20" 406 tires??

• Thread starter Richard Rodgers
  • Start date

R

Richard Rodgers

Would someone please tell me who manufactures a City Jet 32-406 tire? Also, forgive me as this has
probably been beaten to death, what are your recomendations for a 20"/406 tire on a P-38? Roads are
usually what we call in the midwest, chip and seal. Not too rough; but again not too smooth. Thanks,
Richard Rodgers [email protected]

"Richard Rodgers" skrev...
> Would someone please tell me who manufactures a City Jet 32-406 tire? Also, forgive me as this has
> probably been beaten to death, what are your recomendations for a 20"/406 tire on a P-38? Roads
> are usually what we call in the midwest, chip and seal. Not too rough; but again not too smooth.

Schwalbe? http://www.schwalbe.com/ (can't find them in 406 on the Schwalbe site tho)

http://mnhpva.org/tires/406.html

I like Vredestein S-Licks. Cushy yet fast and handles gravel okay at lower speeds. Sucks in ice or
sleet tho.

Cheers Mikael

These tyres were manafactured by Schwalbe, I used them successfully on a Hurricane and Trice. However I now believe thay are no longer manafactured.

Try the Schwalbe City Marathon as an alternative. I now run a Street MAchine and use The City Marathons in Winterr and for "railway path" touring, and the previously reccomended Veredestien S'licks for summer road work.

Have fun whatever your rubber preference!

QUOTE]Originally posted by Richard Rodgers
Would someone please tell me who manufactures a City Jet 32-406 tire? Also, forgive me as this has
probably been beaten to death, what are your recomendations for a 20"/406 tire on a P-38? Roads are
usually what we call in the midwest, chip and seal. Not too rough; but again not too smooth. Thanks,
[/QUOTE]

>what are your recomendations for a 20"/406 tire on a P-38?>>

Tioga Comp Pool. Its 1.75" width allows it to roll over anything. And it's fast. But it won't fit on
the front of your P-38 unless you have the standard fork.

Norm

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Would someone please tell me who manufactures a City Jet 32-406 tire? Also, forgive me as this has
> probably been beaten to death, what are your recomendations for a 20"/406 tire on a P-38? Roads
> are usually what we call in the midwest, chip and seal. Not too rough; but again not too smooth.
> Thanks, Richard Rodgers [email protected]
>

The City Jet is made by Schwalbe but only in a 16"/305 size.

The Vredestein S-Lick is apparently no longer being imported into the US, but that would be my first
tire of choice.

Schwalbe makes great touring tires and I have used the Marathon(32-406 20 x 1.25) on my P-38 Only a
wider (40-406 20 x 1.50) is now available. I would suggest with confidence though I have not used
them, that the Marathon Slick would be very suitable for your/my chip seal roads. It is available in
35-406 (20 x 1.35) and should be a suitable replacement for the S-Lock or the 32-406 Marathons.

--

Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

Richard Rodgers wrote:

> Thanks, Richard Rodgers [email protected]

The 47-406 Avocet Fasgrip Freestyle is a high quality low rolling resistance slick with decent wet
weather traction and puncture resistance. It is one the better tires for hard cornering on dry
pavement. I have ridden several thousand miles over Midwest "chip seal" on a RANS Rocket with these
tires, and they were a significant improvement over the stock 37-406 Primo Comets in these
conditions.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. Was hoping to find something in the
32/406 range. No one suggested Continental tires. Is there something that I should be aware of in
selecting a Continental tire? Richard Rodgers [email protected]

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. Was hoping to find something in the
> 32/406 range. No one suggested Continental tires. Is there something that I should be aware of in
> selecting a Continental tire? Richard Rodgers [email protected]

Continental GPs are a fine high pressure tire but are available only in narrow widths (25/28?mm) and
IMO unsuitable for frequent use on your/my chip seal roads.

The Continental TopTouring 2000 is also a fine bulletproof tire with a tread similar to the Schwalbe
Marathons. It's major drawback is the carcass weight and this makes it a real slug. Something that
you do not want to burden your P-28 with.

