20 mile race, how many miles/week training?

stormer94

May 19, 2004
If I'm going to race in a 20 mile mass start road race, how many miles a week should a person be putting in?

Granted it's an open ended question. Assume I am training adequately, am I wrong to be putting in 30 and 40 mile rides if I only need to survive 20?

Right now, I'm putting in about 120-150 miles a week. Training on hills, on flats, High cadence, low, etc. Trying to work on all things.

stormer94 said:
If I'm going to race in a 20 mile mass start road race, how many miles a week should a person be putting in?

Granted it's an open ended question. Assume I am training adequately, am I wrong to be putting in 30 and 40 mile rides if I only need to survive 20?

Right now, I'm putting in about 120-150 miles a week. Training on hills, on flats, High cadence, low, etc. Trying to work on all things.
Is it a real race, or a fun ride/race? I've not heard of any races that short. Is it a USCF function?

That said, no reason NOT to train well in excess of the length of the race. 3, 4, 5 hour endurance efforts will all be useful. So will 3, 4, 5 min maximum efforts, I'm sure.

Aztec said:
Is it a real race, or a fun ride/race? I've not heard of any races that short. Is it a USCF function?

That said, no reason NOT to train well in excess of the length of the race. 3, 4, 5 hour endurance efforts will all be useful. So will 3, 4, 5 min maximum efforts, I'm sure.

i'm to far in the middle of nowhere to be invovled in USCF stuff.
:eek:

Just road races that various towns around us seem to do now and then. There is also some 40 mile stuff I see. I'd be lucky to do 5 races a summer based on what is available to me. Although I see there is a lot of racing on the west edge of our state, but that's a 16 hour drive round trip.

stormer94 said:
i'm to far in the middle of nowhere to be invovled in USCF stuff.
:eek:

Just road races that various towns around us seem to do now and then. There is also some 40 mile stuff I see. I'd be lucky to do 5 races a summer based on what is available to me. Although I see there is a lot of racing on the west edge of our state, but that's a 16 hour drive round trip.
Wow, and you guys get internet access up there!? Shocking!!!

I say ride a mix of 20, 30, and 50 mile rides for training. Make the 20s hard for about half of the distance (i.e., some kind of interval work), and then have the longer rides for moderate intensity to build endurance. Note: I am not a coach, nor qualified to be one.