2001 Klein Quantum - fork upgrade

MattP

Guest
I have a 2001 Klein quantum race (not pro) and after much debate I
decided to keep my frame since it is still very light at 2.9 lbs but I
think the Pros had a different fork. I finally got the set up like I
enjoy but am considering upgrading to a more aero type fork and maybe
lighter since I can't find information on how much the quantum race
fork weighs or if it was carbon or not.

I have thought about going to a carbon frame & fork but think I may
try this route since I still like the quickness of the frame for group
rides.

Any suggestions on aero forks or other type suggestions on this?

Thanks in advance

AP

>I have a 2001 Klein quantum race (not pro) and after much debate I
> decided to keep my frame since it is still very light at 2.9 lbs but I
> think the Pros had a different fork. I finally got the set up like I
> enjoy but am considering upgrading to a more aero type fork and maybe
> lighter since I can't find information on how much the quantum race
> fork weighs or if it was carbon or not.

The fork is assuredly carbon, and reasonably light, but not stupid-light.
The main thing to look for in a new fork would be to match its rake/offset.
The Quantum Pro had a very different fork, not adaptable to your bike
because it had a larger lower steer tube diameter and required a special
pressed-in bearing. The Bontrager Race ***-Lite fork is very similar in
weight and blade design, but with a conventional steer tube (allowing its
use in your frame).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

news:[email protected]...

On Aug 12, 8:20 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I have a 2001 Klein quantum race (not pro) and after much debate I
> > decided to keep my frame since it is still very light at 2.9 lbs but I
> > think the Pros had a different fork. I finally got the set up like I
> > enjoy but am considering upgrading to a more aero type fork and maybe
> > lighter since I can't find information on how much the quantum race
> > fork weighs or if it was carbon or not.

> The fork is assuredly carbon, and reasonably light, but not stupid-light.
> The main thing to look for in a new fork would be to match its rake/offset.
> The Quantum Pro had a very different fork, not adaptable to your bike
> because it had a larger lower steer tube diameter and required a special
> pressed-in bearing. The Bontrager Race ***-Lite fork is very similar in
> weight and blade design, but with a conventional steer tube (allowing its
> use in your frame).
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com
>
> "MattP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> >I have a 2001 Klein quantum race (not pro) and after much debate I
> > decided to keep my frame since it is still very light at 2.9 lbs but I
> > think the Pros had a different fork. I finally got the set up like I
> > enjoy but am considering upgrading to a more aero type fork and maybe
> > lighter since I can't find information on how much the quantum race
> > fork weighs or if it was carbon or not.

> > I have thought about going to a carbon frame & fork but think I may
> > try this route since I still like the quickness of the frame for group
> > rides.

> > Any suggestions on aero forks or other type suggestions on this?

> > Thanks in advance

> > AP- Hide quoted text -

Well from what I have found out the old fork is an ICON Air Rail OD
with cane creek headset since the regular quantum frame was different
for the Quantum Pro but not sure if that makes a difference

> Well from what I have found out the old fork is an ICON Air Rail OD
> with cane creek headset since the regular quantum frame was different
> for the Quantum Pro but not sure if that makes a difference

Right. The Icon Air Rail was a very solidly-built fork, carbon blades with
an aluminum fork crown. You can definitely drop some weight from the bike
with a different fork, but I don't think you'll improve the handling.

On Aug 13, 1:00 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Well from what I have found out the old fork is an ICON Air Rail OD
> > with cane creek headset since the regular quantum frame was different
> > for the Quantum Pro but not sure if that makes a difference

> Right. The Icon Air Rail was a very solidly-built fork, carbon blades with
> an aluminum fork crown. You can definitely drop some weight from the bike
> with a different fork, but I don't think you'll improve the handling.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com
>
> "MattP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...

> >> The fork is assuredly carbon, and reasonably light, but not stupid-light.
> >> The main thing to look for in a new fork would be to match its
> >> rake/offset.
> >> The Quantum Pro had a very different fork, not adaptable to your bike
> >> because it had a larger lower steer tube diameter and required a special
> >> pressed-in bearing. The Bontrager Race ***-Lite fork is very similar in
> >> weight and blade design, but with a conventional steer tube (allowing its
> >> use in your frame).

> >> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

> >> "MattP" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >>news:[email protected]...

> > Well from what I have found out the old fork is an ICON Air Rail OD
> > with cane creek headset since the regular quantum frame was different
> > for the Quantum Pro but not sure if that makes a difference- Hide quoted text -

Gotcha-Thanks for the information. I figure I could save about 1/2lb
but at same time have a more aero fork.