2003 Diamondback Zetec Pro

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Slime, Mar 15, 2004.

  1. Slime

    Slime Guest

    I have the opportunity to get this Diamondback with full
    XTR groupset, Shimano disc hubs and rims, Shimano
    integrated brake and shift levers and rockshock SID Team
    adjustable forks.

    Price ... brand new ... $3500.

    Any opinions?

    --
    Marc Bishop [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    What happened to the $2k budget?

    Do you need XTR? Are you racing? It's very expensive
    gear to fix/replace if you, for example, smash the rear
    deraileur off on a log or something.

    As for the frame, I'd guess that it's another Korean/Thai
    mass-produced job so it'll be similar to MANY other
    frames on the market. I'll wait to be corrected on that
    guess though.

    Got a link to it? What model is it?

    Check these:
    http://www.bikes.com.au/enter.html?target=BICYCLESMTB2004_Diamondback.html

    hippy

  3. Slime

    Slime Guest

    Frame is an Easton

    --
    Marc Bishop [email protected]

    > Slime wrote:
    > > I have the opportunity to get this Diamondback with
    > > full XTR groupset, Shimano disc hubs and rims, Shimano
    > > integrated brake and shift levers and rockshock SID
    > > Team adjustable forks. Price ... brand new ...
    $3500.
    > > Any opinions?
    >

    > What happened to the $2k budget?
    >
    > Do you need XTR? Are you racing? It's very expensive gear
    > to fix/replace if you, for example, smash the rear
    > deraileur off on a log or something.
    >
    > As for the frame, I'd guess that it's another Korean/Thai
    > mass-produced job so it'll be similar to MANY other
    > frames on the market. I'll wait to be corrected on that
    > guess though.
    >
    > Got a link to it? What model is it?
    >
    > Check these:ttp://www.bikes.com.au/enter.html?target=BICYCLESMTB2004_-
    > Diamondback.html
    >
    > hippy
    >

    > --

  4. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    > Slime wrote:
    > > I have the opportunity to get this Diamondback with
    > > full XTR groupset, Shimano disc hubs and rims, Shimano
    > > integrated brake and shift levers and rockshock SID
    > > Team adjustable forks. Price ... brand new ...$3500.
    > > Any opinions?
    >
    >Originally posted by Slime
    >Frame is an Easton

    Easton tubing is fine - doesn't mean the frames are built
    well, but DiamondBack are fairly common, if somewhat
    lowend, so this frame should be fine. Check www.mtbr.com
    for some reviews, google for the model name too.

    hippy

  5. eddiec

    eddiec New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004
    I haven't seen reviews of the 2003 model, but earlier models received quite rave reviews from what i saw.

    It's definitely a thoroughbred race bike. Which is great of course! but you may not need things like XTR and SIDs and thus can get away with spending less than that. $3500 doesn't seem like a bargain, but I may just be out of touch with the market.

    If you're into racing and want a whippet-like XC bike, go for it. If it's just for trail exploring and bouncing around I'd look for something else and save some $$ at the same time.

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    hippy <[email protected]> wrote:

    > DiamondBack are fairly common, if somewhat lowend

    A Diamondback seemed to do a reasonable job of getting Pat
    Jonkers over the line at the Tour Down Under.

    --
    Shane Stanley

  7. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    Did he actually ride a DB or was he just sponsored by
    them?

    I looked at their website and they don't have anything
    above Sora/Tiagra spec. (at least, that I could find).

    The only DB's I've seen are low-end, have you got a link
    to pics of Jonker's bike or anything? DB's team bikes?

    hippy

  8. eddiec

    eddiec New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004
    In the MTB world, Diamond Back's are fairly well respected, with our own Cadel Evans riding for them on his way to fame and fortune in his early days...

    They have some low end models for sure, but also some very tasty machinery, usually under the DBR branding...

  9. M. Atta

    M. Atta Guest

    I have a 02 Diamondback Comp, one dn from comp of that
    year.... Avid disks LX running gear traded up to Mazzochi
    air shocks Had a very good review in MTB aust.......cost me
    just under $2000 tough as thrown it many a time dn trails &
    keeps on going.......dont race but go with a few mates every
    weekend to various xc single trails.......more than enough
    for my ability...... The comp can only be better.....only
    draw back being price of xtr replacement parts..........

    But if u can afford it its nice...wont go any faster
    however.......except for the forks...good forks make a
    difference....

    MA

    "Shane Stanley" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    server.bigpond.net.au...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > hippy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > DiamondBack are fairly common, if somewhat lowend
    >
    > A Diamondback seemed to do a reasonable job of getting Pat
    > Jonkers over the line at the Tour Down Under.
    >
    > --
    > Shane Stanley

  10. In article <[email protected]>,
    hippy <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Did he actually ride a DB or was he just sponsored
    > by them?

    It looks like he rode one; have a look at the cover (make
    that covers) of 'Bicycing Australia' this month. And he said
    good things about them in a piece at cyclingnews.com.

    > I looked at their website and they don't have anything
    > above Sora/Tiagra spec. (at least, that I could find).
    >
    > The only DB's I've seen are low-end, have you got a link
    > to pics of Jonker's bike or anything? DB's team bikes?

    I think they're starting to move more upmarket in road
    bikes; DB have more a mountain bike background.

    But the more plastic frames I see, the less I think the
    maker's reputation or experience matters.

    --
    Shane Stanley