2002 Marzocchi Marathon S Rebuild



G

GeeDubb

Guest
I'm finally (2.5 years, 2500 miles and roughly 100,000 feet of climbing)
having to rebuild my Bomber because the left air tube won't hold air through
a ride anymore. I started searching for a rebuild kit but all I found were
seal kits (dust and oil seals only) and a bunch of other things that didn't
make sense when going through the manual.

So the questions are:

Does anybody have any experience rebuilding one of these? If so, pointers?

Are there more things I need other than the seal kit and oil?

Should I just forget the do-it-yourself and send it off to be rebuilt?

Gary
 
J

Jon Bond

Guest
"GeeDubb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I'm finally (2.5 years, 2500 miles and roughly 100,000 feet of climbing)
> having to rebuild my Bomber because the left air tube won't hold air
> through a ride anymore. I started searching for a rebuild kit but all I
> found were seal kits (dust and oil seals only) and a bunch of other things
> that didn't make sense when going through the manual.
>
> So the questions are:
>
> Does anybody have any experience rebuilding one of these? If so, pointers?
>
> Are there more things I need other than the seal kit and oil?
>
> Should I just forget the do-it-yourself and send it off to be rebuilt?
>
> Gary


I assume you mean SL, the S was coil/oil.

I gave up on mine and sent it into QBP. Then again, mine was knocking, the
lowers were rocking back and forth, and the whole fork had generally gone to
****. They rebuilt everything, replaced the bushings, seals, o rings, and a
piece in the ECC thing. They got it back to me pretty quickly too, about a
week and a half or so from when I shipped it out.

They're the authorized repair center in the US, and the fork is great now.
It wasn't cheap (about 115 or so at bike store cost, so figure 150 or so
total cost), but they did a great job and I didn't have to buy seal presses,
seal kits, or track down the right bushings and 8 different sizes of O
rings.

Jon Bond
 
G

GeeDubb

Guest
Jon Bond wrote:
> "GeeDubb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> I'm finally (2.5 years, 2500 miles and roughly 100,000 feet of
>> climbing) having to rebuild my Bomber because the left air tube
>> won't hold air through a ride anymore. I started searching for a
>> rebuild kit but all I found were seal kits (dust and oil seals only)
>> and a bunch of other things that didn't make sense when going
>> through the manual. So the questions are:
>>
>> Does anybody have any experience rebuilding one of these? If so,
>> pointers? Are there more things I need other than the seal kit and oil?
>>
>> Should I just forget the do-it-yourself and send it off to be
>> rebuilt? Gary

>
> I assume you mean SL, the S was coil/oil.
>
> I gave up on mine and sent it into QBP. Then again, mine was
> knocking, the lowers were rocking back and forth, and the whole fork
> had generally gone to ****. They rebuilt everything, replaced the
> bushings, seals, o rings, and a piece in the ECC thing. They got it
> back to me pretty quickly too, about a week and a half or so from
> when I shipped it out.
> They're the authorized repair center in the US, and the fork is great
> now. It wasn't cheap (about 115 or so at bike store cost, so figure
> 150 or so total cost), but they did a great job and I didn't have to
> buy seal presses, seal kits, or track down the right bushings and 8
> different sizes of O rings.
>
> Jon Bond


Thanks. The manual says "marathon s" but I know it's not coil and there's
nothing on the shock other than Marathon, Bomber and Dopio Air so I'll take
your word for it.

I have a brand new, in the box 90 mm White Bros shock I won at a race some
six years ago. Guess I'll have to finally use it while the Bomber is out
for repair.

Gary
 
H

huffyrider

Guest

> Thanks. The manual says "marathon s" but I know it's not coil and there's
> nothing on the shock other than Marathon, Bomber and Dopio Air so I'll
> take your word for it.
>

FWIW, it's a Marathon S. That's the only model Marathon that Marzocchi had
in '02 - and yes, they were air forks. I sent mine into Marzocchi last year
and they brought it up to 'better than new' status.

hr