2002 Trek 2200?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by trifona, Mar 1, 2004.

1. trifona

trifona New Member

2002 Trek 2200.

SL Aluminum
    58cm
    double chainring
    Ultegra RD
    105 FD
    Ultegra shifter
    Ultegra crank
    105 BB
    105 brakes
    Bontrager hubs
    Bontrager Select wheels
    Shimano SPD Pedals
    $999 - Originally a $1500-$1600 bike per their tag

2004 Lemond Alpe d'Huez
    55cm
    Full Ultegra gruppo.
    Bontrager Select wheels
    $1329

The Trek seems like a steal at that price. They also had new Trek 1500's at the same price. The 1500, in comparison, had no name brakes, and BB, forgot to check the hubs, but I suspect also no-names.

I am really tempted by this bike.

Problem....my back....while riding I felt a constant strain in my back. Keep in mind, that no seat adjustments were made prior to my ride, and that I havent been on a road bike in ages. Also, when I met the sales guy, I told him I thought I needed a 56 or 58, and he dismissed the notion of a 58 just by looking at me...however he did misjudge my height by 2-3 inches also.

I took out the Lemond 55cm for comparison. The seat post was too low, from my guesstimate, That or the bike was too small for me. My back didnt feel strained at all. I'm not sure, if 2nd time was a charm, or the size, or geometry had something to do with it. I should have rode the 2200 again, but I had to get back to work.

Despite being full Ultegra on the Lemond, it shifted like crap...perhaps it needed adjustment, perhaps it was because of the triple ring. Although the Trek shifted much smoother, that too had alot of room for improvement.

Never had a double ring on any bike before, wonder if i really need it...

In any case...assuming I get the fit down correctly on the 2200....would you advise on any other bike for the same money?

Tags: