20 stone, pin headed, no necked, 4x4 driving psychopath...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Howard, Feb 4, 2003.

  1. Howard

    Howard Guest

    A driver had admitted deliberately reversing his Range Rover over a four-year-old girl and her
    father in a road rage attack. Carl Baxter, 36, smashed into Emily Kerwin and her father, Stephen,
    who were on a bike and trailer, after Mr Kerwin remonstrated with him for driving too close to them,
    Hull Crown Court heard.

    Emily lost five teeth and suffered fractures to her face and palate, in the incident on the A1034 at
    Newbald, East Yorkshire.

    Stephen Kerwin, 52, suffered a broken leg and pelvis and still has a metal leg brace.

    He used the car as a weapon - this is what is commonly known as a road rage attack

    Simon Keely, prosecuting

    Baxter, a chemical engineer, of Shipton Road, Market Weighton, East Yorkshire, stopped his car and
    reversed 200 yards at high speed after Mr Kerwin shook his fist at him, the court was told.

    The trailer was crushed under the rear wheels of the vehicle and Emily was found by paramedics
    hanging upside down by the straps in her buggy.

    Baxter fled the scene, but later returned as police and ambulance services helped the father
    and daughter.

    Prosecuting, Simon Keely told the court: "He used the car as a weapon to cause injury. This is what
    is commonly known as a road rage attack."

    Baxter pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, two charges of causing grievous bodily harm, and one
    count of leaving the scene of an accident.

    Sentencing was adjourned pending a report from Humberside probation service.

    Speaking outside the court after the hearing, Baxter said he had not realised there was a child in
    the trailer.

    What's the betting, a 3 months suspended sentence and no driving ban?....

    Strikes me the charge should be attempted murder...

    Tags:

  2. Dave

    Dave Guest

    We're already covering this one, Howard, just a bit earlier, started by Paul - xxx, entitled 'Road
    rage attack on child...in cycle trailer..' ...and yes, we mostly agree with you, outrageous and hang
    'im high!! Dave.

  3. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Howard
    <[email protected]> writes
    >A driver had admitted deliberately reversing his Range Rover
    <snip>

    See the existing thread on this....

    >What's the betting, a 3 months suspended sentence and no driving ban?....

    I'd bet on a custodial sentence myself in this case.

    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  4. chris French wrote:
    > In message <[email protected]>, Howard
    > <[email protected]> writes
    >> A driver had admitted deliberately reversing his Range Rover
    > <snip>
    >
    > See the existing thread on this....
    >>
    >> What's the betting, a 3 months suspended sentence and no driving ban?....
    >>
    > I'd bet on a custodial sentence myself in this case.

    I too would expect a custodial sentence. This is in a Crown Court and the charges are not just RTA
    offences - he's down for two counts of GBH as well, although it should have been attempted murder.

    I would really, really like to see the Courts get much tougher on so-called 'road rage' attacks. I
    know we all want to see tougher penalties for 'accidents' in which death or serious injury is caused
    but road rage is something even worse, involving deliberate, callous and premeditated violence
    against person or property - with a weapon, where as in this case a vehicle is used as such. This
    kind of thing really cannot be tolerated by a civilised society and I hope the judgement in this
    case reflects that. A message needs to be sent and I hope the opportunity is taken.

    Rich