I run either Continental GPs or Schwalbe Stelvios on my P-38. They are perhaps the fastest tires I
run on the bike. If you find the chip seal roads uncomfortable on a 25-28mm tire, then neither of
these are recommended. Almost as fast for me have been the 34mm (1.3") Vredestein S-Slicks.
--

Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

The availability of tyres and other cycle equipment in a single country or area is no longer relevant. Providing you are fairly sensible there are a number of websites that can offer products that are "unavailable" in your own area. In the UK there are a number of sites which offer S'licks, and tyres available in recumbent friendly sizes (Try www.bikefix.co.uk, www.www.kinetics-online.co.uk, www.settlecycles.co.uk, or www.sjscycles.com, www.gearshift.co.uk). Beware however of exchange rates and customs when ordering the vendor may be able to advise on these.

I have ordered many items from the US, often finding that "blowout" sales compensate for the other costs. I recent;y bought some Primal Wear Tshirts at less than the UK price INCLUDING conversion and tax.

I repeat however, be adventurous, but beware of the hidden costs.

Best of luck

Originally posted by Richard Rodgers

Marathon slick is a very reliable tire. I have been riding a pair on my "winter wheels" and have
been very satisfied. They seem to accept 100 psi well also. Lon HepCat Sacramento

Cletus Lee wrote:
>
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> > Would someone please tell me who manufactures a City Jet 32-406 tire? Also, forgive me as this
> > has probably been beaten to death, what are your recomendations for a 20"/406 tire on a P-38?
> > Roads are usually what we call in the midwest, chip and seal. Not too rough; but again not too
> > smooth. Thanks, Richard Rodgers [email protected]
> >
>
> The City Jet is made by Schwalbe but only in a 16"/305 size.
>
> The Vredestein S-Lick is apparently no longer being imported into the US, but that would be my
> first tire of choice.
>
> Schwalbe makes great touring tires and I have used the Marathon(32-406 20 x 1.25) on my P-38 Only
> a wider (40-406 20 x 1.50) is now available. I would suggest with confidence though I have not
> used them, that the Marathon Slick would be very suitable for your/my chip seal roads. It is
> available in 35-406 (20 x 1.35) and should be a suitable replacement for the S-Lock or the 32-406
> Marathons.
>
> --
>
> Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
> - Bellaire, TX USA -

(Richard Rodgers) wrote in message
> 32/406 range. No one suggested Continental tires. Is there something that I should be aware of in
> selecting a Continental tire?

FWIW, the last time I visited the Gaerlan site (gaerlan.com) I was struck by his wide selection of
406 tires. I don't recall ever having seen Continentals in 406/32 but he lists things I've never
seen anywhere else.

Steve Baker Windcheetah K628

[email protected] (Richard Rodgers) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> selecting a Continental tire? Richard Rodgers [email protected]

Continental doesn't make an ETRTO 32-406 tire. The closest is a Top Touring 2000 ETRTO 37-406- a
little wider and *might* not fit your Lightning's fork. Here's the Continental listing: http://www.conti-
online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/tires/city/toptouring_2000/toptouring_20-
00_en.html

If you want to go narrower, you could use a Continental Grand Prix 28-406: http://www.conti-
online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/tires/race/grand_prix/grand_prix_en.html

(The URL's may need reassembly.)

I've had excellent experiences with Continental tires- right now I have a Top Touring 32-622 tire on
the rear of my Tour Easy. They're about the only tires I actually wear out as opposed to destroying
with cuts and casing bruises.

I think a Top Touring would be an excellent choice for you, given your chipseal roads and relatively
high load on the Lightning's front wheel. Pump it up to 90 or 100 psi and it'll roll out great.

Jeff

Richard
When I went looking for a good high pressure 20" tire, I happened on an excellent BMX tire called the Maxxis Hookworm. It is a 1.95" tire, and just barely fits in the chain stays of my Quetzal, ( I have to keep the wheel absolutely true) . It is a phenomenally good tire in every respect. Prior to installing it, I had never seen one on a recumbent, but I have since seen several. It is also now available in 16x1.95, so I now have one on the front wheel, and one on my Bob trailer. It has very low rolling resistance and is excellent on gravel or soft surfaces.
It is a slick tread with a hookworm design which I have found to be good in the wet. It is also the quietest tire I have ever used.
Dan Burkhart
Oakville Ont

On 05 Feb 2004 20:01:55 GMT, [email protected] (Richard Rodgers) wrote in
message <[email protected]>:

>Would someone please tell me who manufactures a City Jet 32-406 tire?

