20 inch rolling resistance test

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Mikael Seierup, Jun 3, 2003.

  1. Tags:

  2. So like the greater pressure you have for the tire, the less rolling resistance you have...hmmm
    maybe forget the tire and use a stainless steel tube around the rim and you should go like a rocket.
    I just went from a 65
    psi semi-slick Kenda to a 90 psi Avocet Cross and there was quite a noticeable improvement. Met a
    chap last nite on a Mtb who thought I was nuts for using Slick tires. I pointed out that since I
    do not ride on gravel, over logs, jump curbs or grind my wheels through rocks...why the hell would
    I or anyone need 2.225 Knobbies for city riding. He tried my bent and was in love with the slicks.
    Am converting them one by one. "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/frameset.html?news_rolling_resistance
    >
    > Dunno if this is new but they made some tests.
    >
    > M.

  3. It is interesting, but unfortunately they chose to test the "fat" Primo Comet (20 x 1.75") rather
    than the regular size (20 x 1 3/8").

    Greenspeed's testing showed the primacy of the Stelvios as well, but also showed that the normal
    Primo was faster than the Comp Pool. Sorry, but I've misplaced the URL.

    Cork

    "Mikael Seierup" wrote:
    > http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/frameset.html?news_rolling_resistance
    >
    > Dunno if this is new but they made some tests.
    >
    > M.

  4. Yesterday I rode a Giro with KWESTS and then Primo Comet/Racer Combo. The Primo's were faster,
    accelerated better and even at 110 psi were less harsh than the Kwests. On a 20/20 I imagine I'd
    feel the same. I think the Comets are a good fast tire for good roads. I would prefer a sturdier
    CompPool or Quest for more crappy road conditions. For 20"... speed... the Stevelo is the winner in
    my experience.

    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Kelly & Cork Van Den Handel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It is interesting, but unfortunately they chose to test the "fat" Primo Comet (20 x 1.75") rather
    > than the regular size (20 x 1 3/8").
    >
    > Greenspeed's testing showed the primacy of the Stelvios as well, but also showed that the normal
    > Primo was faster than the Comp Pool. Sorry, but
    I've
    > misplaced the URL.
    >
    > Cork
    >

    > "Mikael Seierup" wrote:
    > > http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/frameset.html?news_rolling_resistance
    > >
    > > Dunno if this is new but they made some tests.
    > >
    > > M.

  5. >I think the Comets are a good fast tire for good roads. I would
    prefer a sturdier CompPool or Quest for more crappy road conditions.

    Jude,

    Do you think the Comp Pools are more "bulletproof" than the Primo Kevlars?

    Thanks -- DP

  6. Dennis, Good question. I have sold some of the K Comets but never used them. I'm still a fan of the
    Comp Pool as a good durable tire. I ran them on my Rocket for a year and never had a flat, but then
    again I have not seen a flat on my 23mm tires in a year either? When I was a youngin' 1962/65 I rode
    a 3 speed with. standard 26 X 1 3/8 tires. During the summer I often would ride from the Whitestone
    Bridge to Long Island City, took the subway to Manhattan to have lunch with my Dad. Left the bike at
    my Aunts in LIC. Don't remember any flats. Guess I'm lucky, not flat prone or something. I had a 75
    paper route (World Telegram and Sun) can only remember calling home one time cause of a flat. So I'm
    not the best person to ask.
    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Dennis Pedrick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >I think the Comets are a good fast tire for good roads. I would
    > prefer a sturdier CompPool or Quest for more crappy road conditions.
    >
    > Jude,
    >
    > Do you think the Comp Pools are more "bulletproof" than the Primo Kevlars?
    >
    > Thanks -- DP

  7. The ICE folks report interesting findings. The specific results are most likely not specifically
    applicable to most recumbents as the test vehicle is a 100 kilo 4 wheeled thingamabob. General
    findings are generally accepted in the wide bicycling community. Maybe the best part is that Cook'n
    Bacon (the authors) use reproducible test methodology, not often the case when testing tires.

    There is not much question that tires roll faster when inflated more ... until that magic point when
    they go BLAM!!! And then they roll very slow indeed. Note the BLAM point is more easily reached in
    the summer when hot asphalt excites the molecules, so beware of inflating those Comets or Comp Pools
    to 120 psi.

    Jude and others are right - real world experience and preferences trump test lab data every time. It
    is my (limited) experience that front and rear tires need to be considered together in terms of
    profile, cornering and other ride characteristics. Maybe there is something to be said for using the
    same model front and rear, or maybe for aftermarket afficionados, mixing and matching is more fun.
    I've stumbled onto a Comp Pool front and an S Lick rear combo that is comfy, seems quick and I
    mostly like the way the bike handles. But the S lick would never be my tire of choice for an inner
    city commute - that would be a 1.5 Avocet Cross K.

    As always - horses for courses. Who said that?

    Jon Shinefeld Philadelphia, PA VRex and Stumpy "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/frameset.html?news_rolling_resistance
    >
    > Dunno if this is new but they made some tests.
    >
    > M.

