2002 Schwinn Peloton - to buy or not?

cm77

May 18, 2014
I'm new to cycling and at a local bike shop the other day I found a 54" 2002 Schwinn Peloton for $440. The mechanic there had replaced the fork with a carbon fiber one (I guess the stock one was aluminum, like the rest of the bike) along with new brakes and tires. It looks a little funky, since the fork doesn't match the frame, color-wise, but other than a couple minor dings in the frame I don't see much wrong with it. This seems like a good deal, but not knowing much about cycling (other than I want to start doing it) I want to make sure it's actually as good of a deal as it sounds. Thanks for any advice!

Just took a quick look at Bike Pedia, and it shows 2000 as the last model year for the Pelton. There was a Peloton with a 105 group, and a Peloton Pro with Ultegra. Nice frame, 853 Reynolds, but both groups are long obsolete. I think both were 9 speeds back then. But you might find old stock on eBay if the shifters are shot. Right now, only Sora is 9 speeds with Shimano, and it's a step down. MSRP on the Peloton was $1499, and $1899 for the Pro.

Originally Posted by cm77
I'm new to cycling and at a local bike shop the other day I found a 54" 2002 Schwinn Peloton for $440. The mechanic there had replaced the fork with a carbon fiber one (I guess the stock one was aluminum, like the rest of the bike) along with new brakes and tires. It looks a little funky, since the fork doesn't match the frame, color-wise, but other than a couple minor dings in the frame I don't see much wrong with it. This seems like a good deal, but not knowing much about cycling (other than I want to start doing it) I want to make sure it's actually as good of a deal as it sounds. Thanks for any advice!

Did you take OR do you have a pic of the bike?

Was the replacement fork a threaded or threadless fork?

• THAT matters only to a small extent ... but, what "brand' CF fork was put on the bike?
[*]most threaded CF forks were black (really, a "naked weave"), and that would therefore be the expected color ...
  • if is not black, you can paint it to suit your aesthetic sensibilities!?!

By "new brakes" I presume you mean the bike has new brake pads.

Ask if the mechanic if he has a vague estimate of the number of miles the bike/components have seen ...

• are the components 8-speed or 9-speed?
  • are the components 105 or Ultegra ... or, something else?

• is the shop offering some type of warranty?

FWIW. MY inclination is to say that $400+ is probably a FAIR PRICE for the potential buyer.

I disagree that the Peloton is obsolete now, I still have a 12 speed bike and I can get parts for it, the 18 speed stuff you're looking at are still plentiful in parts.

However, I had one of those, the aluminium frame was junk, it cracked for no reason on the head tube right below the headset. I still have the fork though! I think if the bike has a different fork then originally spec'd that means it was probably crashed and damaged the fork which means I would stay away from it.