knees could get acclimated (if that is even possible). Perhaps I
am the only one with ticky-tacky knees and old injuries though. I have had to lay off riding for a
month or more at a time. I am now bouncing back from one episode of that sort. If your knees work,
treasure them, cuz cycling is too good to hafta stop.

I did a comfortable 30 miles yesterday w/o knee pain which is good for me. I was feeling stronger
when I got home than when I left, I was wishing I had anther 30 to go.

> you don't learn to spin up the hills,

Now, there is a whole world of meaning in here, and maybe more than one season's worth of learning!
I mean here, learn = conditioning, building endurance, building the heart, lungs and muscles as well
as actually spinning instead of trudging.

Richard Rodgers wrote:
> I have decided to go with the Schwalbe Marathon slick 20x1.35 tire for the early Spring-while the
> roads a rather hard and messy, and then switch over to a bit narrower tire- Schwalbe Stelvio 20x1
> 1/8 tire for the later Spring and then go to a Continental Grand Prix 20x1 1/8 tire for the main
> midwest riding season.

I wouldn't bother with the latter swap. The Stelvio is at least as durable (or fragile) as the GP
and has lower rolling resistance.

--

Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
===========================================================