The same people who make all City Jet tyres - Schwalbe.

I use Stelvios. They are good and fast but somewhat puncture prone. I used to use Vredestein
s'licks, which were OK but dragged like sand anchors.

Guy
===
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Cletus Lee wrote:

> Continental GPs are a fine high pressure tire but are available only in narrow widths (25/28?mm)
> and IMO unsuitable for frequent use on your/my chip seal roads.

Either the 47-406 Avocet Fasgrip Freestyle [1] or the 47-406 Mitsuboshi Tioga Comp Pool [2] will
provide comparable rolling resistance [3] to the 28-406 Continental Gran Prix, but will provided
much greater ride comfort on "chip seal" roads and better control in the inevitable accumulations of
loose aggregate at intersections. The sidewalls of the Continental Gran Prix are also much more
easily damaged by sharp aggregate particles.

[1] These will fit on a P-38 with the standard fork (assuming the P-38 has an ISO 406-mm
front wheel).
[2] Some reports indicate that there have been quality problems since production of these tires was
moved from Japan.
[3] At a higher weight and aerodynamic drag.

Dan Burkhart wrote:

> Richard When I went looking for a good high pressure 20" tire, I happened on an excellent BMX tire
> called the Maxxis Hookworm. It is a
> 1.95" tire, and just barely fits in the chain stays of my Quetzal, ( I have to keep the wheel
> absolutely true) . It is a phenomenally good tire in every respect. Prior to installing it, I
> had never seen one on a recumbent, but I have since seen several. It is also now available in
> 16x1.95, so I now have one on the front wheel, and one on my Bob trailer. It has very low
> rolling resistance and is excellent on gravel or soft surfaces. It is a slick tread with a
> hookworm design which I have found to be good in the wet. It is also the quietest tire I have
> ever used. Dan Burkhart Oakville Ont

I have ISO 53-406 Maxxis Hookworm tires on my Dragonflyer [1], and they resemble small motorcycle
tires in weight and appearance. So far they appear to be quite damage resistant, and I believe that
they would be a good choice for touring or commuting. However, I suspect that clearance will be an
issue on many single-track recumbents. [2]

[1] <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/Dragonflyer/df2.jpg>.
[2] They would not work on my 2000 RANS Rocket, since the chain would rub on the tire when using the
two largest sprockets.

Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Cletus Lee wrote:
>
> > Continental GPs are a fine high pressure tire but are available only in narrow widths (25/28?mm)
> > and IMO unsuitable for frequent use on your/my chip seal roads.
>
> Either the 47-406 Avocet Fasgrip Freestyle [1] or the 47-406 Mitsuboshi Tioga Comp Pool [2] will
> provide comparable rolling resistance [3] to the 28-406 Continental Gran Prix, but will provided
> much greater ride comfort on "chip seal" roads and better control in the inevitable accumulations
> of loose aggregate at intersections. The sidewalls of the Continental Gran Prix are also much more
> easily damaged by sharp aggregate particles.
>
> [1] These will fit on a P-38 with the standard fork (assuming the P-38 has an ISO 406-mm front
> wheel).
> [2] Some reports indicate that there have been quality problems since production of these tires
> was moved from Japan.
> [3] At a higher weight and aerodynamic drag.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

The new 20x1.95(53-406)belted Primo Comet may be another option. I originally got one for the front
of the Rocket, however it turns out to be about the same width/height as the Comp Pool (with a
different tread profile- 'U' vs 'V')so can also be used on the rear w/o rubbing the chain. It
appears that the tire size marked on tire sidewalls is only an approximation of true tire size. I'm
also curious about the new 20x2.0 Schwalbe Big Apple.

[email protected] (Steve Baker) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> (Richard Rodgers) wrote in message
> > Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. Was hoping to find something in the
> > 32/406 range. No one suggested Continental tires. Is there something that I should be aware of
> > in selecting a Continental tire?
>
> FWIW, the last time I visited the Gaerlan site (gaerlan.com) I was struck by his wide selection of
> 406 tires. I don't recall ever having seen Continentals in 406/32 but he lists things I've never
> seen anywhere else.
>
> Steve Baker

Another reference for "what's available in 20-inch tires" is the Bike Friday catalog:
http://www.greengear.com/ . I counted 25 different 20" tires (both 406 and 451) listed.

Jeff