20" Fenders?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by 98gtw, Apr 24, 2003.

  1. 98gtw

    98gtw Guest

    I'm looking for a fender set for a 20/20 SWB. I'm running 20x1-1/8 tires
    (451) and would prefer to fit narrower rather than wider fenders, mostly to keep the lines lighter.
    The Planet Bike sets look good, but are a little wider than what I'd like and are also out of
    stock, according to Planet Bike's site.

    Any other alternatives or other sources for the Planet Bike parts?

    --
    Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) Presto, Presto II, Screamer

    Tags:

  2. bentcruiser

    bentcruiser New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    What are you riding?

    Manufacturers sometimes have fender sets available.

    Derek

  3. Jfreewheel

    Jfreewheel Guest

    If you're pretty handy, you can use clip on plastic fenders meant for the bigger wheeled bike. We
    use the 26" sets all the time for 20" and 16". Did one for a 16" folder a week back. Had to snip the
    front, then put them in an oven just till they were pliable then let them cool to the correct
    profile. For 451 tires, you can use the 700cc version probably

    Hope this helps

    J Gaerlan - Gaerlan Custom Cycles http://www.gaerlan.com "home of travel bikes and bike travels"
    (415)362-3866: (415)677-8943 fax [email protected]

  4. 98gtw

    98gtw Guest

  5. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    98GTW wrote:

    > Long-defunct Counterpoint Presto. Nice idea, but no hope there.

    Counterpoint may be defunct, but the Presto lives on as the Pashley PDQ.
    [1]

    I have seen a Presto with a front fender/fairing (appeared to be original equipment) that resembled
    the "wheel pants" fairings commonly used on fixed gear aircraft.

    [2] < http://www.pashley.co.uk/pashley/products/pages/pdq_page.htm >

  6. bentcruiser

    bentcruiser New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    Does it look like this?:
    http://www.ihpva.org/people/ianf/bm92/Presto/

    I'll bet the Hostel Shoppe or Calhoun Cycle could get something to work.

    Derek

  7. 98gtw

    98gtw Guest

    bentcruiser <[email protected]> wrote in news:3ea93177_1 @news.chariot.net.au:
    > Does it look like this?: http://www.ihpva.org/people/ianf/bm92/Presto/h-
    > ttp://www.ihpva.org/people/ianf/bm92/Presto/
    >
    > I'll bet the Hostel Shoppe or Calhoun Cycle could get something to work.
    >
    > Derek

    Yeah, that's it. No idea where I might find that original front fender/wheel fairing. And I'm not
    sure it's what I'm looking for in any case. Thanks for the thought, though.

    Hostel Shoppe is carrying the Rans fenders, pricey at $50 the set vs. the Planet bike at $30.
    Unfortunately they're out of stock for another month.

    --
    Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) Presto, Presto II, Screamer