2003 Bianche Veloce pre-purchase opinions wanted

SuperSlinky

Guest
There is a 2003 Bianchi Veloce on EBay now that I am bidding on. It is
new, apparently a closeout. Anyone care to share opinions about this
bike and/or the 2003 Campy Veloce group? This will be my first road bike
purchase in about 20 years, so I'm a newbie when it comes to road bikes.

Bianchi's seem to me to be considerably different geometry than trek or
specialized. There are nice bikes since I have one of each of the listed. It
fits a little smaller (smaller size compared to other brands) for me. It
could be different for you though.

David
"SuperSlinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> There is a 2003 Bianchi Veloce on EBay now that I am bidding on. It is
> new, apparently a closeout. Anyone care to share opinions about this
> bike and/or the 2003 Campy Veloce group? This will be my first road bike
> purchase in about 20 years, so I'm a newbie when it comes to road bikes.

SuperSlinky <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> There is a 2003 Bianchi Veloce on EBay now that I am bidding on. It is
> new, apparently a closeout. Anyone care to share opinions about this
> bike and/or the 2003 Campy Veloce group? This will be my first road bike
> purchase in about 20 years, so I'm a newbie when it comes to road bikes.

Hi, Hope I can be of help here. I currently see 5 Bianchi Veloce's on
ebay right now. 4 are new. The 2 sellers I see, 13mark, and
bensbikes are both good reputable ebay sellers. I have done business
with both of them in the past, with absolutely no problems, so I think
you have nothing to worry about there. Thier superb feedback reflects
this.

I'll comment some about the Bianchi Veloce, as I have seen quite a few
of these, both older (2001), and new, current 2003-2004 models. (I own
a 2001 Bianchi Campione BTW also, with Veloce grouppo)

Around 2002-2003, Bianchi changed a few of it's mid-high priced models
to the new frame geometry, with sloping top tubes. This is generally
what many pro bikes now are, and it seems the ole conventional diamond
shaped frame geometry is becoming a bit harder to find as time goes
by, unless your looking at custom, or high end retro bikes. Newer
style frames are becoming more compact, and the benefit of this, is a
sturdier/stiffer frame, and the sloping downtube gives a bit better
leg/thigh clearance for pedaling up the hills also.

The Bianchi Veloce is a darn nice bike. And so is the Campy Veloce
group onboard. About the only two things that may suck on these bikes,
is the saddle, and the tires. The Selle Tri-Matic saddle might
castrate you, like mine did, and the Zaffiro Tires are basically
bottom of the line Vittoria.
Both will get you by for awhile, but these might be two things you may
consider upgrading after you hopefully get the bike. Who knows, you
might love the saddle, it's all personal choice, and personal
fit-comfort that count most.

With proper adjustment, and maintainence/lubrication, the Veloce
Calipers, Ergo Levers, and Derailleurs work marvelously. I have
absolutely no complaints with my Veloce group so far.

As far as general looks/cosmetics, there is not really much difference
between Campy Veloce, and Record top of the line. Mostly, weight, some
bearings here, and there,(Ergo levers, and Calipers) vs bushings, and
the cost are the difference.

After a few weeks of riding, and about 70-100 mi., I recommend taking
both Wheels to a reputable bike shop, and have both of them trued,
re-tension all spokes, and both Axles lubed, and properly adjusted.
Cost should be around $25-$35 for both.

The Mavic CXP-21's, or 33's aren't the lightest wheels they make, but
they are a pretty darn good reliable rim.

It's just that factory machine built wheels are not so meticulously
assembled, and checked/tensioned like a hand built wheel. By letting
a shop go over them, they will ride/run true, and hold thier true, and
spoke tension for a considerable longer amount of time than if you did
nothing. Many times too, Factory built axles are dry as a bone, and
awful tight on bearing adjustment.
Get them checked/lubed before any premature damage occurs to
Bearings-Bearing Races.

Best of luck on the auction! This is a great group with so many good,
helpful folks that have helped me considerably. Be sure to let us know
how it turns out. Mark D.

SuperSlinky <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> There is a 2003 Bianchi Veloce on EBay now that I am bidding on. It is
> new, apparently a closeout. Anyone care to share opinions about this
> bike and/or the 2003 Campy Veloce group? This will be my first road bike
> purchase in about 20 years, so I'm a newbie when it comes to road bikes.

Hi, SuperSlinky

I have an older Bianchi Veloce (1999), that I am still riding. It was
my first real road bike and I have been very happy with it. The bike
is a little heavy, but it has been very durable and reliable. Other
than routine maintenance and chain replacement, I have not had to do
any major adjustments or repairs to any of the components, except
those that I wanted to upgrade. Such as a new wheelset this year.
But the wheelset that came with the bike was great, never had a
problem with true or spokes. (I bent a rim when my bike fell over
while the front wheel was in a bike rack, so I decided to upgrade.)

Otherwise, the bike is all original equipment. The Veloce group has
worked flawlessly.

FYI, I am about 200lbs and ride about 1200 miles/year, which I know is
not very much compared to a lot of the riders who post here. I am a
road biker, but occasionally take the bike on "bike trails" in my
area, which are asphalt paved bike paths - the point is they are
riddled with cracks and tree roots coming through, but there was a
never a problem with the wheels or anything else.

I hope this helps with your decision good luck
Regards
Paul

[email protected] (Paul Romano) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

I have one (2003 model) and am very happy with it. I would like
to echo what other people have said about the frame size
(seems a little smaller than others) and checking the spoke
tensions.

As I recall, the double is steel frame and the triple is Al.
I understand 2003 was the last year the Veloce was made in
Italy.

Regards,

Thanks for all the input. Unfortunately, I was outbid. Good for the
seller, bad for me. I guess I go back fishing now.

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 20:27:18 GMT, SuperSlinky <[email protected]>
wrote:

>There is a 2003 Bianchi Veloce on EBay now that I am bidding on. It is
>new, apparently a closeout. Anyone care to share opinions about this
>bike and/or the 2003 Campy Veloce group? This will be my first road bike
>purchase in about 20 years, so I'm a newbie when it comes to road bikes.

My wife (a strong recreational rider) got a 2003 Veloce with the
triple Veloce group about a year ago. She absolutely loves it. Says
it has a very nice ride and handles better than any bike she's ridden.
It is the first experience with a Campy group I've had. I think if I
only had one bike, or could convert all my bikes to Campy, I'd do it.
I like it that much. Thing is, it would be too confusing for me to
switch between groups every time I rode a different bike. Other folks
might not have that problem. Anyway, I like the look, feel and
performance of the Campy Veloce group better than my Shimano Ultegra
and the Veloce frameset seems to be a winner.