2000 Bianchi Veloce (new): What is the going price now? - Help

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bryan O. Fenste, Feb 23, 2003.

  1. All,

    My local bike shop has a 2000 Bianchi Veloce, which is brand new. The manager of the LBS found it at
    a Bianchi warehouse where it was just sitting, never ridden. The bike has the red/yellow paint job*
    which looks really beautiful and seems to be all original spec. as far as I can tell. It has the
    complete Campy Veloce component package with a Daytona front derailleur, Mavic CXP rims, Vittoria
    tires, Celeste colored Look 206 clipless pedals and the Bianchi Carbon fork.

    The owner wants $1099 for the bike (came down to that price from almost $1200, and he had it
    stickered at the original list price of $1449). He says that the paint job makes it more valuable
    than a normal celeste colored Bianchi, which I agree with him on (check link to pic at bottom of
    page). But the price still seems way high considering that the bike is a 2000 model and the 2003 are
    arriving in stores now. I've also seen the 2002 Veloce's selling on eBay for around $900 (and that's
    from other bike stores clearing out inventory, not private sellers), and some selling much cheaper
    than that.

    What would be a fair price for the bike? Any advice would be great... I want to buy the bike (I love
    the look of it), but would like to bring the price down. It's hard knowing that I'm paying a higher
    price just because of the paint job.

    Any advice is appreciated...

    Thanks, Bryan

    *2000 Bianchi Veloce in Red/Yellow (found image a eOpinions):
    http://64.95.118.51/images/opti/2f/12/2000_Bianchi_Veloce-resized200.jpg

    Tags:

  2. Bryan: $1099 sounds like a pretty good deal on that bike; I wouldn't compare it to any pricing you
    see on eBay, since those bikes obviously don't come with the support of a local dealer, will have to
    be assembled and, most likely, have *no* warranty since most major manufacturers don't allow
    mail-order or eBay sales of their bikes. It's also got to be the right size (which is a very big
    issue... doesn't matter how cool it looks if it doesn't fit!).

    The bike may not be worth $1099 to you, and it could be that, to the dealer, he/she feels they can
    do better than that with someone else. There will be times when a dealer simply won't sell below a
    certain level because of what they put into it, not just in dollars, but also the amount of time
    they spend building (or in this case, check out) the bike, and taking care of the customer. In some
    cases you'll simply have an honest disagreement over what something's worth, and no sale takes
    place. Just try to not maneuver yourself into a position where nobody's comfortable with the deal.
    If this is a really good dealer, it doesn't make sense to burn all of your bridges.

    "Bryan O. Fenstermacher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > All,
    >
    > My local bike shop has a 2000 Bianchi Veloce, which is brand new. The manager of the LBS found it
    > at a Bianchi warehouse where it was just sitting, never ridden. The bike has the red/yellow paint
    > job* which looks really beautiful and seems to be all original spec. as far as I can tell. It has
    > the complete Campy Veloce component package with a Daytona front derailleur, Mavic CXP rims,
    > Vittoria tires, Celeste colored Look 206 clipless pedals and the Bianchi Carbon fork.
    >
    > The owner wants $1099 for the bike (came down to that price from almost $1200, and he had it
    > stickered at the original list price of $1449). He says that the paint job makes it more valuable
    > than a normal celeste
    colored
    > Bianchi, which I agree with him on (check link to pic at bottom of page). But the price still
    > seems way high considering that the bike is a 2000
    model
    > and the 2003 are arriving in stores now. I've also seen the 2002 Veloce's selling on eBay for
    > around $900 (and that's from other bike stores
    clearing
    > out inventory, not private sellers), and some selling much cheaper than that.
    >
    > What would be a fair price for the bike? Any advice would be great... I want to buy the bike (I
    > love the look of it), but would like to bring the price down. It's hard knowing that I'm paying a
    > higher price just because of the paint job.
    >
    > Any advice is appreciated...
    >
    > Thanks, Bryan
    >
    > *2000 Bianchi Veloce in Red/Yellow (found image a eOpinions):
    > http://64.95.118.51/images/opti/2f/12/2000_Bianchi_Veloce-resized200.jpg

  3. The prices I saw on eBay were assembled, and actually happened to be the right size (I ride a 53),
    but I totally understand there is a difference. The local shop guy was very helpful and I don't want
    to burn any bridges, I'm just trying to make sure I'm paying the right price.

