2003 Air Force Marathon

David Drake

Guest
Completed my first marathon this morning so I thought I would share my results.... Not to bad for my
first one.especially considering this time last week I was preparing for a pub crawl. LOL Air Force
Marathon 2003 - Marathon

date:
09/20/ 2003

location:
WBAFB, OH

weather:

Marathon - Results

Click on your bib number to get personal, printable information. Your search matched 1 record.
Displaying records 1 - 1

NO FN LN OVERALL DIVP DIVT

PACE TIME 5MILE 12MILE 19MILE

643
DAVID
DRAKE
10: 52
10:1: 37
11: 40
11:1: 48
11:2: 44

Air Force Marathon 2003 - Marathon

date:
11/3/ 2003

location:
WBAFB, OH

DAVID DRAKE

bib number: 643

age:
30

gender: M

location:
CINCINNATI, OH

overall place:
802 out of 1265

division place:
86 out of 110

gender place:
654 out of 925

time:
11:4:37

pace:
12:52

12iaa:
13: 40

13iaa:
1:50: 48

19mile :
3:13: 44

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 16:32:12 -0400, David Drake wrote:

>Completed my first marathon this morning so I thought I would share my results.... Not to bad for
>my first one.especially considering this time last week I was preparing for a pub crawl. LOL Air
>Force Marathon 2003 - Marathon

Very cool. Congratulations! BUT!!! Did you suffer? I mean did you feel like death warmed over, being
drug through cactus by wild horses, changing religions just to survive the event, etc.? Enquiring
(and sadistic) minds want to know?

Again, congratulations, Layne

The rec.running report archives may be found at http://kinder.cis.unf.edu/rec.running

In article <[email protected]>, "David Drake" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Completed my first marathon this morning so I thought I would share my results.... Not to bad for
> my first one.especially considering this time last week I was preparing for a pub crawl. LOL Air
> Force Marathon 2003 - Marathon

<stuff snipped but appreciated>

David, congratulations on your first marathon! you are now a member (of the marathon club).

interesting to see your stats, but i think what most of us like to see here is a race report, which
can be both fun to write and to read. you know, your thoughts before, during, and after the race.
how you prepared, how the race progressed, and how you felt as you finished. also, any unusual or
interesting things to mention.... the torrential rains or the streets jammed with spectators, or the
moose that gored the runner behind you... you get the idea.

nice job!

Cam

--
Not every race can be a perfect experience, but every race can be a learning experience.

Actually no not too bad at all. I only incurred a little bit of pain in my left knee for about the
last 5 miles but I expected that going into it. My cardio was great especially considering the
longest run I did in preparation was only 15 miles.

"Layne Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 16:32:12 -0400, David Drake wrote:
>
> >Completed my first marathon this morning so I thought I would share my results.... Not to bad for
> >my first one.especially considering this time last week I
was
> >preparing for a pub crawl. LOL Air Force Marathon 2003 - Marathon
> >
> Very cool. Congratulations! BUT!!! Did you suffer? I mean did you feel
like
> death warmed over, being drug through cactus by wild horses, changing religions just to survive
> the event, etc.? Enquiring (and sadistic) minds want to know?
>
> Again, congratulations, Layne

> The rec.running report archives may be found at
http://kinder.cis.unf.edu/rec.running

Good point! Well, I started training for this in April and was doing really well up until the end of
July and to be honest I only ran about 30 miles between August 1st and the marathon. I had a lot of
stuff going on in my personal life and just couldn't seem to find the time to get out there. I
actually thought of not running it but a friend of mine talked me into. I ate a big pasta dinner
last night but didn't get to bed until around midnight and had to get up at 4 am to make the drive
from Cincinnati to Dayton. This is where the nightmare began. There was so much traffic trying to
get into the base that I ended up starting the marathon on my own almost 45 mins after it had began.
I felt really strong the first 5 miles but around mile 9 the pasta dinner started to catch up with
me. I lost almost 9 mins there but afterwards felt much better and ran really well up until around
mile 21 when my left knee really started to bother me. I ended up pacing myself with a guy who was
also dealing with a little bit of knee pain and together we pushed each other to the finish where we
were awarded our medal by a four star airforce general. It was really a great race. There were
plenty of aid stations and the volunteers were great! I will definitely run it again. I also
couldn't have asked for better weather. When I started out it was a little cool but I quickly got
over that. I came home and took a ice cold bath in ice cubes and I would have to say that was the
worst part of my day. My legs felt great but my feet were hurting pretty bad by the time I got out.
Guess they just didn't like the cold weather because aside from a few blisters they feel really
good. A friend of mine is trying to talk me into running the Columbus Marathon on Oct 19th but I'm
going to wait a few days and see how I'm feeling before I commit.

