2001 Cannondale r600, fair price

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by gt3413, Apr 10, 2007.

1. gt3413

gt3413 New Member

I'm looking into buying a used roadbike so I can take part in the weekly rides (Tuesdays and Thursdays) at my LBS. I am also considering taking part in the hotter than hell 100 in August. I've found a 2001 Cannondale R600 at a bike shop within 45 minutes of my home. However, he is wanting $500 for it and will take $475. I was thinking more in the range of $350 but i know very little about bikes. The bike is owned by a guy that works at the shop. Here is the description on the website:

Cannondale R600, flat black, 54cm CAAD 4 aluminum frame w/Slice Prodigy carbon fork, Shimano 105 shifters and rear derailleur, Shimano Tiagra front derailleur, Mavic CXP21 wheelset, Deda Anatomic 310 bars, new Specialized All Condition 700x23 Armadillo tires, new Cinelli Cork bar tape, Cateye Enduro 2 cycle computer, Shimano SPD pedals

$500 seems like a lot for a bike that is 6 years old. However, this guy says that the bike only has around 1200 miles on it. Just FYI, it is a double. Does this seem to be a fair price? If not, what should I offer. I want to get a good, used bike but don't want to pay too much for it. If it matters, I'm 5'7" and weigh about 225lbs. I hear these are good, sturdy bikes so that will definitely be a plus. Thanks, Greg

Tags:

2. LeDomestique

LeDomestique New Member

I wouldn't be concerned with the price, but with the size. If you're 5'7, a 54 C'dale might be a bit too big. Have you tested it?

475$ for a quality frame and mid-level (and a bit old) components is not bad. If he works at the shop, he's probably taken good care of it.

3. gt3413

gt3413 New Member

I rode the Cannondale today. Its the only rode bike I've ridden so I don't have much to compare it with. It seemed to ride OK. It shifted alright. Kind of stiff but like I said I don't really have anything to compare it to. Maybe I can find some other road bikes locally and see how they feel for comparison. From what I've heard, the stiffness is a good thing in a road bike.

4. Scotttri

Scotttri Member

I ride a cannondale r1000 and i'm 5'7, my frame size is 50cm, so i'd haeto agree that the bike might be a little to big.

5. BlueJersey

BlueJersey New Member

I am 5/9. Size 54 is just right about perfect for me.

6. Camilo

Camilo New Member

To get a ballpark idea of what size frame you should be looking at, there are two websites I'm familiar with that can give you some ideas: wrenchscience.com and competativecyclist.com. They will give you an idea of the "top tube length" and "seat tube length" that you should be looking at. I agree with many others that believe that top tube length is the most important factor.

That said, my WAG is that you'll be looking at a 52 cm bike frame, but a 50 or 54 might fit you depending on your proportions. If you're looking at a used bike at a reputable LBS, they should give you an honest opinion on whether the frame is the right size for you.

7. graphixgeek

graphixgeek New Member

I'm 5'8" and ride a 52cm C'dale...