  8. <Chas>

    <Chas> Guest

    Purely anecdotal evidence follows:

    When I got my Haluzak Hybrid Race (451 front wheel) it had an IRC RoadliteEX front tire. When it
    developed a sidewall bulge, I replaced it with the same tire (3000 miles). A recent encounter with a
    curb caused the tread to become separated from the casing and required a replacement. When my LBS
    couldn't get a IRC RoadLite replacement, I had them get me a Schwalbe Stelvio. I rode about 2-300
    miles on a Primo Comet in the meantime.

    I'm hoping the Stelvio is more p*nct*r* resistant since it's Kevlar belted, but frankly the IRC
    didn't have a big problem in this area.

    On my twice a week 22-mile each way commute, my average speed is ~2 MPH faster with the Stelvio than
    with the Comet, and just about the same as the IRC was. My "riding time" is typically about an hour
    and 15 to 17 minutes. On the Comet it was an hour and 20 to 22 minutes.

    Based on this experience, I'd say that the IRC RoadLite and the Schwalbe Stelvio are about
    equivalent in rolling resistance, and I'm hoping the Schwalbe gives better tire life and p*nct*r*
    resistance.

    As usual YMMV

    <Chas> Haluzak Hybrid Race -- the inline wheelchair

  9. Jude,

    You might remember my analysis last fall of the Lafford and Sims data. In it, we found that Comp
    Pools, Primo Comet Kevlars, and Schwalbe Stelvios had significantly lower rolling resistance than
    the other 406 tires tested. (BTW, Lafford's new test data of the "yet to be re-stocked" AirFree Open
    Road tires would put them in this class as well)

    Here's the issue...We've got fairly large cracks in the roads around here. Going wider gives me less
    problems with the cracks, but that doesn't negate the "junk on the road" issue. I'm therefore torn
    between the 47-406 Comp Pools, and the slightly narrower (15%), but Kevlar 40-406 Comets. To add to
    the confusion, the new AirFree tires would be puncture-proof, and have a faster rebound (i.e.,
    should be a little faster uphill), but they are even narrower at 37-406.

    I'm currently running Vittoria Ariel's (50-406) with thornproof tires (real thin tires), which has
    been great on the cracks, but really seems to slow me down (primarily because of the heavy tubes).

    Hence my original question. If the Comp Pools are as "puncture-proof" as the Kevlar Comets, you go
    with the Comp Pools (gives you an inflated, wider tire). If they're not (never having owned them, I
    don't know), I'm confused. Wider tire, but potentially more flats...Maybe its a toss-up....

    Thanks for letting me conceptualize...DP

  10. Dennis,

    Yup, However, if you look at an inflated Comp Pool you will see that the design brings the tire
    to a point and the thickest part of the tire is at the point...thus a fat tire with a smaller
    contact patch. At an average price of $20 bucks each they are worth a try. I like them in most
    applications. Always keeping them inflated to100 psi is important. I keep my rental bikes tires
    rated at 65 psi at 65 psi and have had one flat so far this year. Five all of last year. Just
    regular tires with regular tubes. I see my competitions renters pushing bikes with flats often.
    I think he puts air in the tires once a season.
    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Dennis Pedrick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Jude,
    >
    > You might remember my analysis last fall of the Lafford and Sims data. In it, we found that Comp
    > Pools, Primo Comet Kevlars, and Schwalbe Stelvios had significantly lower rolling resistance than
    > the other 406 tires tested. (BTW, Lafford's new test data of the "yet to be re-stocked" AirFree
    > Open Road tires would put them in this class as well)
    >
    > Here's the issue...We've got fairly large cracks in the roads around here. Going wider gives me
    > less problems with the cracks, but that doesn't negate the "junk on the road" issue. I'm therefore
    > torn between the 47-406 Comp Pools, and the slightly narrower (15%), but Kevlar 40-406 Comets. To
    > add to the confusion, the new AirFree tires would be puncture-proof, and have a faster rebound
    > (i.e., should be a little faster uphill), but they are even narrower at 37-406.
    >
    > I'm currently running Vittoria Ariel's (50-406) with thornproof tires (real thin tires), which has
    > been great on the cracks, but really seems to slow me down (primarily because of the heavy tubes).
    >
    > Hence my original question. If the Comp Pools are as "puncture-proof" as the Kevlar Comets, you go
    > with the Comp Pools (gives you an inflated, wider tire). If they're not (never having owned them,
    > I don't know), I'm confused. Wider tire, but potentially more flats...Maybe its a toss-up....
    >
    > Thanks for letting me conceptualize...DP

  11. Edward Wong

    Edward Wong Guest

    > As always - horses for courses. Who said that?

    I've used that phrase many a times in this NG;-)

    Edward Wong Orlando, FL

  12. Joe Sozanski

    Joe Sozanski Guest

    I've put on over 11000 miles on the Wishbone ucing Comp Pools and have had 2 flats. One somebody
    lost a walkman and it was smashed. I missed all the plastic but hit the 90 deg 1/8" plug at about 24
    mph. The worst part was the wire whipped up hit the chain and tangled aroung the idler pulley. The
    second I hit the remains of a road flare the type that use a nailto anchor it. There had been a
    serious accident there eary that morning and there were several places. because of traffic I
    couldn't quite get around all of them. I think either would have punctured a kevlar belt tire. Joe
    Wishbone #56 Elmira NY

    news:<[email protected]>...