2003 Bianchi Pista Advice

hahezz

Jan 5, 2005
Hi,

I have the oppurtunity to buy just the framset from a 2003 bianchi pista for $360. Or i could buy the whole bike for 550.00. I kind of wanted to build up my own bike, so thats why i am considering just the frameset. but is it even possible to build up a better bike than the factory version for under $600 once ive already spent $360? Or would i have a better bike as the factory version? Is $360 too much? Also, if I ever wanted to, can i go from a fixed gear to a single speed on this frame? i want this to be my main bike and its going to see NYC streets, is that a good idea?

I am sort of new to these thing, so thanks for any help or suggestions you have, and i apologize for being so naive. (i have never built my own bike...)

gary

hahezz said:
Hi,

I have the oppurtunity to buy just the framset from a 2003 bianchi pista for $360. Or i could buy the whole bike for 550.00. I kind of wanted to build up my own bike, so thats why i am considering just the frameset. but is it even possible to build up a better bike than the factory version for under $600 once ive already spent $360? Or would i have a better bike as the factory version? Is $360 too much? Also, if I ever wanted to, can i go from a fixed gear to a single speed on this frame? i want this to be my main bike and its going to see NYC streets, is that a good idea?

I am sort of new to these thing, so thanks for any help or suggestions you have, and i apologize for being so naive. (i have never built my own bike...)

gary

I would go for the complete bike. You'd be hard pressed to find ss wheels for the $190 difference let alone a complete set of components. I think that $550 is a little steep for a 2003 model as they were around that price new in '03. As for holding up on the streets of NY no problem Reynolds 520 should be plenty strong.

Buy the complete bike. While I think the Bianchi Pista is one of the best smile per $ bikes currently available, they are not top-of-the-line frames that would be worth outfitting with all the best stuff. Spending the extra money to buy the complete bike will save you money, and will also give you a complete bicycle whose parts are designed and adjusted to work together. Building a bike from a frame is fun, but is almost sure to cost more money while causing some headaches along the way. Buy the new and get out there and enjoy it. Good luck.

hahezz said:
Hi,

gary
Whole bike vs. Frame. I have been looking to upgrade my bike in the spring. I have looked close at a couple of Bianchi's. 2 different dealers in upstate NY told me that they gave up their dealership with Biachi for one reason. The wheel sets are assembled badly. They both said the wheel sets were made up of very good vendor parts but just assembled badly in Italy. I appears to be confusing because they said the rest of the bike was assembled with great care and they never had any problems with components, stem, seat or crank. So perhaps just the frame is the way to go. Has anyone else heard about the wheel assembly stuff?

Hass

hassmurphy said:
Whole bike vs. Frame. I have been looking to upgrade my bike in the spring. I have looked close at a couple of Bianchi's. 2 different dealers in upstate NY told me that they gave up their dealership with Biachi for one reason. The wheel sets are assembled badly. They both said the wheel sets were made up of very good vendor parts but just assembled badly in Italy. I appears to be confusing because they said the rest of the bike was assembled with great care and they never had any problems with components, stem, seat or crank. So perhaps just the frame is the way to go. Has anyone else heard about the wheel assembly stuff?

Hass
I have a set of bad Bianchi wheels. Chorus hubs, open pro rims, no name spokes and bad build. Lots of broken spokes. Only spokes I have ever broke. Obviously one could buy the frame set and complete it with much better parts,depending on budget and what the wanted to end up with.

Hey thanks for all the replys!

Do you think the wheel issue is isolated to one particular bike or year of manufacture?
Also, I think I am going to lose the clipless pedals if I buy the whole bike. I plan on walking a bit, and cycling shoes arent too terribly practical. Im willing to sacrafice the efficiency. Any recommendations for a toe-clippable pedal that will work with a soft soled shoe?

gary

hahezz said:
Hey thanks for all the replys!

Do you think the wheel issue is isolated to one particular bike or year of manufacture?
Also, I think I am going to lose the clipless pedals if I buy the whole bike. I plan on walking a bit, and cycling shoes arent too terribly practical. Im willing to sacrafice the efficiency. Any recommendations for a toe-clippable pedal that will work with a soft soled shoe?

gary

I have a 2003 pista. Great bike for the price, though, like another commenter pointed out, I paid $550 new in 2003. I would expect to pay much less now. Frankly, I think the 2004 looks better in any case.

The pista should come with a rear wheel you can reverse to ride either fixed on single speed. I had to buy an additional cog for the SS side. The fork is drilled for a brake, seat stays are not.

I rode mine on rough city streets in boston for two years before moving out here. No problems.

But the whole bike. If you want to upgrade later, it's easy to sell off the parts to fixed gear hipsters.