2000 ultegra vs 2004

CTYankee

New Member
Aug 24, 2004
I know the 2004 is better...but how much? What are the differences? Was the splined BB aroung then? Have the shifters improved much? The brakes? Weight? Reliablitity?

I found a good deal on a bike with 2000 Ultegra (all new) and don't want to assume that the parts are as good as I think. I'm a recreational hard rider (don't race, but regularly do short TT type rides or long 70+ mile rides)

CTYankee <[email protected]> wrote:

> I know the 2004 is better...but how much? What are the differences? Was
> the splined BB aroung then? Have the shifters improved much? The
> brakes? Weight? Reliablitity?

> I found a good deal on a bike with 2000 Ultegra (all new) and don't
> want to assume that the parts are as good as I think. I'm a
> recreational hard rider (don't race, but regularly do short TT type
> rides or long 70+ mile rides)

Probably not Flight Deck compatible (which may be an advantage). Will you
get any warranty coverage on something that old?

Art Harris

> I know the 2004 is better...but how much? What are the differences? Was
> the splined BB aroung then? Have the shifters improved much? The
> brakes? Weight? Reliablitity?
>
> I found a good deal on a bike with 2000 Ultegra (all new) and don't
> want to assume that the parts are as good as I think. I'm a
> recreational hard rider (don't race, but regularly do short TT type
> rides or long 70+ mile rides)

I have a 1999 full Ultegra 9 speed. Maybe the first year for 9 speed?
(someone knows). I can't tell you a whole lot about the 2004 Ultegra stuff
because my 1999 stuff has been ROCK SOLID for 5 YEARS. Shifters/brakes
PERFECT, derailleurs/front and back PERFECT, cranks, etc, awesome. I swap
out the chain often and keep everything fairly clean. The bike you are
looking at should have the splined BB. Chainrings and cog stack could be
worn down but those are replaceable.

I'm sure Shimano has worked a few grams out of the group over the years and
if that's your priority - go for it. Don't know if shifting/braking/weight
is all that different. I guess a lot of that stuff is pretty subjective.
There are plenty of guys still riding with downtube shifters and love them.
Good luck.

CTYankee wrote:
> I know the 2004 is better...but how much? What are the differences? Was
> the splined BB aroung then? Have the shifters improved much? The
> brakes? Weight? Reliablitity?
>
> I found a good deal on a bike with 2000 Ultegra (all new) and don't
> want to assume that the parts are as good as I think. I'm a
> recreational hard rider (don't race, but regularly do short TT type
> rides or long 70+ mile rides)

Geez, I have '94 Ultegra on my bike and it's still going strong. How
much better do you need?

Threeducks said:
Geez, I have '94 Ultegra on my bike and it's still going strong. How much better do you need?

I've got '89 Ultegra on mine, does that count? :)

Dean

CTY-<< I know the 2004 is better...but how much? What are the differences? Was
the splined BB aroung then? Have the shifters improved much? The
brakes? Weight? Reliablitity? >><BR><BR>

9s and spline stuff for Ultegra started in 1998.
The levers were changed to eliminate the rattly caps but otherwise it hasn't
changed since 1998.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.