2003 Best Triathlon Bike - Recommendations ....

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Dambox, Apr 8, 2003.

  1. Dambox

    Dambox Guest

    All,

    I am considering getting a new triatlon bike up to £3000. What bikes are considered the best at
    present. I typically do Olympic distance events.

    Regards
    --------------
    David, England

    Tags:

  2. Billx

    Billx Guest

    I'd select a bike by fit first, stiffness second, and comfort last if you're looking for the fastest
    ride. If you read all the hype about lighter frames and more aerodynamic wheels you'd expect a top
    of the line bike to deliver 2-3 mph more than moderately priced bike but I've never seen that to pan
    out in practice. You can't significantly improve speed by simply buying a new steed though some bike
    manufacturers would have you believe otherwise. If you find the most expensive bike is also the
    fastest for you and money is no object buy it, otherwise save your dow and spend more time training.

  3. dambox wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > I am considering getting a new triatlon bike up to £3000. What bikes are considered the best at
    > present. I typically do Olympic distance events.

    If you're at all unusual in terms of fit, a custom-made bicycle might be in order. Your question
    suggests you aren't terribly familiar with either bicycles in general or tri bikes in particular, so
    the first order of business would be test riding lots of bicycles to form some opinions yourself.

    Asking which bike is best is a lot like asking which car is best - there isn't uniform agreement on
    the desirable traits so there cannot be uniform agreement on which products has them.

    -S-

  4. Chris Maginn

    Chris Maginn Guest

    Go find the best tri shop in your area and get a proper fitting. Then you can choose the
    bike. There's a ton of fine rides out there but your fit needs can determine the best ride
    out there for you.

    Steve Freides <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > dambox wrote:
    > >
    > > All,
    > >
    > > I am considering getting a new triatlon bike up to £3000. What bikes are considered the best at
    > > present. I typically do Olympic distance events.
    >
    > If you're at all unusual in terms of fit, a custom-made bicycle might be in order. Your question
    > suggests you aren't terribly familiar with either bicycles in general or tri bikes in particular,
    > so the first order of business would be test riding lots of bicycles to form some opinions
    > yourself.
    >
    > Asking which bike is best is a lot like asking which car is best - there isn't uniform agreement
    > on the desirable traits so there cannot be uniform agreement on which products has them.
    >
    > -S-

  5. Spyder

    Spyder Guest

    [email protected] (Chris Maginn) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Go find the best tri shop in your area and get a proper fitting. Then you can choose the bike.
    > There's a ton of fine rides out there but your fit needs can determine the best ride out there
    > for you.
    >
    > Steve Freides <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > dambox wrote:
    > > >
    > > > All,
    > > >
    > > > I am considering getting a new triatlon bike up to £3000. What bikes are considered the best
    > > > at present. I typically do Olympic distance events.

    I train and race on a road frame, with aero bars and a forward seat post. Most of my riding is with
    groups and in hilly terrain, so this works well for me. If you will do a lot of riding, I would
    suggest a carbon frame, or carbon forks and seat stays at a minimum.

    Depending on the race venues, a road bike might be faster than an aero bike, and visa versa. While
    money won't necessarily get you speed, it will buy you light weight, and that's half the battle.

    Keep training!

    Spyder

  6. Billx

    Billx Guest

    Something to consider if you go with a carbon frame is that "any" kind of punture to a tube on the
    frame means the frame is totaled and you'll have to buy an entire frame replacement. IMHO aluminum
    frames are the best value as the material is light compared to steel and the manufacturing process
    is a lot more advanced and cheaper compared to carbon or titanium.

    Spyder wrote in message ...
    >[email protected] (Chris Maginn) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Go find the best tri shop in your area and get a proper fitting. Then you can choose the bike.
    >> There's a ton of fine rides out there but your fit needs can determine the best ride out there
    >> for you.
    >>
    >> Steve Freides <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    >I train and race on a road frame, with aero bars and a forward seat post. Most of my riding is with
    >groups and in hilly terrain, so this works well for me. If you will do a lot of riding, I would
    >suggest a carbon frame, or carbon forks and seat stays at a minimum.
    >
    >Depending on the race venues, a road bike might be faster than an aero bike, and visa versa. While
    >money won't necessarily get you speed, it will buy you light weight, and that's half the battle.
    >
    >Keep training!
    >
    >Spyder

  7. Dambox

    Dambox Guest

    Thanks for the feedback.

    On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 04:15:37 +0000 (UTC), dambox <[email protected]> wrote:

    >All,
    >
    >I am considering getting a new triatlon bike up to £3000. What bikes are considered the best at
    >present. I typically do Olympic distance events.
    >
    >Regards
    >David, England

    David, England

  8. Man is more important than the machine. Watch the age group losers look on in astonishment as I pass
    them on a mountain bike!