20 Most Bike Friendly Cities

Sunflogun

Apr 20, 2015
Wired article, really good!

The 20 Most Bike-Friendly Cities on the Planet

Index_nosmallcitynames_fixed-932x699.jpg

Reactions: haleylx4
Alright now this is interesting. I bet these cities are great to ride in. Notice that there are no cities from the US on this. I think I would enjoy Dublin, Paris, Buenos Aires, and Barcelona. Oh excuse me one US city, Minneapolis. I could see that

JSWin said:
Alright now this is interesting. I bet these cities are great to ride in. Notice that there are no cities from the US on this. I think I would enjoy Dublin, Paris, Buenos Aires, and Barcelona. Oh excuse me one US city, Minneapolis. I could see that
I find both American and Canadian cities to be VERY car centric.
But that is also part of the culture here, plus things are a lot more spread out making a car more useful in North American than in Europe. Final plus is fuel and cars are cheaper.

I think that in the US there are large distances to be covered and most people use a car. In many European cities that is not the case, so the bike is a good alternative.

I think these cities are quite romantic on the surface because of the interesting architecture plus a bike on the side will definitely add to the romance. I wish I could live in a city where people prefer to walk and or ride a bike

Although Amsterdam is second, I'd still like to go there more than anywhere else. It looks a beautiful city and I'd just love to take an evening ride along the banks of one of the canals. Hopefully someday I will make that dream a reality.

Minneapolis? Wow, never been there, so I can't say if I agree or not. I'm surprised that a city that gets SO cold in the winter would be bike friendly because I would not have expected there to be a large enough die-hard cycling community in such a climate to warant making bike lanes and such a priority. My ballet teacher did say she used to bike everywhere when she was living there many years ago because she could not afford a car.

Keyan said:
I think these cities are quite romantic on the surface because of the interesting architecture plus a bike on the side will definitely add to the romance. I wish I could live in a city where people prefer to walk and or ride a bike
You can be right about the romance, at the same time I do see the practical side of riding the bike: healthy and economic, what else do we need? ;)

Good to know this, but there's not a single city in Poland that is listed here. :( I have been taking bike rides in Dublin.

Yep, it doesn't really matter does it, as long as we can pick our bike and ride we are fine. At least I am. :)

Over here, I could only speak of one city - Marikina City - that is a bike-friendly place. It is the only city with bicycle lanes which the former mayor - Marides Fernando - initiated to encourage the residents there in using the bike more often. However, some residents do not respect the bicycle lanes because they are using it as their private parking. I just don't know if the city is vigilant in protecting the bicycle lanes.