    My concern is that he would sell a 2002 Veloce for about $1250, and was selling a Celeste colored
    2001 for $900. So I thought $1099 seemed a bit high for a 2000 model Veloce, just because it had a
    different paint job (which didn't cost any more to buy, but I agree is worth more money than the
    normal Celeste colored models).

    -Bryan

> [...]
    > > But the price still seems way high considering that the bike is a 2000
    > model
    > > and the 2003 are arriving in stores now. I've also seen the 2002
    Veloce's
    > > selling on eBay for around $900 (and that's from other bike stores
    > clearing
    > > out inventory, not private sellers), and some selling much cheaper than that.
    > >
    > > What would be a fair price for the bike? Any advice would be great... I want to buy the bike (I
    > > love the look of it), but would like to bring
    the
    > > price down. It's hard knowing that I'm paying a higher price just
    because
    > > of the paint job.
    > >
    > > Any advice is appreciated...
    > >
    > > Thanks, Bryan
    > >
    > > *2000 Bianchi Veloce in Red/Yellow (found image a eOpinions):

  4. R.White

    R.White Guest

    "Bryan O. Fenstermacher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > The prices I saw on eBay were assembled, and actually happened to be the right size (I ride a 53),
    > but I totally understand there is a difference. The local shop guy was very helpful and I don't
    > want to burn any bridges, I'm just trying to make sure I'm paying the right price.
    >
    > My concern is that he would sell a 2002 Veloce for about $1250, and was selling a Celeste colored
    > 2001 for $900. So I thought $1099 seemed a bit high for a 2000 model Veloce, just because it had a
    > different paint job (which didn't cost any more to buy, but I agree is worth more money than the
    > normal Celeste colored models).

    The ebay bikes have to be dis-assembled to ship. No biggie.

    Offer to buy the bike from the dealer for $1000. If he counters with $1050, take it and all
    will be happy.

> [...]
    > > > But the price still seems way high considering that the bike is a 2000
    > model
    > > > and the 2003 are arriving in stores now. I've also seen the 2002
    > Veloce's
    > > > selling on eBay for around $900 (and that's from other bike stores
    > clearing
    > > > out inventory, not private sellers), and some selling much cheaper than that.
    > > >
    > > > What would be a fair price for the bike? Any advice would be great... I want to buy the bike
    > > > (I love the look of it), but would like to bring
    > the
    > > > price down. It's hard knowing that I'm paying a higher price just
    > because
    > > > of the paint job.
    > > >
    > > > Any advice is appreciated...
    > > >
    > > > Thanks, Bryan
    > > >
    > > > *2000 Bianchi Veloce in Red/Yellow (found image a eOpinions):

  5. In article <[email protected]>, Bryan O. Fenstermacher
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >My concern is that he would sell a 2002 Veloce for about $1250, and was selling a Celeste colored
    >2001 for $900. So I thought $1099 seemed a bit high for a 2000 model Veloce, just because it had a
    >different paint job (which didn't cost any more to buy, but I agree is worth more money than the
    >normal Celeste colored models).

    Do check to see if there are differences in the bicycles other than the color. Sometimes, bicycle
    companies will move a given model up or down market by changing frames or components.

    Timothy J. Lee Unsolicited bulk or commercial email is not welcome. No warranty of any kind is
    provided with this message.

  6. As far as I can tell the bike is completely like the kit it would have had originally, complete with
    celeste colored Look clipless pedals.

    Actually as far as I can tell the only read difference between this 2000 model and the newer ones is
    the newer ones have the newer threadless fork design. For 2003 I think Bianchi went to the sloped
    top tube design (which I'm not completely cool with visually).

    -Bryan

    "Timothy J. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Bryan O. Fenstermacher
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >My concern is that he would sell a 2002 Veloce for about $1250, and was selling a Celeste colored
    > >2001 for $900. So I thought $1099 seemed a bit high for a 2000 model Veloce, just because it had
    > >a different paint job (which didn't cost any more to buy, but I agree is worth more money than
    the
    > >normal Celeste colored models).
    >
    > Do check to see if there are differences in the bicycles other than the color. Sometimes, bicycle
    > companies will move a given model up or down market by changing frames or components.

    > Timothy J. Lee Unsolicited bulk or commercial email is not welcome. No warranty of any kind is
    > provided with this message.

  7. I bought it for $1050... from Westerville Bike Shop in Westerville Ohio, the owner was great to deal
    with. Now I'm just looking at it and wishing it was spring already.

    -Bryan

    "R.White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    > > what
    > > > they put into it, not just in dollars, but also the amount of time
    they
    > > > spend building (or in this case, check out) the bike, and taking care
    of
    > > the
    > > > customer. In some cases you'll simply have an honest disagreement
    over
    > > what
    > > > something's worth, and no sale takes place. Just try to not maneuver yourself into a position
    > > > where nobody's comfortable with the deal. If
    > > this
    > > > is a really good dealer, it doesn't make sense to burn all of your
    > > bridges.
    > > >
    > > > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
    > > >

    > > > "Bryan O. Fenstermacher" <[email protected]> wrote in message

  8. just so you know -- I have that bike -- and I love it -- I have nothing bad to say about it --- I
    have about 2000 miles on it -- just started riding it three months ago

    "Bryan O. Fenstermacher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > All,
    >
    > My local bike shop has a 2000 Bianchi Veloce, which is brand new. The manager of the LBS found it
    > at a Bianchi warehouse where it was just sitting, never ridden. The bike has the red/yellow paint
    > job* which looks really beautiful and seems to be all original spec. as far as I can tell. It has
    > the complete Campy Veloce component package with a Daytona front derailleur, Mavic CXP rims,
    > Vittoria tires, Celeste colored Look 206 clipless pedals and the Bianchi Carbon fork.
    >
    > The owner wants $1099 for the bike (came down to that price from almost $1200, and he had it
    > stickered at the original list price of $1449). He says that the paint job makes it more valuable
    > than a normal celeste
    colored
    > Bianchi, which I agree with him on (check link to pic at bottom of page). But the price still
    > seems way high considering that the bike is a 2000
    model
    > and the 2003 are arriving in stores now. I've also seen the 2002 Veloce's selling on eBay for
    > around $900 (and that's from other bike stores
    clearing
    > out inventory, not private sellers), and some selling much cheaper than that.
    >
    > What would be a fair price for the bike? Any advice would be great... I want to buy the bike (I
    > love the look of it), but would like to bring the price down. It's hard knowing that I'm paying a
    > higher price just because of the paint job.
    >
    > Any advice is appreciated...
    >
    > Thanks, Bryan
    >
    > *2000 Bianchi Veloce in Red/Yellow (found image a eOpinions):
    > http://64.95.118.51/images/opti/2f/12/2000_Bianchi_Veloce-resized200.jpg

  9. I think the new veloce's are not steel ---the 2000 veloce is a steal frame

    "Bryan O. Fenstermacher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As far as I can tell the bike is completely like the kit it would have had originally, complete
    > with celeste colored Look clipless pedals.
    >
    > Actually as far as I can tell the only read difference between this 2000 model and the newer ones
    > is the newer ones have the newer threadless fork design. For 2003 I think Bianchi went to the
    > sloped top tube design
    (which
    > I'm not completely cool with visually).
    >
    > -Bryan
    >
    > "Timothy J. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, Bryan O. Fenstermacher
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > >My concern is that he would sell a 2002 Veloce for about $1250, and was selling a Celeste
    > > >colored 2001 for $900. So I thought $1099 seemed a
    bit
    > > >high for a 2000 model Veloce, just because it had a different paint job (which didn't cost any
    > > >more to buy, but I agree is worth more money
    than
    > the
    > > >normal Celeste colored models).
    > >
    > > Do check to see if there are differences in the bicycles other than the color. Sometimes,
    > > bicycle companies will move a given model up or down market by changing frames or components.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Timothy J. Lee Unsolicited bulk or commercial email is not welcome. No warranty of any kind is
    > > provided with this message.

  10. Jkpoulos7

    Jkpoulos7 Guest

    >The owner wants $1099 for the bike (came down to that price from almost
    >> $1200, and he had it stickered at the original list price of $1449).

    The '03 Veloce had a list of $1499. Who would pay that for a bike already 3 years old? Check the
    specs - sometimes companies give better spec through the years and sometimes they get worse. I'd
    only pay $800 or so for that bike.

    > He
    >> says that the paint job makes it more valuable than a normal celeste
    >colored
    >> Bianchi, which I agree with him on

    Of course he says it he wants a sucker to buy it .

    >But the price still seems way high considering that the bike is a 2000 model
    >> and the 2003 are arriving in stores now.

    You're right!!!

    >> want to buy the bike (I love the look of it), but would like to bring the price down. It's hard
    >> knowing that I'm paying a higher price just because of the paint job.

    Offer the guy what you want to pay. If you like the bike you'll be happy. If he doesn't take it get
    a newer model.