$2000 question... (Long)

kevinmcdade

Nov 28, 2004
I have a $2000 budget to buy myself a new road bike. I have been shopping around for the last 2-3 weeks and have finally narrowed down my decision to 3. I definitely want carbon. I am a recreational rider that rides 20-30 miles per day during the week and 50-75 miles on the weekend. I like to ride fast and aggressive. I didn't like climbing at first but the more fit I get and the more I practice climbing, the more I like it. I have been riding since September on an aluminum frame that I bought to see if I would like cycling and stick with it. Now that I know I like it and it is now a part of my lifestyle, I would like to buy the bike that I really want.

1st choice: 2005 Specialized Tarmac Comp - $2000. Full carbon, Shimano 105/Ultegra components, FSA carbon cranks, Alex ALX 330 wheelset. I love this bike!!! It is stiff but still comfortable, soaks up bumps nicely, nice geometry and fast. Weight is not really an issue because I don't race and probably never will.

2nd choice: Look KG461 frameset - on sale at my LBS for $900. Shimano Ultegra 9 build kit - $1200. The downside to this choice is I can't ride it before I buy/build it. I have also been told that the frame may flex with rider my size (6'1" 215 pounds)

3rd choice: 2005 Trek 5000 - $2000. I like this bike alot! I could probably eventually fall in love with it but from the first ride, I felt no love. I love the price for a full carbon bike.

If anyone knows of any other carbon bikes in the $2000 price range that I should try, I will be more than willing to look into it. I will not be purchasing until March but I like to do alot of research before laying down the cash. Other bikes that I have researched and priced are: Orbea, Cervelo, Giant, and Fondriest but they all priced around $1500 for the frameset.

Of my 3 choices, I would like feed back from people who have experience with the bikes on the list or something similar. Also, if those three were your only choices, which one would you pick?

Thanks for help and input!

You say you love the Tarmac... what else are you looking for to make your decision? Case closed. That said did you try a Roubaix? Mmmmmm... (Another compact composite frame that a lot of folks like in that $ range is Giant's OCR or TCR.)

I love the Tarmac but I just want to make sure I am giving everything in my price range a fair chance. I went to the only Giant dealer in my area but they did not have any in my size, plus they didn't seem to willing to answer questions and assist so I will see if I can find a different Giant dealer. I tried the Roubaix but prefer the Tarmac.

Hmm, I agree. If you love the Tarmac, then you have your answer. It is a nice bike, and is worthy of upgrades later if you wanted to go that route. Other bike choices... Giant TCR's are available full ultegra in that range, that applies to 2003's, I dont know the 04 pricing.

How about the Scott CR1? Its full carbon and the frame only weighs 980g. For $2k it only comes with 105 components. But its totally worthy of upgrades. I fell in love with it after about a minute of riding it and had to buy it. Of course it won't be here for another month or so...

I would look into the Orbea brand, which is much better bike than Trek and Specialized.

I actually went to buy the Tarmac Comp yesterday but while at the store, I changed my mind. I looked at the bike and immediately started thinking about what I would upgrade and change. Those thoughts made me put the bike back on the rack and walk away. I told the salesman I would be back when I can buy a bike that I will not need/want to make any changes to for a while. I will save up another $1500-$2000 so that I can have more choices and get everything that I want on the bike at the time of purchase. I looked at and liked the Orbea, Six13, Tarmac Pro, and Calfee Luna...all of which can be had for $3000-$3500 equipped just the way want them. After testing the Six13 equipped with Campy Centaur, I think I will be going with a Campy setup:D.

I never realized that buying a new bicycle is more complicated than buying a new car or even a house. It took me 1 week to decide on and start building my new house and I have been deciding on a new bike for almost a month.

I also never realized how helpful a "real" bike shop can be. They spent time with me and took my measurements and I come to find out that the bike that I am currently riding is too big. From my measurements they determined that the best size frame for me is one with a 56.5-57cm top tube...I have been riding a bike with a 58cm top tube. No wonder my seat is moved so far forward:rolleyes:. I will definitely be giving this particular shop all of my business in the future.

