2003 Egg Beater choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doug Taylor

These are great pedals - they would have to be to get me to switch from Time ATAC after 5 years.
Easy in and out, unparalleled for shedding mud, light as feathers, simple design. You can get the
2002 chromoly model on closeout for as low as $50 from a bunch of on-line retailers while they last.

For 2003, Crank Brothers has 5 models available, from chromoly, to stainless, to 3 titanium
versions, selling from $100 - $400.

http://www.crankbrothers.com/products/pedals.php

All the pedals have cartridge bearings and bushings, which are replaceable with a rebuild kit. After
a year of use, I have noticed that the rebuild kit will be necessary because the bushings and/or
bearings have gotten mushy and sticky in my 2002 model.

Alternatively, Look has a license to sell a pedal with the same basic design, called the 4 X 4,
which are chromoly with ring and needle bearings
http://www.lookcycle.com/english/catalogue/2003/pedales.htm

Any opinions on whether the Look design might be better in respect to bearings for future purchases?

--dt

"Doug Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> These are great pedals - they would have to be to get me to switch from Time ATAC after 5 years.
> Easy in and out, unparalleled for Snip massive endorsement

Doug, How have they held up against rocks? I've been thinking on trying these out but I've heard
from the race boards that they tend to bend if you catch a rock or ledge ?

Cleanbean

Doug Taylor wrote:

>These are great pedals - they would have to be to get me to switch from Time ATAC after 5 years.
>Easy in and out, unparalleled for shedding mud, light as feathers, simple design. You can get
>the 2002 chromoly model on closeout for as low as $50 from a bunch of on-line retailers while
>they last.
>
>For 2003, Crank Brothers has 5 models available, from chromoly, to stainless, to 3 titanium
>versions, selling from $100 - $400.
>
>http://www.crankbrothers.com/products/pedals.php
>
>All the pedals have cartridge bearings and bushings, which are replaceable with a rebuild kit.
>After a year of use, I have noticed that the rebuild kit will be necessary because the bushings
>and/or bearings have gotten mushy and sticky in my 2002 model.
>
>Alternatively, Look has a license to sell a pedal with the same basic design, called the 4 X 4,
>which are chromoly with ring and needle bearings
>http://www.lookcycle.com/english/catalogue/2003/pedales.htm
>
>Any opinions on whether the Look design might be better in respect to bearings for future
>purchases?
>
>
>--dt
>
>
Hopefully they have addressed the hardware that secures the pedal body to the spindle, or rather,
sometimes does NOT. I have seen this happen with three different sets of Eggbeaters.

Don't get me wrong, I think overall they are a great product, and have heard mostly good things
about them.

A

"Doug Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> These are great pedals - they would have to be to get me to switch from Time ATAC after 5 years.
> Easy in and out, unparalleled for shedding mud, light as feathers, simple design. You can get
> the 2002 chromoly model on closeout for as low as $50 from a bunch of on-line retailers while
> they last.

They are beautiful as an XC pedal. Been using them for about a month now. I took them out for their
first real technical ride yesterday on National Trail at South Mountain in Phoenix, and boy howdy...
they kept coming unclipped when I didn't want them to! I noticed that my Time pedals take more force
to snap into, and they hold my feet in place better when I'm climbing technical terrain. In my
two-hour ride yesterday, they came unclipped about 5 times when I was expecting them to hold on.

However, when riding smooth and fast trails, they are absolutely perfect.

-John Morgan
--
To reply, please remove NOSPAM from the return address.

"Cleanbean" <[email protected]> wrote:

>How have they held up against rocks? I've been thinking on trying these out but I've heard from the
>race boards that they tend to bend if you catch a rock or ledge ?

I never had a problem hard and fast x-c trail riding and racing for about 9 months. I've hit my
share of rocks but no disasters. I don't do drops (over a foot) though :)

--dt

"John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Doug Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > These are great pedals - they would have to be to get me to switch from Time ATAC after 5 years.
> > Easy in and out, unparalleled for shedding mud, light as feathers, simple design. You can get
> > the 2002 chromoly model on closeout for as low as $50 from a bunch of on-line retailers while
> > they last.
>
> They are beautiful as an XC pedal. Been using them for about a month now. I took them out for
> their first real technical ride yesterday on National Trail at South Mountain in Phoenix, and boy
> howdy... they kept coming unclipped when I didn't want them to! I noticed that my Time pedals take
> more force to snap into, and they hold my feet in place better when I'm climbing technical
> terrain. In my two-hour ride yesterday, they came unclipped about 5 times when I was expecting
> them to hold on.
>
> However, when riding smooth and fast trails, they are absolutely perfect.
>
> -John Morgan
> --
> To reply, please remove NOSPAM from the return address.

John,

Were you using the 15 or 20 degree release angle? Do you think that It would make a difference?
--
Dave .../\.../\.../\...

> John,
>
> Were you using the 15 or 20 degree release angle? Do you think that It would make a difference?

Good point, I have them set up for the 15 degree release angle. If I changed it to 20 degree
release, it would probably stay clipped in better during those uphill struggles.

-John Morgan Duh!
--
To reply, please remove NOSPAM from the return address.

Status
Not open for further replies.