"onemarathon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "David Drake" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Completed my first marathon this morning so I thought I would share my results.... Not to bad
> > for my first one.especially considering this time last week I
was
> > preparing for a pub crawl. LOL Air Force Marathon 2003 - Marathon
>
> <stuff snipped but appreciated>
>

> David, congratulations on your first marathon! you are now a member (of the marathon club).
>
> interesting to see your stats, but i think what most of us like to see here is a race report,
> which can be both fun to write and to read. you know, your thoughts before, during, and after the
> race. how you prepared, how the race progressed, and how you felt as you finished. also, any
> unusual or interesting things to mention.... the torrential rains or the streets jammed with
> spectators, or the moose that gored the runner behind you... you get the idea.
>
> nice job!
>
> Cam
>

> --
> Not every race can be a perfect experience, but every race can be a learning experience.

In article <[email protected]>, "David Drake" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Actually no not too bad at all. I only incurred a little bit of pain in my left knee for about the
> last 5 miles but I expected that going into it. My cardio was great especially considering the
> longest run I did in preparation was only 15 miles.

REALLY? wow, that's something. i suppose that has been done before, but folks usually take it to
maybe 20-21 miles in training (the ones who aren't elite athletes, who would do the distance and
then some). i got up to around 20 or so before doing my own marathon a couple of years back.

nice going, again,

Cam

--

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:54:04 -0400, David Drake wrote:

>Actually no not too bad at all. I only incurred a little bit of pain in my left knee for about the
>last 5 miles but I expected that going into it. My cardio was great especially considering the
>longest run I did in preparation was only 15 miles.

Man, that's wonderful. A 15 miler longest run usually tends to bring on images of dead relatives
during the last 6 miles. Very nice, indeed. Sooooo, have you started planning your next one? :)

Ya done good, Layne

The rec.running report archives may be found at http://kinder.cis.unf.edu/rec.running

In article <[email protected]>, "David Drake" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Good point! Well, I started training for this in April and was doing really well up until the
> end of July and to be honest I only ran about 30 miles between August 1st and the marathon. I
> had a lot of stuff going on in my personal life and just couldn't seem to find the time to get
> out there.

holy #$%! Only 30 miles over the month and a half leading up to the race??? you must be in pretty
good running condition to begin with to manage this. man, i'd be toast if i attempted such a
thing. i think.

> actually thought of not running it but a friend of mine talked me into. I ate a big pasta dinner
> last night

oops! many folks load up the night before, but me - i don't like to risk waking up with a bloated
gut or stomach probs due to the massive carbo load so close to the race. for my marathon (and half
marathons), my last big carb meal is the breakfast of the day before the race. oatmeal, bagels, lots
of fruit, etc. then i eat light the rest of the day to ensure no stomach problems while running for
several hours straight the following morning.

but didn't get to bed until around
> midnight and had to get up at 4 am to make the drive from Cincinnati to Dayton.

oops again. but as long as you got decent sleep the previous days of the week... and you must have
or you would likely have had a tougher race.

I came
> home and took a ice cold bath in ice cubes and I would have to say that was the worst part
> of my day.

yikes! but i know this works wonders. i stick with the ice cold shower on the legs, myself.
whatever works.

My legs felt great but my feet were hurting
> pretty bad by the time I got out. Guess they just didn't like the cold weather because aside
> from a few blisters they feel really good. A friend of mine is trying to talk me into running
> the Columbus Marathon on Oct 19th but I'm going to wait a few days and see how I'm feeling
> before I commit.

hm, well, a month is enough time to recover from marathon number one, but you'll want to get SOME
mileage in before the 2nd one. maybe after a couple of weeks off (short, easy runs), you could
carefully ramp up for the next race. you recovered well (well, it's still a bit early to say, but
i'm being optimistic), so perhaps this is do-able. i'm no expert on marathons, only having done one,
so maybe someone else would have other ideas for this.

if you opt to do the Oct. race, be sure to learn from your mistakes from this one! :) best of luck!

Cam

--
Not every race can be a perfect experience, but every race can be a learning experience.