20 Most Bike Friendly Cities

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Sunflogun, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Member

Tags:
    haleylx4 likes this.

2. JSWin

JSWin Member

Alright now this is interesting. I bet these cities are great to ride in. Notice that there are no cities from the US on this. I think I would enjoy Dublin, Paris, Buenos Aires, and Barcelona. Oh excuse me one US city, Minneapolis. I could see that

3. BikeBikeBikeBike

BikeBikeBikeBike Well-Known Member

I find both American and Canadian cities to be VERY car centric.
    But that is also part of the culture here, plus things are a lot more spread out making a car more useful in North American than in Europe. Final plus is fuel and cars are cheaper.

4. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Member

I think that in the US there are large distances to be covered and most people use a car. In many European cities that is not the case, so the bike is a good alternative.

5. Keyan

Keyan Member

I think these cities are quite romantic on the surface because of the interesting architecture plus a bike on the side will definitely add to the romance. I wish I could live in a city where people prefer to walk and or ride a bike

6. Susimi

Susimi Well-Known Member

Although Amsterdam is second, I'd still like to go there more than anywhere else. It looks a beautiful city and I'd just love to take an evening ride along the banks of one of the canals. Hopefully someday I will make that dream a reality.

7. DancingLady

DancingLady Member

Minneapolis? Wow, never been there, so I can't say if I agree or not. I'm surprised that a city that gets SO cold in the winter would be bike friendly because I would not have expected there to be a large enough die-hard cycling community in such a climate to warant making bike lanes and such a priority. My ballet teacher did say she used to bike everywhere when she was living there many years ago because she could not afford a car.

8. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Member

You can be right about the romance, at the same time I do see the practical side of riding the bike: healthy and economic, what else do we need? ;)

9. Lizel

Lizel Active Member

Good to know this, but there's not a single city in Poland that is listed here. :( I have been taking bike rides in Dublin.

10. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Member

Yep, it doesn't really matter does it, as long as we can pick our bike and ride we are fine. At least I am. :)

11. slack tidings

slack tidings Member

Thailand is a fine place. They train HARD!!!!
    [​IMG]

12. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

Over here, I could only speak of one city - Marikina City - that is a bike-friendly place. It is the only city with bicycle lanes which the former mayor - Marides Fernando - initiated to encourage the residents there in using the bike more often. However, some residents do not respect the bicycle lanes because they are using it as their private parking. I just don't know if the city is vigilant in protecting the bicycle lanes.