Get the Orbea you would not regret your purchase. Look at the Lobular frames and Onix. Very good stuff.

kevinmcdade said:
I actually went to buy the Tarmac Comp yesterday but while at the store, I changed my mind. I looked at the bike and immediately started thinking about what I would upgrade and change. Those thoughts made me put the bike back on the rack and walk away. I told the salesman I would be back when I can buy a bike that I will not need/want to make any changes to for a while. I will save up another $1500-$2000 so that I can have more choices and get everything that I want on the bike at the time of purchase. I looked at and liked the Orbea, Six13, Tarmac Pro, and Calfee Luna...all of which can be had for $3000-$3500 equipped just the way want them. After testing the Six13 equipped with Campy Centaur, I think I will be going with a Campy setup:D.

I never realized that buying a new bicycle is more complicated than buying a new car or even a house. It took me 1 week to decide on and start building my new house and I have been deciding on a new bike for almost a month.

I also never realized how helpful a "real" bike shop can be. They spent time with me and took my measurements and I come to find out that the bike that I am currently riding is too big. From my measurements they determined that the best size frame for me is one with a 56.5-57cm top tube...I have been riding a bike with a 58cm top tube. No wonder my seat is moved so far forward:rolleyes:. I will definitely be giving this particular shop all of my business in the future.
I am curious to know what specifically it was that turned you off about the Tarmac Comp. I had ordered a 2005 Tarmac Comp from my LBS, but then later purchased a Tarmac S-Works from the same store after I suddenly acquired a little more cash. As far as composite road bikes in the $2K range have you considered the Kestrel Talon? I have a 2004 Talon on which I just switched-out the Ultegra components for Dura-Ace. I bought this bike w/Ultegra components for $2400 and I've done lots of up-grades (seat-post, saddle, stem, handle bars, wheels) since. I highly recommend the Kestrel Talon if you haven't already tried this bike.

leslierc8853 said:
I am curious to know what specifically it was that turned you off about the Tarmac Comp. I had ordered a 2005 Tarmac Comp from my LBS, but then later purchased a Tarmac S-Works from the same store after I suddenly acquired a little more cash. As far as composite road bikes in the $2K range have you considered the Kestrel Talon? I have a 2004 Talon on which I just switched-out the Ultegra components for Dura-Ace. I bought this bike w/Ultegra components for $2400 and I've done lots of up-grades (seat-post, saddle, stem, handle bars, wheels) since. I highly recommend the Kestrel Talon if you haven't already tried this bike.
The Tarmac Comp is a great bike for the price. The thing that made me change my mind was when I instantly came up with a list of things that I would change and upgrade on the bike. If that's what i am going to do, I might as well save up some more coins and get the Tarmac Pro or better yet jump up to the Tarmac S-Works. I thought about the Kestral but could not find any dealers in my area. Spending over $2000 on a bike, I will only do it from a LBS for support reasons. I am seriously considering getting the Look frame and fork and migrating all of my Ultegra parts and my Ksyrium wheels over to it and giving that a try. I have been reasured by several riders my size that frame is great and I will not be disappointed. So many choices...

If you wait and save up a bit more you could get a Madone 5.2.

Its a nice, full-carbon bike and it will probably be my next road bike.

I am lucky because my parents already have a car to give me so I don't have to save up for one.

That means I can just save the money and buy the bike.

By the way, the Bike costs $2,999 on the TREK website but my LBS sells it for $2,600

Cyclist14 said:
If you wait and save up a bit more you could get a Madone 5.2.

Its a nice, full-carbon bike and it will probably be my next road bike.

I am lucky because my parents already have a car to give me so I don't have to save up for one.

That means I can just save the money and buy the bike.

By the way, the Bike costs $2,999 on the TREK website but my LBS sells it for $2,600
have you looked at carbon frames, then get to putting together a bike of your choice rather than one that someone else thinks is right for you and what you might need, not what you do want and expect from it
sure you could purchase your own trek decals.

http://www.pedalforce.com/web/frames.htm

closesupport said:
have you looked at carbon frames, then get to putting together a bike of your choice rather than one that someone else thinks is right for you and what you might need, not what you do want and expect from it
sure you could purchase your own trek decals.

http://www.pedalforce.com/web/frames.htm
This idea is actually what I am leaning towards and am almost ready to pull the trigger on a Look KG461 frame and an Ultegra build kit. I have a set of Ksyrium SSC wheels to put on it and it would cost me less than $2000 to complete. This would make my bike unique. Every now and then I see a Look frame while out on a ride but not like I see other brands that you can pick up on the shelf already built.

Thanks for all of the input everyone. I decided to build it MY WAY. I purchased a used Look KG281 frame and fork and will be building it up.